Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SCSI HDD - SYS PARTITION FULL  (Read 1852 times)

Description:

Offline dvvrue95Topic starter

• Show only replies by dvvrue95
SCSI HDD - SYS PARTITION FULL
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
Hi folks,

just looking for the best way forward out of my little problem, which is :-

1 Desktop A400/04 with IBM 1G+ SCSI drive partitioned as
SYS (HD0) 10Meg and WORK (HD1) 1Gig.(no unused space)

The SYS partition is now full although the WORK partition is only 12% full.

I also have a Warpengine, Hydra ethernet and a Retina Graphics cards fitted (but no original setup disks).

I am currently considering the following options to increase the SYS partition size;

a) fit a (temporary) IDE drive to the A4000 IDE I/F to allow me to backup the current data on the SCSI drive and then repartition the SCSI drive and then copy back from the IDE drive or
b) setup and use a FTP connection to copy to another A4000 I have and then repartition the SCSI drive and restore the files over the FTP link.

Queries are

1. Can you connect a IDE drive and a SCSI drive on the same 4000? (I noticed the existing HDToolbox seems to be setup for SCSI drives)?
2. I'm not a FTP command expert but there did not appear to be any global get or put commands, so I could be spending a lot of time "getting" and "putting" individual files. I would be using MiamiFTP.
3. Any other ideas?

many thanks, Ian
\\"I keep six honest serving men
They taught me all I knew
Their names are What and Why
and When and How and Where and Who\\"
.......... Rudyard Kipling

Offline davideo

Re: SCSI HDD - SYS PARTITION FULL
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »
@Ian

Point 1 - My 4000D has a hard drive and CD drive connected to the Warp. Also a 40GB HD on the internal IDE. Works without faults.

Point 3 - What about getting a larger HD and settig that up?

Dave G  8-)

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
I don't think a larger hard drive is really required, the second partition is only 12% used. But I do have to ask "why did you give yourself such a puny boot part?" You're bound to run into avoidable difficulties that way. :lol:

I'd temporarily attach another device and copy everything to there (it only needs 130MB of space) and then repartition that SCSI drive in a more sensible fashion - say 100MB for Workbench and the rest for whatever (or even the whole drive as just one part, my favourite way). It'll probably be faster and easier than ftp-ing around.
:)

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

3. Any other ideas?

I am quite sure that with this large amount of free space it should be possible to repartition without the need of additional space. But this method is an adventure rather than a secure procedure. It implied to create a partition inside the area of another partition with the potential risk of complete data loss. Also it needs some knowledge of the internal file system structures and probably some programming.

So if you love your data, you should back it up first. And once you have a backup, you don't need the adventurous method any more.

Nevertheless how it could work:

- get MakeMountList from Aminet, create a mount list for the HD1 partition and store it on the HD0 partition.
- examine the bitmap of the HD1 partition to find about 200 MB of contignous free space.
- use HDToolbox to delete the HD1 partition and create a new HD2 partition which covers only the free space discovered before. Make it bootable with a boot priority lower than that of HD0 (probably -1).
- reboot and quick-format the new HD2 partition.
- mount the old HD1 partition using the mount list created before.
- copy all files from HD0 to HD2. Copy all files from HD1 into a (new) directory on HD2.
- use HDToolbox to delete HD0. Make a new HD0 which is about 200 MB. Do not yet make it bootable. Or make it bootable and use the Early-Startup-Menu to boot from HD2.
- reboot (from HD2) and quick-format the new HD0.
- copy all files from HD2 to HD0.
- use HDToolbox to delete HD2 and create a new HD1.
- for future use you should divide the 800 MB remaining space into HD1 and HD2, both 400 MB.
- don't forget to make HD0 bootable if it isn't yet.
- reboot, quick-format HD1 and HD2 and copy the files from the HD1-backup directory to the new HD1 partition.

Step 2 is tricky. :-D

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
Hi folks,

thanks for the feedback, my SYS partition size came with the A4000 I'm afraid. Ehmm Thomas I can see where you are coming from but it does sound like dissapearing up your own partition as it were! So I went for what seemed like the easy option .......

I installed a 10G Fujitsu IDE drive already prepped into 2 4G partitions using the HDToolbox in existing SYS(HD0). To do this I had to comment out the SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=warpdrive.device in the HDToolbox info, otherwise it only scanned the warpdrive, perhaps thats how HDToolbox works?
I set the drive details by using the "read config" option and checked that FDH0 was not bootableand saved the changes. At this point everything  was looking good I had two new icons FDH0 and FDH1 as  well as the old SYS and WORK. I did a warm restart (CTRL+AA) and agian everything looked fine so I THEN COPIED THE CONTENTS OF SYS TO FDH0 AND WORK TO FDH1 still not making FDH0 bootable. I then powered the system off and on ..... I had now "lost" my FDH0 and FDH1 icons I only had my original SYS and WORK icons. Using DirOpus I could not find the new partitions. THe only way the "restore" them was to run HDToolbox agin, initially on opening HDToolbox it still showed the new drive (as unchanged) but it was only after running the change drive option and saving the changes which meant changing to and from making either FDH0 or FDH1 bootable/non bootable did the drive partitions reappear on the system???? In view of the above I have not tried to boot from the new drive yet.
I have 3.0 roms and 3.0 workbench running.
If I use the Check4GB program I get the following results

Name Volume Size Device Unit Version Type >4GB Check

FDH0  blank 4013M scsi    0    37.44  DOS1  No  OK
FDH1  FDH1  4013M scsi    0    37.44  DOS1  Yes *T
HD0   System  10M warpdrv 1    40.66  DOS1  No  OK
HD1   Work  1023M warpdrv 1    40.66  DOS1  No  OK

I have not changed any jumper setting on the wardrive since I connected the IDE drive to the A4000 mother board.

Any ideas much appreaciated - so much for the easy option!

Ian

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Hi,

Re: 2 and FTPing, mget and mput are your friends!

But you've still got to manually sort out directories...

Probably best to lha/zip up your SYS partition into a few files and transfer those.

- Ali

Offline Thomas

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »

I installed a 10G Fujitsu IDE drive already prepped into 2 4G partitions

At this point everything was looking good I had two new icons FDH0 and FDH1 as well as the old SYS and WORK. I did a warm restart (CTRL+AA) and agian everything looked fine so I THEN COPIED THE CONTENTS OF SYS TO FDH0 AND WORK TO FDH1 still not making FDH0 bootable. I then powered the system off and on ..... I had now "lost" my FDH0 and FDH1 icons I only had my original SYS and WORK icons.

That's the normal way how the 4GB problem shows up.
Make one 500 MB partition and two 1700 MB partitions and leave the rest empty, then you are fine.

Why two 1700 and not one 3400 ? Because values bigger than 2GB will show as negative numbers and give annoying problems. You are upgrading from one 1000 MB HDD, so 1700 MB for one partition should be plenty.

And why 3400 and not 3500 ? Because 4000 MB (500 + 3500) might still be too close to 4GB. Values shown in HDToolbox might be rounded down.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »
Hi Thomas,

OK followed your suggestions, I now have :-

FDH0 499M
FDH1 1500M
FDH2 1500M

IDE partitions but ...... still no joy i.e. same things happen if I power off I "lose" the above icons and and devices unless I re-enter HDToolbox and effect some change to the IDE disk. In which cas if I simply change a boot priority the icons return and the partitions are the correct sizes. I also tried just partitioning one partition of approx 500M (FDH0) and the same thing happened!

Ian

Offline Thomas

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »

if I power off I "lose" the above icons and and devices unless I re-enter HDToolbox and effect some change to the IDE disk.

Are you sure you need to change something ? Doesn't a warm reboot (Ctrl-A-A) activate the IDE drive ?

If it does, this is a common problem with IDE drives and Kickstart 3.0: the drive spins up too slow to be recognised at once.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
Hi Thomas (again),

Well done you got it in one!

'Cause I have the Retina graphics card installed I use a PC flatscreen LCD which does not sync down at default screen mode so I was getting on a warm reboot a blank (black) LCD screen. The reason for the default screen mode resulted from me playing about with making FDH0 bootable/nonbootable. I was able to confirm this by connecting a Amiga multisync monitor to the standard video O/P of the A4000.
Having made FDH0 nonbootable I can now get the IDE partitions to "appear"by warm booting.

Anyone know if there is a workaround of the "slow IDE problem" with 3.0 roms?
Mind you the sooner I copy the scsi files to the ide and reformat the scsi, perhaps I won't need a workaround.

many thanks again from a user who is more  used to WB3.1/3.5 - Ian

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »
:)

Offline Thomas

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
Anyone know if there is a workaround of the "slow IDE problem" with 3.0 roms?

I think there is no workaround which makes the IDE drive available immediately after power-on. But if you keep the SCSI drive and keep it bootable, you can add something like this to the beginning of the startup-sequence on HD0:

Code: [Select]

assign >nil: exists FDH0:
if warn
  reboot
endif

You need the Reboot program which is in the C directory of the Install disk. Copy it to c: of HD0.

Alternatively, if you install software which makes the upper 6 GB of the 10 GB HDD available (for example IDE-fix a.k.a. IDE-max), it will imply a rescan of the IDE bus, so the problem will disappear by itself (given that you still boot from the SCSI drive first).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Iggy_Drougge

• Show only replies by Iggy_Drougge
    • http://www.kristallpojken.org
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:51:33 AM »

InTheSand wrote:

Re: 2 and FTPing, mget and mput are your friends!

Yes, but why use FTP between Amigas when you can use NetFS?
A4000/25MHz/64MB/20GB/RetinaBLTZ3/FastlaneZ3/CatweaselMKIII/Ariadne/A2301
A3000/40MHz/32MB/6GB/Merlin/Buddha/X-Surf/FrameMachineII+Prism24
Draco60/50MHz/128MB/15GB/Altais/DracoMotion/DV/IOblix+net

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:01:53 AM »
Can you run NetFS under Miami or does it only work under AmiTCP?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »

Miami should be compatible to AmiTCP.