Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Useable PPC Emulator  (Read 3696 times)

Description:

Offline Jethro_TullTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jethro_Tull
Useable PPC Emulator
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:43:02 PM »
While browsing through my favourite web sites, I stumbled upon this intriguing little program.  It claims to emulate a PPC based platform at reasonable speeds.  To back the author's claims, a reviewer on www.osnews.com has succesfully booted MacOS X on his low-spec x86 PC.  Since the emulator is open source, building an AmigaOne emulator should be relativly easy, as long as the April northbridge specs are avaiable.  Just imagine running the long awaited OS4 and your Amiga programs on your cheap, powerfull PC!  

Links below:

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/about.html

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7085

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Useable PPC Emulator
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:50:10 PM »
And how would one get hold of OS4 to run on their cheap powerful PC? It won't be on KazZaA, for sure.

Offline locutus

• Show only replies by locutus
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »
Okay, i'll comment on this thingy.

I installed it a couple of days ago, and started to hack around with it, it is possible to install OSX ofcourse, but the speed is dog slow :-)

The Gfx and I/O performence of the emulation isn't that bad at all, but the CPU Core is lacking.

The CPU core exists atm in 2 versions, a purely interpreting core, and a Just In Time Compiler (think Amithlon's m68k core).

What most people assume to be such a big problem is the amount of registers the PPC has, this actually isn't THAT big of a problem at all, in interpretive mode it will indeed waste quite a bit of cycles (less then you might assume, as the 'registers' stay in L1 Data cache) on JIT this is only a problem when running a piece of code for the first time, after that the code will get ranslated to native x86 code (the "Just in time COMPILATION" thingy, right ? ;-) *grin* )

/ I think i just hitted a Post-lenght barrier /

Offline locutus

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:01:07 PM »
The really big performence problems atm are mostly Adressing related, as atm the CPU has to manually recalculate the Adress range conversion from PPC to x86 (the dev of this piece of software said to me that he was thinking about doing something with the x86 MMU to handle this), more or less also comes with this Branching, which is awefully slow at the moment.

An estimation could be made that one could get this Emulation core to quite a bit more speed (the code is horrible btw imo) but it still will never be really fast (because x86/PPC translation is rather heavy).

To sum it up a bit:

It is a very nice piece of hardware (for version 0.1.1), BUT do _NOT_ expect to get any kind of decent performence on this emulator (MorphOS doesn't run by the way)

// argh again hit the limit //

Offline locutus

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:03:59 PM »
Neither expect to be ever able to use this kind of emulation in the same way as the m68k JIT from UAE/Amithlon (running AmigaOS faster then on the real hardware).

But, who am i to ramble about this stuff ? i'm not developing it, so please, dont torch me down when Seppel (the main dev) miraciously gets it to 70% Efficiency.

And on my own experience with this emulator, installing OSX in a minimum install took 11 Hours on this Duron1300, yes i know, LOW end stuff and that people WILL comment on that, but still it shows that it's not performence you are getting atm :)

Anyway, i'm stopping with rambling now.

-- Locutus

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:11:45 PM »
Maybe the post length is limited on news items? The number of posts on news items is unlimited, so when there's a lot of posts a news item page takes forever to load. Maybe limiting post length is the cheap way AO is trying to keep the load times down. "Cheap" because it would make more sense to wrap to several different pages when the post count goes up like in the forums.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 09:32:55 PM »
Since the emulator is open source, building an AmigaOne emulator should be relativly easy, as long as the April northbridge specs are avaiable.

In fact its a Mai Articia Northbridge in the Amiga One, April was a chip from some other company ;-)

Offline locutus

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 10:02:38 PM »
And actually emulating that wont be needed at all :-)

(just the memory map has to be the same)

Offline Etho

• Show only replies by Etho
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 10:03:14 PM »
Has anyone installed Mac OSX 10.2? I tried but I got a strange read only error message from the install script!

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 10:34:43 PM »
And how would one get hold of OS4 to run on their cheap powerful PC?

By buying it when it's released?!

Oh... I see what you mean! :lol:

WinUAE has become faster and more stable over time, I see no reason why a PPC emulator won't be any different. :-)

Steve.

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 11:22:49 PM »

And actually emulating that wont be needed at all
(just the memory map has to be the same)

The bigger problem will be to emulate uboot and the "secret os4 enabling code"/dongle in the Amiga One Bios. Besides that, everyone who wanted to run os4 emulated on x86 legally would have to buy an A1 board.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 05:38:10 AM »
I've already voiced my concerns about this in the associated Forum thread. In summary: It's bad news if OS4/MOS gets running under emulation.

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 08:29:25 AM »
Give and take CPU power goes up 2 more Ghz or more, probably emulation speed, and a few updates and bug fixes later, will also increase. So as MATT would suggest, that this could be bad news for PPC users(including MAC users) cause the reason to buy PPC mobo will cease. Reminds me a bit like NewTek VT  and LightWave being ported to PC. The reason for buying an Amiga also was history(sadly though) :-(

Good day to all Amigans!  :-D
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »
I've already voiced my concerns about this in the associated Forum thread. In summary: It's bad news if OS4/MOS gets running under emulation.

If an architecture can be emulated at near full speed on similar spec hardware, it's not a good architecture.  ;-)

Seriously, I'd be more worried about hacking AmigaOS to other PPC platforms.  If a single person can write a Direct3D wrapper for Glide, a good cracker team can get OS4 running on a Mac or Pesasos (PegasosI has the same northbrige, remember?)

Once you go to PowerPC, you're stuck with it.  I doubt emulation by itself really poses any threat to the Amiga market.  I'm still pissed about the decision to go PPC native instead going the route of a virtual CPU, but I've already complained enough about x86 vs PPC in the past.  People should stop stirring up the emulation paranoia.

Offline djbase

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 10:49:45 AM »
You have to buy a 3 GHz x86 to emulate something like a 75 MHz
Pseudo-G3. What will I need to emulate a G4 1GHz or a G5 2 GHz? And
all people now screaming that the PPC will die.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2