Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Exploration  (Read 1272 times)

Description:

Offline EdvardTopic starter

• Show only replies by Edvard
Exploration
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:09:45 AM »
Hello everybody, my name is Ted and i'm from Cornwall, England. The Commodore Amiga was a legend with its classic hardware, software and games. This format fasinates me due to its unique methods, principles and entertainment. For example earlier on I was playing Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and thought this is a good installment. After playing next generation console and PC games I became rather bored with the average elements. Went to my atic and set up the Amiga 1200 and slipped the second volume of Turrican in. After hearing Chris Huelsbeck music and experiencing the gameplay and graphics I was shocked with the amazing output and feel. Then I played James Pond 2 and Zool which put me in aweeee. So many genius creations from the autistic savants. Well thats what I call them anyway because its so much fun. Retro amiga games were simply stunning. When I found out last week Amiga is still in existance and development I was shocked, thought they had gone bankrupted years ago. Keen to learn and discover more information and content within this.

So if I want to get my PC into the latest cutting-edge amiga system what would you recommend I do? Does OS4 require hardware and software? Do I have to be a computing wix to understand everything thats going. How do i get going?

P.S. Don't want any emulation material (-:

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
Re: Exploration
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:30:17 AM »
Welcome to A.Org!

Some of the classic games are still great even now!

As for getting your PC into the latest cutting-edge Amiga system... Well, you're basically restricted to emulation via one of the flavours of UAE.

OS4 only runs on expensive motherboards that are no longer produced... There are various threads on these forums about that situation...

- Ali

Offline EdvardTopic starter

• Show only replies by Edvard
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »
Amiga One and OS4 are the latest tools for the user to get started, right? So your saying thats its imposiible to get my computer into a non emulation smart amiga device? Don't tell me that! (-;

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:16:50 AM »
Hi,
for all the old games whatever if you choose a AMigaOne (A.OS 4) or a Pegasos1/2 (M.OS 1.4.5), you will have to use an emulator like you have on your PC to use old software and old games.
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:03:36 PM »

CLS2086 wrote:
Hi,
for all the old games whatever if you choose a AMigaOne (A.OS 4) or a Pegasos1/2 (M.OS 1.4.5), you will have to use an emulator like you have on your PC to use old software and old games.

and you won't be able to use a joystick (at least an amiga joystick, maybe you can configure a pc joystick to work with A1) which kills most of the fun.

Recently I've concluded that a plain A600 is the ultimate game machine for the old games (non AGA). It's basicly an A 500, (which most of the games are made for), plus it has an IDE controller (which is kind of rare and expensive to come by for an A500 nowadays) and a very handy PCMCIA port for pushing some more ram or even an ethernet card or a flash memory card pc file swapping. The Ecs chipset + the 68000 are the best duo for old games. You can also use softkicking software for games which require 1.3 kickstart, or use a kickstart switch.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:22:53 PM »
The cheapest and easiest way to try out a variety of Amgia setups is through Amiga Forever - it's an official emulation package and it can be run on top of, or even in place of, Windows. See Here

It's true that the AmigaOne is no longer available and isn't likely to reappear. However, several replacement products are supposedly in development. They're both being kept very quiet, however. There's the Troika, a new small standalone board, and the PowerVixxen, an expansion for the Amiga1200 (and with an additional component, also a standalone system). No word on when either will be released.

The Pegasos is an extremely versatile piece of hardware which can run MorphOS, which is very similar to AmigaOS and runs many old programs (not games). It also runs many varieties of Linux. As of a few days ago, you could buy one right this instant, but now the systems seem to only be available upon request :-(

I think you'll be satisfied with either the new OS4 hardware, provided you can wait, or MorphOS. They're both fine systems. I'd get both if I could afford them.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 02:52:34 PM »
here i go saying it again il say it in blue this time i think: [color=0000ff]AROS[/color][/b][/i]

im sick of hearing about vapor and fluff nothing amiga inc says is worth anything anymore, troika is just stupid. pegasos should have been huge but seems to be dying.

aros is here and now and free an in active, visible development. download it try it sniff it whatever and let go of the assinine dreams of os4 and amiga inc whatever hardware.

yes im being negitive on that last lot. on a positive note however, [color=ff00ff]AROS[/color][/b][/i] and uae

oh... sorry  [color=ffa500]UAE[/color][/b][/i]
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline djbase

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »
and you won't be able to use a joystick (at least an amiga joystick, maybe you can configure a pc joystick to work with A1) which kills most of the fun.

You can use the USB-Version of the Competition Pro which will give a lot of Amiga-feeling I think.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 03:23:09 PM »

KThunder wrote:
here i go saying it again il say it in blue this time i think: [color=0000ff]AROS[/color][/b][/i]

im sick of hearing about vapor and fluff nothing amiga inc says is worth anything anymore, troika is just stupid. pegasos should have been huge but seems to be dying.

aros is here and now and free an in active, visible development. download it try it sniff it whatever and let go of the assinine dreams of os4 and amiga inc whatever hardware.

yes im being negitive on that last lot. on a positive note however, [color=ff00ff]AROS[/color][/b][/i] and uae

oh... sorry  [color=ffa500]UAE[/color][/b][/i]

Agreed, aros is the way to go. Great thing about aros is we all can contribute to it in one small way or another. Aros is free and open. nobody can take it away from us. (well, maybe the copyright holders could relicense the source or what have you, the current source could be forked if that happend )