Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What sort of monitor?  (Read 1374 times)

Description:

What sort of monitor?
« on: January 27, 2003, 09:53:10 AM »
I am looking for a monitor to use with my Retina Z3. I am currently using a commodore 1942 monitor, but I want a bit larger real estate for my workbench. what should I look for in a multisync monitor? Is multiscan the same as a multisync?  

Offline Rigger

• Show only replies by Rigger
Re: What sort of monitor?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 10:20:41 AM »
MultiSync is a trademark of NEC,  many people use the term wrong when talking multiscan monitor.

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 10:22:45 AM »
Can`t the Retina use standard VGA monitors? Well thats going to make things a tad expensive, probably.

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 11:34:20 AM »
The Retina should be able to use standard VGA monitors without trouble, and they are often less expensive than multiscan monitors. If you get a scandoubler you can use this monitor with the standard Amiga output, too.

I haven't seen a multiscan monitor suitable for the Amiga for ages (IE one that can do both 15kHz and 31kHz+).

There was a 17" monitor from Sony I believe which had TV capabilities, and thus worked both with high VGA/SVGA resolutions and the Amiga video output. I'd check the eBay or something similar. I think it was launched in 1997 so my bet is that it's out of production.

If you really do want a multiscan monitor, the main thing to make sure is that it is capable of handling 15kHz vertical sync, otherwise you might as well go for a standard VGA monitor. The second thing is that it stores the settings digitallay. The 1942 has analog knobs which is a pain in the ass when switching between lots of different resolutions.

If you've got the desk space, you could keep the 1942 for your Amiga output and buy a VGA monitor for your Retina. This would also give multitasking a whole new dimension. You could for example run Term on the 1942, watching the progress bar while working in another program that runs on the Retina output.
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 05:19:54 PM »
I am wanting a single monitor solution if possible.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 06:01:41 PM »
@carls,
The word on the street is that Sony are pulling out of the 17 & 19" monitor market ( trinitron patent has run out).

@ mouser

Some of the buget names are really good value, samsung and AOC ,
But a nice plasma screen would look good... :-D

good luck.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 06:05:35 PM »
This should give you some desktop realestate!  :-D

------> Specs found here <-------

North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2003, 06:58:12 PM »

Herewegoagain wrote:
This should give you some desktop realestate!  :-D

------> Specs found here <-------

WOW!  :-o  thats one big muther.....

iamaboringpersons RULE #1(on monitors):
1. you cant get a big enough picture! unless it compremises image quality, scan rate etc... or causes health problems!!
 :-)

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 02:48:27 AM »
WOW!  thats one big muther.....

Yep....nice movie screen aspect ratio, will be great for DVD playback.  

iamaboringpersons RULE #1(on monitors):
1. you cant get a big enough picture! unless it compremises image quality, scan rate etc... or causes health problems!!

Gotta agree on that.  We will soon have stock of  those monitors at work, so I will be able to try it first hand for quality, etc.

North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 05:37:30 AM »
i picked up a 22" NEC last month,

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/ProductDetail.cfm?product_id=97&division=NEC

running at 1600x1200 now, 85hz, rather sweet

when picking a monitor out you need to see what hz your gfx card supports compared to what your monitor can display.. and make sure you get the viewable specs too.. mines 22", 20" viewable etc