Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga Wiki Soapbox  (Read 1802 times)

Description:

Offline alxTopic starter

The Amiga Wiki Soapbox
« on: April 03, 2005, 11:48:03 PM »
Ever wanted to express your view on what should be happening to the Amiga, write up a quick show report or reminisce about the past, but lacked the necessary  webspace and felt that it wasn't suitable for inclusion in a formal article on a site?  

We think we've got the answer - a new feature on the Amiga Wiki where anyone can write and comment on articles about our favourite platform(s).  Just follow the few basic rules and post your masterpiece; as with the rest of the wiki you can directly edit the pages!

Whilst you're over there why not see if you can contibute to any of the encyclopaedia articles?  And keep watching for news - more new features will be arriving sometime soon...

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
Re: The Amiga Wiki Soapbox
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:41:21 PM »
Ever wanted to express your view on what should be happening to the Amiga, write up a quick show report or reminisce about the past, but lacked the necessary webspace and felt that it wasn't suitable for inclusion in a formal article on a site?

no, not really.

Offline alxTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:37:21 PM »
@MarkTime

Maybe others will though.  After I added the new section, I remembered that Amiga.org tried something similar a while back and never got much of a response *.  Searching through the archives, it seems that you were more positive then :-P I'm hoping that the reason it didn't take off was simply because people weren't confident enough to get their stuff moderated and added - with a wiki, it's far easier to add a short article of no real importance, like a couple of paragraphs about a show.

But if no-one writes anything then it's hardly the end of the world - I've got a few ideas of things so that page would become a personal blog 8-) It's not as if adding a few extra pages to the wiki constitutes a huge investment by me :lol:

*Sorry about nicking the name, Wayne - it seemed a logical title and I've only just realised that you must have thought the same ;-)

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 06:48:54 PM »
From the rules:
This feature is intended to promote positive imput and discussion, though that's not to say that we'll ban any hint of controversy. Obvious trolling and "Amiga is dead" articles without good justification aren't wanted,...

It's controversial and not positive to state what's been obvious for a decade, and to follow official Amiga, Inc. trademark guidelines as stated on their website ("Do not write 'the new Amiga'", etc.)? :D

I think the word you're looking for is not "controversy" in this case, but "redundancy".

If you mean the company "Amiga, Inc", I guess it wouldn't be too hard for many to justify writing an article about their death.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline alxTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 07:01:57 PM »
@Seehund

Note the "without good justification" caveat.  If you or someone else can write a well reasoned article on why the platform cannot survive then that's OK.  If you think that Amiga, Inc are heading in the wrong direction and cannot survive then, providing it's well argued and not libellous, there's no reason why it cannot stay.  I know that you have some fairly well put together arguments about the "AmigaOne" licensing.  I don't agree with all your points, but if you write them down in a way that isn't too inflammatory then that's OK - people can always comment on the article to make a rebuttal.

On the other hand, if someone just shouts out "Amiga is dead" then that isn't wanted.  If someone's screaming "Bill Buck/McEwen's an idiot" then that'll go.

Certain types of articles will be subject to closer than usual scrutiny, but that doesn't mean they'll be deleted.  I'd just rather that the content doesn't gravitate to the usual black hole of flamewars.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:08:04 PM »
@alx,

of course, I think any time someone tries to do something new, or provide a free service, then kudos.

on the other hand, this is exactly what has become increasingly tiresome and droll about this community.

good luck anyway.