Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pre hard drive install question  (Read 1258 times)

Description:

Offline AcillTopic starter

Pre hard drive install question
« on: February 21, 2004, 12:55:19 AM »
I've got a question for all you guys. I was luck today and decided to enter in the serial on an 80GB IDE Western Digital drive I had go bad on me about a year ago. The thing is still covered under warrenty! I now have a new 120GB drive on the way since they no longer make the one I had. If I use an OS 3.9 emergency boot disk will the large drive support work to format this drive and use it in place of my 3GB drive I use now?
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Jope

Re: Pre hard drive install question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 07:08:55 AM »
Ok, it should..

Remember to keep the first partition within the first 4GB if you decide to go that way..

I'd suggest using PFS3 or SFS instead of FFS on the disk - you'll end up with lots of problems with FFS..

If you want to be sure it works, try to copy it 100% full of stuff and test whether that stuff still works. (yes, it's a tedious job :-)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 08:05:26 AM »
If you want to be sure it works, try to copy it 100% full of stuff and test whether that stuff still works. (yes, it's a tedious job :-)

Heh... tedious and not very accurate.  Might want to write a test program that makes a bunch of various sized files, and then tests to see if they can be read back accurately.  Maybe 10 files each, starting with 10kb, and then 10 100kb, 10 1mb, 10 10mb, and the rest in 100mb files, just to kick it to the end of the drive.  ;-)

Would be a pretty simple program in any language, and if you did a little research and tweaked the file sizes (mine are guesses), it could detect things like MaxTransfer problems, or glitches that may be introduced in SCSI data, as well.

Hmm...  Maybe I do come up with a good idea every once in a while.  ;-)

Offline Jope

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 01:46:57 PM »
Umm, basically all you need is to have a bunch of files that you've made md5sums. Then you fill the disk and verify the checksums of the files.

That way you can see if the OS / ide driver wraps around at some point.

I personally haven't used that big disks on classic hardware, so I can't 100% surely say that yes, it will work without problems.