Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: os 3.9 security and updates.  (Read 2157 times)

Description:

Offline monamiTopic starter

• Show only replies by monami
os 3.9 security and updates.
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:07 PM »
what security and confidence do you have in os 3.9 online? are we in a linux "no need for virus scanner position?" and what basic security updates have there been since it was released. (i am assuming none.)
other than that what are the essential programs when online? is there anything like real player or a plugin for a lowly 040? thanks.
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline Heinz

• Show only replies by Heinz
    • http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de
Re: os 3.9 security and updates.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:12 PM »
If you want a virus on your amiga, you have to code it yourself ;)

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:20:51 PM »
Amiga OS is not a secure operating system--no memory protection, no access control, etc.--so it's really up to you to determine what's safe to execute and what's not. (Actually, it's always up to you, regardless of the operating system.) I'd say the risk of a remote attack is almost nil, but using a simple firewall and address translation--features provided by most consumer routers--should mitigate any risk.

And it's probably a good idea to stay away random collections of games. There's a good chance they're pooh. Others on the forum can point out the best antivirus solutions for the Amiga.

I don't use my Amigas for online entertainment, so I don't have anything to recommend re: software.

Offline amigagr

• Show only replies by amigagr
    • http://www.amigahellas.gr
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
but it's always possible to infect from an old floppy so take a look at  [color=ff0000]virus help denmark[/color]
A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/MorphOS 2.7/Debian 5.0.7/SUSE 11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8
Long Live Amiga

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
at least let me keep the latest versions.
Neil Bothwick

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »
I hate virus protection software, they hog down the computer.
Use a Virtual Machine to test out software, and for Amiga, use Emulation. I've been running virusfree since a long time now, and I have no antivirus software running. Once in a while I do install one, check the whole system, and uninstall it.

The best way to avoid virii is to use common sense.

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:11:44 AM »

Krusher wrote:
Use a Virtual Machine to test out software, and for Amiga, use Emulation. I've been running virusfree since a long time now, and I have no antivirus software running. Once in a while I do install one, check the whole system, and uninstall it.

The best way to avoid virii is to use common sense.

A man after my own heart! - & I thought I was the only one!  :-D

PS not the Emulation tho` ;-)
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline pVC

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25:35 AM »
I'd install some virus scanner with latest xvs.library. You can get them from Virus Help DK pages mentioned earlier. I think it's not necessary to run them all the time at background... just check any new files you're going to install or run and do full disk scan sometimes.

Although there probably isn't any new viruses, old viruses can make trouble still. For example the HNY96 virus is still quite commmon. You can see arcives infected by it several times a year still. For example there is one demoscene production containing it released this year already.

And about security risks when going online with OS3.9... you should notice that Genesis TCP/IP stack has filesharing capatibilities (like Samba) enabled by default and any other Amiga user can mount any of your partitions for reading and writing! So I'd advice you to either limit the access rights or disable the service completely.

For a start, I'd recommend to make .nomount file (can be empty) for root dir of each partition which you never want to be mounted for anyone. Then you won't have all files open to world, if you change your network configs later.

Then if you want to limit mounting from outside world, you have several options. If you're using router, don't forwad the port 2500 to your Amiga. You can also deny the access to that service from amitcp:db/inet.access file from certain IP-addresses.. or just allow it from certain addresses etc.

For disabling it completely uncomment amiganetfs line from amitcp:db/inetd.conf (or use Genesis Prefs and uncheck "enable" from Database->Inetd->amiganetfs).

Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »
This issue is one of the few, if not the only advantage to running an OS that 99.9% of computer users consider obsolete and dead.  Grin!

Offline monamiTopic starter

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
i won't start a new thread...

how compatible is os 3.9 with os 3.1 stuff. i'm thinking about games only really. do i still need an os 3.1 partition? i can't remember.

if i remember right idefix comes on the os 3.9 disk? only i trod on my disk but i still have the serial number.
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline Krischan76

• Show only replies by Krischan76
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
@pVC: Thanks for the hints!  *ThumbsUp*

Offline Einstein

• Show only replies by Einstein
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »

Krusher wrote:

Depends on the software, AVG is ok performance-wise (although it's detecting capabilities are probably not the best).

Use a Virtual Machine to test out software

Or use a dedicated sandboxing software, e.g: Sandboxie

In a mainstream OS always log into a user (restricted) account and always use a good sandboxing software for untrusted apps. While possibly not entirely bulletproof, yet a highly secure solution for your everyday needs.

Note: you can use your favourite browser in the sandbox for further security just in case, also any app you install in the sandbox will not screw up your system settings, very convenient for trying different software and/or different versions of one.
I have spoken !

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 07:57:55 AM »

monami wrote:
how compatible is os 3.9 with os 3.1 stuff. i'm thinking about games only really. do i still need an os 3.1 partition? i can't remember.

Imo it's highly compatible. No problems at all for me. If a game runs with 3.1, it will be very unlikely it won't run under 3.9. Especially when they are disk-based, ofcourse, while they bypass the entire installed OS, whether that be 1.x, 2.x or 3.x.
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline Jiffy

• Show only replies by Jiffy
    • http://clausewitz.nl
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »

monami wrote:
what security and confidence do you have in os 3.9 online? are we in a linux "no need for virus scanner position?"

OS3.9 is quite possibly the ultimate 'security through obscurity' OS around.

The OS itself is by design not secure, but as it lacks almost all modern points of attack and isn't capable to run any Windows of Linuxsoftware, this is not a real problem. The only viruses you have to fear are the bog-standard Amigaviruses from the good old days.
Life sucks. Then you die. Then they throw mud in your face. Then you get eaten by worms. Be happy it happens in that order... My Amiga 1200

Offline Ancalimon

• Show only replies by Ancalimon
    • http://www.myspace.com/orhunmusic
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 01:26:59 PM »
According to av-comparatives.org  Free Antivir (Avira) is the second best in on tests. First is Trustport.

On Amiga having Virus Executer is handy for those infected old floppies.
A4000T, 604e@400&060@66, 128MB+16MB+Zorram256, CVisionPPC, VLabMotion, Toccata, XSurf100&RapidRoad, Prisma Megamix

A1200, Blizzard060@50, 256MB, Blizzard IV SCSI, FastATA mk4

Offline DaBest

• Show only replies by DaBest
    • http://www.fennecadventures.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
wow..VIRUS...they are to busy making them for Wintel machines. I remember my first one I got. "BYTE BANDIT"
\\"Keep it simple STUPID\\"
                    \\" Keep ur AMIGA\\"
:whack:

A4000/040  Desk Top is Back up and running :rtfm:
Picasso4, X-Surf2, 1.2 GIG HD, 24x10x40 CDR, OS3.9,18 MGS of RAM