Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Basic installation of Art Department Professional  (Read 3035 times)

Description:

Offline Nick_66Topic starter

• Show only replies by Nick_66
Basic installation of Art Department Professional
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
Hi all,

I have a copy of the programm Art Department Professional which I want to install on my A1200.

I would like to display images made with my modern digital Olympus camera on my A1200 in HAM modus.

Like the guys on this video: https://youtu.be/eQmkOhFzzak

When I want to install this programm I have a lot of options. I want a basic installation of this programm which allows me to display images in HAM mode on my Amiga. Any forum members here who have some experience with this?

Is this also possible on my A500+ ?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Basic installation of Art Department Professional
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
If you just want to display images you might be better off with a picture viewer as opposed to a whole art package. Aminet is littered with 'em. ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
The video seems like a pretty comprehensive overview to me. Are you getting stuck with something in particular? As I recall, the ADPro 2.5 installer will walk you through everything for the installation. The default options should provide everything you need. If disk space is limited for some reason, you can skip the splitz/joinz and fractal components.

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
Quote from: Nick_66;828636
Hi all,

I have a copy of the programm Art Department Professional which I want to install on my A1200.

I would like to display images made with my modern digital Olympus camera on my A1200 in HAM modus.

Like the guys on this video: https://youtu.be/eQmkOhFzzak

When I want to install this programm I have a lot of options. I want a basic installation of this programm which allows me to display images in HAM mode on my Amiga. Any forum members here who have some experience with this?

Is this also possible on my A500+ ?

Man did those guys go on a bit. I have Adpro with that thick binder plus all the update disks but never use it. Here is what I do. I do use Photoshop on the PC to create IFF files and I also use a neat bit of software called Thumbs to convert the files to the sizes I need for the Amiga. I like Thumbs cus its a file manager for the PC . You can also use an old bit of PC software that came free with loads of disks called PaintShopPro which also saved in IFF format. Thumbs by Cerious also saves and previews all the Amiga formats on the PC.

Next up simply save to disk DD if you don't have a HD drive on your Amiga. File size is going to be an issue because images can be very large. That is why I like Thumbs cus I can vary the JPEG or IFF file output to get a smaller file size.

On the Amiga I use DOpus as my file manager and a simple tool called FastView set up on the button to show the images. Fastview is so small and easy to use. Great tool. You can also launch FastView from its own icon if you don't know how to set up a DOpus button.

To convert JPEG, GIF and IFF etc to other Amiga formats I use PPaint. This came free with so many Amiga magazines of the day. Great tool. Once you have converted your images if you need to say ILBM etc you can view them using DOpus on the click or create slideshows using one of the many utilities on Aminet.

Image file transfer uses CrossDOS to see on the Amiga side from a PC disk. You will have to have a floppy on a PC and format to the lower density size for the Amiga unless you have a HD drive. There are obviously other ways to get files onto the Amiga but I'm assuming you know all this.

For Jpegs jpgs and Gifs you will need the datatypes on your machine plus strangely a monitor that will display them. Avoid Multiview by the way. Waste of time.

So in summary... Use Photoshop and or PaintshopPro and a thumbnail viewer. Save to 880 and use CrossDOS to get onto the Amiga. Review with DOPus and maybe view with FastView and use PPaint to edit and play with the files.

Never used AdPro cus I never needed to. As a final comment, there is also ImageFX which is quite good . And there is always the old favourite DPaintIV.

And yes most generally work on the A500Plus, but if you have a 1200 use that. Lets hope you have a hard drive by the way.

PS DPaint will not see JPGs or GIFS that's why I use PPaint. And you need to save in IFF or ILBM format from the PC side. And lastly pictures from a modern camera will be huge. Maybe one picture twice the size of an old Amiga hard drive. Seriously. That's why you need a thumbnail viewer to review file sizes and be able to convert.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:52:10 PM by scuzzb494 »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 04:45:16 PM »
AdPro is best installed onto a hard drive rather than trying to run it from Floppies.

If you run "Expert Mode" on the installation, you get full control over where the different components are installed to.

You will not get much out of a 1MB Amiga, ie an unexpanded A500+. AdPro loads in one format, keeps that copy in memory, and lets you render (convert) the image data to other formats. Then you can save the new version. AdPro ALWAYS at 24 bit resolution internally, which is very memory intensive. But best fidelity when doing the maths.

I would recommend a minimum 2MB fast RAM / half MB chip RAM for AdPro. It only uses chip RAM to create Amiga friendly images, it loads different formats to fast RAM. Later versions will use chip RAM if that's all there is available.

Of course, you can have higher resolution Amiga images if you have more chip RAM, so A1200 or A500+ with extra fast RAM are generally better for using AdPro than A1000, A500, A2000 or A600. The A1200 will be able to display images in S-HAM8, unlike the A500+. But the A500+ and earlier machines can still render and save images in S-HAM8. They just can't display them. Interlaced S-HAM is the best they can show, unless you have a Newtek Dynamic HIRES renderer, which is unlikely. (Proprietary format). Or you have a real 24 bit card installed, which is a game changer.

Very simple point and click interface, can deal with batches of images, BEST image processor ever done on Amiga.

If you got a REALLY nice Miggy, you can even replicate the Bladerunner "let's zoom into a photograph" effect. Up to a point, anyway. IIRC there was a VMM option for AdPro, to allow for supersized images. Horribly slow but it did work (with a Memory Management Unit equipped Amiga).

AdPro changed it's name to MorphPlus when it got a Morphing function. The later the release, the more build in functions, loaders and savers it has. You can generally use later loader and saver plug ins with earlier versions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:10:14 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline dovegrace

• Committed Git
    • Show only replies by dovegrace
    • http://dovegrace.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:46:37 PM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;828642
And lastly pictures from a modern camera will be huge. Maybe one picture twice the size of an old Amiga hard drive. Seriously. That's why you need a thumbnail viewer to review file sizes and be able to convert.

Or, if you're stubborn and insist on using your Amiga (as I used to), you'll need a lot of RAM and twice as much patience.  I ended up throwing in the towel after a while and opted for Gimp on my Linux box.
A1200: 50mhz GVP Jaws II+, OS 3.1, 32mb Fast, 1gb HD, Indivision MKIICR, PCMCIA network
A4000D: stock 030/25, OS 3.9, 16mb Fast, 1gb HD, Picasso II, Ariadne II, IOExtender

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;828647
AdPro changed it's name to MorphPlus when it got a Morphing function. The later the release, the more build in functions, loaders and savers it has. You can generally use later loader and saver plug ins with earlier versions.

Not exactly. MorphPlus is a separate product with a high degree of interoperability (and shared modules) with ADPro. The ADPro 2.5 readme describes the order in which each program/upgrade should be installed in order for all the loaders/savers/operators to work correctly.

Offline rednova

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
Hi:

I use to have installed adpro in my (now dead) amiga 1200.
If you do the full install, you make sure to get the most out of it.
I suggest you do the full install, and then automatically you will
get the more choices for load/save different formats.
I still have the original disks in storage, waiting for when I upgrade
my amiga 2000 in the future. Adpro is really, a great program for
converting images from and to different formats.
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;828658
Not exactly. MorphPlus is a separate product with a high degree of interoperability (and shared modules) with ADPro. The ADPro 2.5 readme describes the order in which each program/upgrade should be installed in order for all the loaders/savers/operators to work correctly.

That isn't what the manual states... which could be wrong of course.

It says that Adpro 2.1b is the earliest version that will take the Morph operator. Which also means having a compatible version of FRED installed. You need the FRame EDitor to mark out areas for morphing, you don't need it just to load graphics files, render them and save them out in Amiga IFF style.

Barebones requirements - 1MB total memory (lot of operators unusable but should be able to load, render Amiga screens and save). You can install it to floppy, but you have to load Workbench from floppy and swap disks. Painfully slow.

Full capability - 4MB minimum (although may be limited in picture size).

The fact is, everybody still called it AdPro after ASDG changed the name. The brand was too strong to change.

I hope this is of use to the OP. It's true you don't need AdPro to convert screens to Amiga displayable, but quite frankly if you don't bother with it, you are missing out, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:38:55 PM by Pat the Cat »

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline number6

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;828701
That isn't what the manual states... which could be wrong of course.

It says that Adpro 2.1b is the earliest version that will take the Morph operator. Which also means having a compatible version of FRED installed. You need the FRame EDitor to mark out areas for morphing, you don't need it just to load graphics files, render them and save them out in Amiga IFF style.

Barebones requirements - 1MB total memory (lot of operators unusable but should be able to load, render Amiga screens and save). You can install it to floppy, but you have to load Workbench from floppy and swap disks. Painfully slow.

Full capability - 4MB minimum (although may be limited in picture size).

The fact is, everybody still called it AdPro after ASDG changed the name. The brand was too strong to change.

I hope this is of use to the OP. It's true you don't need AdPro to convert screens to Amiga displayable, but quite frankly if you don't bother with it, you are missing out, in my opinion.

In the context of this thread, this is really not important but...
Morph Plus from the makers of Art Department Professional.
Source
I assure you that if the product (AdPro) had changed names at ASDG I would know.

But feel free to ask Perry of ASDG, who still drops in here occassionally.
One thread he participated in

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
Quote from: number6;828709
In the context of this thread, this is really not important but...
Morph Plus from the makers of Art Department Professional.
Source
I assure you that if the product (AdPro) had changed names at ASDG I would know.

But feel free to ask Perry of ASDG, who still drops in here occassionally.
One thread he participated in

None of that alters the fact that Morph+ was "just" Adpro with a Morph operator. Or how it was marketed here (ASDG had no UK presence) or what the importer told the market what ASDG had decreed was happening with their product.

I say "just" because even without a Morph operator, AdPro is still excellent. :)

OP should find some pointers on using it here, it's the magazine with the only official full release (CU Amiga 57, May 1993). Pages 14-16, I think.

http://amr.abime.net/issue_603_pages

But, you won't get a full set of operators, loaders or savers with it. You have to hunt around for them and pop them into the right drawer of the installation.

It's either that or post the full manual, which probably wouldn't go down very well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:24:07 PM by Pat the Cat »

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
Quote from: dovegrace;828648
Or, if you're stubborn and insist on using your Amiga (as I used to), you'll need a lot of RAM and twice as much patience.  I ended up throwing in the towel after a while and opted for Gimp on my Linux box.
Or edit on a PC/Mac first. Save in a reduced resolution and iff format (I use Photogenics for that bit) and use them in your DPaint projects.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:05:28 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
I don't want to get too far off topic here, but, Pat, I assure you that ADPro was not renamed MorphPlus. I have the disks for both, and the MorphPlus disks are older. MorphPlus uses almost the same interface as ADPro and includes some - but not all - of ADPro's modules. MorphPlus is not an evolution of ADPro - it is a sister product.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »
Well Matt, MorphPlus manual states that;-

1) The Arexx Port name is "AdPro".

2) The Arexx port responds to all the same commands as AdPro, like "AdPro_to_Front", "AdPro_to_Back", etc.

3) The manual also states that AdPro and MorphPlus will not multitask with each other. You can install them yourself and try that.

If you run MorphPlus first, then Left-Amiga-N or M to get back to the Workbench, then try to run AdPro, you get the error message;-

"AdPro is already running".

So, even if MorphPlus isn't AdPro, it reports itself that way to the User, and to other programs, for instance Professional Page.

Go figure. And have a nice day. :laughing:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:12:43 PM by Pat the Cat »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »
Oh, they are definitely very closely related, absolutely. They share a lot of components, but not all. The "heart" of MorphPlus is the same as the "heart" of ADPro. All I am saying is that MorphPlus is not the "new name" for ADPro. They were sold as separate products.

Functionally, think of it this way:
ADPro = full image processing
MorphPlus = some image processing + morphing
or
MorphPlus = ADPro - some_modules + morphing