amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

» Amiga.org » Amiga computer related discussion » Amiga Desktop Audio and Video » music production on amiga....

Amiga Desktop Audio and Video Discuss Amiga related Audio and Video creation & manipulation here. post links to your songs, videos, hardware/software reviews etc.....

Old 07-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #21
bloodline
Master Sock Abuser
Points: 39,477, Level: 100 Points: 39,477, Level: 100 Points: 39,477, Level: 100
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Default Re: music production on amiga....

Quote:
Wilse wrote:
Quote:
spihunter wrote:
Using a tracker like Octamed with 8 bit samples makes a great hip hop sound. I wouldnt use it alone for a whole album though.

I like to use my A1200 running octamed, midi synced with my Mac running Logic. The two together make an awesome range of sound.
How exactly does that work?
I'm a recent convert to Logic Express but still dabble in OSS.
Welcome to the world of Logic! Just get OctaMED to receive Start/Stop and timing from Logic.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #22
Wilse
Premium Member
Points: 23,135, Level: 93 Points: 23,135, Level: 93 Points: 23,135, Level: 93
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Quote:
bloodline wrote:
Quote:
Wilse wrote:
Quote:
spihunter wrote:
Using a tracker like Octamed with 8 bit samples makes a great hip hop sound. I wouldnt use it alone for a whole album though.

I like to use my A1200 running octamed, midi synced with my Mac running Logic. The two together make an awesome range of sound.
How exactly does that work?
I'm a recent convert to Logic Express but still dabble in OSS.
Welcome to the world of Logic! Just get OctaMED to receive Start/Stop and timing from Logic.
Cheers.

As yet I've only been using the internal instruments so haven't even connected up any outboard gear at all. Is it pretty straightforward?
Some more experimental stuff here.
Wilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
cybernoid
Beginner
Points: 3,312, Level: 35 Points: 3,312, Level: 35 Points: 3,312, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

I would go directly for an amiga 3000 SCSI with hively tracker and eagleplayer (you got to spend some time to configure, but then it's astonishing great!)
Then if u want even better powerful sound than paula (you heard it! it's powerful.) go get any 16/24 bits Amiga Card - They are diamonds of hardware, even nowadays.

If you're in my position - a4000 owner (1200 its pretty the same), youll find that youll need a VERY EXPENSIVE scandoubler. So... you may try linux'soundtracker. It's not the same thing - lot's worst than hively tracker, but it's not emulated...
You can hear i do with soundtracker-linux (1st 2 songs) - they are just 100kb each one...
2 sound modules
cybernoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #24
drlemming
Merely Curious
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eniac View Post
im trying to get my hands on a a1200, but they are getting rare here in oz, eventually i will, but im a hiphop producer and im into "alternative" means (eg not using reason and protools) of production. what music production suites are available for the amiga? i thought i may be able to get some sounds out of it that would be amiga only.
back in my amiga days i was only a guitar player.
You might be interested in http://www.assampler.com/ that allows to create sounds by plugging together sound processes like oscillators, noise, filters.
drlemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #25
XDelusion
Alien Breeder
Points: 38,662, Level: 100 Points: 38,662, Level: 100 Points: 38,662, Level: 100
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Send a message via ICQ to XDelusion

HD-Rec

http://hd-rec.de/HD-Rec/index.php?site=screenshots

I want an 060 just for this!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs
XDelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #26
XDelusion
Alien Breeder
Points: 38,662, Level: 100 Points: 38,662, Level: 100 Points: 38,662, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
I like the megalosound too and use it a great deal, but I find you often get better (more controllable) results to sample on a modern high quality machine and then downsample to 8bit (using the best dithering algorithm your DAW software allows) and then use the lovely paula chips for playback via OctaMED.
"dithering algorithm your DAW software allows"

What do you mean by that? Can you explain what you do so I can imagine what you are talking about and duplicate it?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs
Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #27
BluPhenix316
Merely Curious
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Check out the music group Crystal Castles, they have taken the old computer and game chips and made a weird style out of it
BluPhenix316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #28
bloodline
Master Sock Abuser
Points: 39,477, Level: 100 Points: 39,477, Level: 100 Points: 39,477, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
"dithering algorithm your DAW software allows"

What do you mean by that? Can you explain what you do so I can imagine what you are talking about and duplicate it?
What software do you use on your PC/Mac?

I use Logic Pro on a Mac, with a 24bit 96khz audio interface. With this setup I can sample all my audio sources (which more often than not, will be something noisy I've found ) at a very high quality. I will then bounce the 24bit 96khz audio down to 8bit 16khz, through a few different noise shaping filters an then pick the one that sounds best.

Put your samples on a 720k formated disk and load them
into OctaMED! Bam! Lovely HQ samples on your Amiga... Which you can then sequence and record back into the Mac at super high quality... It does gives the audio a very distinctive sound!

Over the past few years though, I have found that the same effect can be achieved by using a "BitCrusher" and an EQ directly in Logic... This saves having to use the Amiga.

The one thing that I do still need is to write an audio effect that adds the Amiga's nonlinear DAC colour to the audio, I have all the data I need... I just need to sit down and write the AudioUnit effect for Logic
Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #29
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

No mac, just a PC with a Sound Blaster Pro

As for software I've been using GoldWave Studio
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #30
bloodline
Master Sock Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
No mac, just a PC with a Sound Blaster Pro

As for software I've been using GoldWave Studio
Ok, I've never used that one... But it should have a 16bit->8bit converter there somewhere
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #31
bubblebobble
Hobbyist
Points: 5,338, Level: 46 Points: 5,338, Level: 46 Points: 5,338, Level: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by eniac View Post
im trying to get my hands on a a1200, but they are getting rare here in oz, eventually i will, but im a hiphop producer and im into "alternative" means (eg not using reason and protools) of production. what music production suites are available for the amiga? i thought i may be able to get some sounds out of it that would be amiga only.
back in my amiga days i was only a guitar player.

im not interested in hooking up midi modules to it as that isnt using the sounds of the amiga....
The Amiga is sample based, that means in theory it doenst have any unique, characteristic sound at all.
However, due to some limitations, there is some kind of Amiga-like sound. Especially because most other Computer had either much worse or much better Audio.

To sound like an Amiga you don't need an Amiga. Just keep to the following rules:

1. Use 8 bit samples or simulate this via a bitcrusher effect. 6 or 7 bit are ok too and make the low-fi impression more intense.
2. Use low and different samplingrates for different sounds. The sampling rate has a greater impact to the low-fi impression. 8bit only adds noise, low sampling rate add aliasing artefacts that are much stronger associated with low-fi sound ideals.
e.g. a Bass sound 4-8kHz, Melody instrument or drums ~12kHz and ~20kHz for high hats.
3. Use staight samples, no resonance filters or multisamples.
4. Use very few channels, the Amiga had only 4. But every channel must have a characteristic, "important" instrument. No decoration or subtile filler sounds. E.g. squeeze the Drums into one channel, by playing Hihats only when there is no other drum sound at this time tick.
5. Avoid DSP effects like Reverb. Make the samples "dry" and short. Amiga samples had no long out-fading because of memory limitations and this doesnt sound pleasent in 8bit.
6. Keep to samples from synthesizers that were popular around 1990, like the famous Yamaha DX10, many many Amiga MOD samples are taken from this synth (FM Synthesis).

Things like a "unique" sound of the Paula Chip are a myth and irrelevant to create something "amigasoundish". Of course the frequency response of the Paula Chip has some influence, but honestly, who would ever notice this and how much of it ends up in our ears after all the audio devices in between till the sound reaches physically our ear.
You already gain a lot of athmosphere if you drastically undersample the bass sound, e.g. by using only 4kHz sampling rate.

I personally find it very pleasent to mix the undersampled/8 or less bit-crushed sound with the original sound. I did this here in one of the sounds that is played later in the song, some kind of "blurb" sound:
http://www.hd-rec.de/Archive/DemoSongs/Sarcophaser.mp3

(this mp3 is btw. produced 100% using HD-Rec and Sweeper, the only real Realtime Software Synthesizer on Amiga (except Bernd Röschs' Sampler and Pasis' Organ Simulator, both HD-Rec Plugins).

Last edited by bubblebobble; 05-18-2010 at 07:10 AM..
bubblebobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #32
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I notice a HUGE difference when playing my work in WinUAE and on my Amiga 1200. Digital just looses something, even with all these added effects various audio software has.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
TheBilgeRat
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,020, Level: 63 Points: 9,020, Level: 63 Points: 9,020, Level: 63
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Overall, maybe its not about the acoustics but the fact its being done on a Miggy some 20 years after the fact
TheBilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #34
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Both for me.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #35
TheGoose
Defender of the Faith
Points: 13,413, Level: 75 Points: 13,413, Level: 75 Points: 13,413, Level: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBilgeRat View Post
Overall, maybe its not about the acoustics but the fact its being done on a Miggy some 20 years after the fact
Yeah, using old stuff in lieu of the new stuff.

I'm on Google +

Last edited by TheGoose; 05-25-2010 at 03:04 PM..
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote