Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 install went broke. Need to start over. Ideas?  (Read 1134 times)

Description:

Offline Doppie1200Topic starter

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
A1200 install went broke. Need to start over. Ideas?
« on: June 14, 2004, 11:01:13 PM »
Hello everyone,

Now I really done it. My A1200 does not boot anymore.
After some serious crashes it seems my HDD has finally given up :(.

No worry. I have another one in the closet.
The last software I ran on my A1200 was the 'Amiga in a box' stuff. This was intended for UAE but worked 'fine' on my A1200.

Now I need (or want) to start over. I would like some suggestions.

What is the best list of software to put on my amiga.
Where I'm gonna get it is my problem :P

Like I have OS3.1 laying around and and am able to transfer things to amiga disks from pc. So if I can download it I can install it.

All help is welcome.

BTW these are my specs:

Harddrive ???MB (it is +300MB I assume)
Ram 32MB
Cpu 030@40Mhz
(not willing to put it in a tower ever! but am willing to upgrade to 040 (maybe 060)).
No CD-ROM (PCMCIA drives are hard to find here)

Greetings,
Erno
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: A1200 install went broke. Need to start over. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 11:25:55 PM »
What Kickstart version is your A1200?  (You can find that in Workbench > About or on the boot-up screen (when the hard disk is not attached), or on the startup screen before Workbench starts.

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 12:02:26 AM »
040 in a standard A1200 is not a good combination... if you're going to upgrade to a better CPU go directly to a 060 card instead.

300Mb harddrive is kind of small... try get hold of something bigger (4Gb is ideal).

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 12:17:28 AM »
300Mb harddrive is kind of small... try get hold of something bigger (4Gb is ideal).

Depends what you're using it for.  I don't use my A1200 much anymore, but when I did use it, I think I used about 150MB max (850MB disk).

The accelerator also really depends on the use of the machine.  I think the main thing holding my A1200 back is the lack of graphics power, not the 040/40/FPU.

I can't play back 128kbit stereo mp3s on my A1200 (can play 56kbit mp3s).  Allegedly I could with an 060.

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 12:49:55 AM »
040 is probably fine powerwise, some people find it umm, too hot for the case I think. If you upgrade a 1200 a lot, make sure to get a better PSU.

@Doppie depends on what you want to use it for, I mean, if you want to surf the web with it, their are a variety of Pcmcia NICs you can get, there is soem free wbe surfing software, but the good (well, hafway decent) stuff is shareware. If you want generic desktop stuff, you'll want MUI 3.8 and ClassAct to actually run the apps(since you can't get a cd, you'd have to stick to non OS3.9 software I guess). For games, WHDLoad is good, lets you put the games on the hardddrive. Annnd from their it really just depends on what ya want.

Aminet (www.aminet.net, but there are many mirrors) is a great place for free software.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 07:22:59 AM »
What I want to do:
Basically I want to be able to play loads of games. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 4G harddisk so I can install loads of them :-P.

Also I found Hi-soft C in a box of disks I got from a flea-market. So perhaps I'll be doing some programming.

Ethernet:
The ether-Nic is not a problem. I use a PCMCIA ethernet card to transfer files from PC to my A600.

What I really wanted to know is if I was to install OS3.1 what patches will I need to make it an even more decent OS. Datatypes, tools, patches, features......and the sort.

Rom:
I have ROM 3.1 BTW.

Cpu:
Think I'll be saving up for an 060 if I were to upgrade. They are expensive though (210 euro's).
And I still doubt I really need the speed.
Would be nice for MP3 and 3D stuff.

Gfx:
The graphics is indeed a problem. Always running out of pens.
However I got AIAB running at reasonable speed in 256 colour PAL mode. The Icons looked pretty impressive for a 10 year old computer.

Does anyone know if I can get 800x600 ( not laced it hurts) out of the AGA set? (I do realize you need a VGA or Multisync for this)

Thanks everybody for all the replies so far.

Greetings
Erno
Regards,
Erno

Offline AmiBoy

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 12:46:03 PM »
Greetings Doppie1200!

Dont bother trying to patch OS3.1 youll fill your harddrive trying to make this acient version anything descesnt! You should upgrade directly to OS3.9 but you will need a CDRom for this!

Check http://www.haage-partner.de/aos39/index-e.html for Info.

Your 3.1 ROMs are the latest ROMs that can be bought so your OK there

An 060 is deffinitly your best bet to upgrade you processing power with as its the fatest 68K you can get for your 1200! It will help with MP3s and 3D stuff but you will be let down by the AGA chipset and its measily 2MB Ram.

If your looking for a cheap 060 check out EBay or http://www.amibench.org for second hand hardware.

If I were you I would seriously consider getting a tower as this allows you to expand your 1200 to take advantage of "Powerfull" graphicscards (such as a Voodoo3 3000 16MB) Via PCI slots as well a descent Sound Cards (Soundblaster 128) 100MBit Network Cards and MP3 Hardware decoder Cards. A Graphics Card and An MP3 Decoder card will free you from the SLOW AGA Graphics and Sound (8Bit by the way)chipset and free up lots of you CPU cycles to do a lot more work by taking the load off your processor!

It will then allow you to easily add a 3.5" Harddrive (less expensive than a 2.5" laptop model and add a CDRom!!!

PM me if you need any advice

Thanks
Mark
Escom A1200, Power Tower, OS3.9 & BB2, HD-Floppy drive, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Tuner Card, 10/100MBit Ethernet card, Apollo 68060 66MHz with 64MB, 9.5Gig HD and 52xCDRom

Also one spare unworking bare A1200

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 01:46:24 PM »
AmiBoy, any suggestions for how to accomplish this without spending enough for an AmigaOne motherboard? :-)

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 03:56:50 PM »
Well for games alone an 030 card should be enough, with say anywhere from 8 to 32 megs of RAM (depends on how recent of games) Most games that use 060s will run slow due to AGA anyhow, since they usually are newer 3D ports and such (stuff you can almost always find on PC). 060 does let you do nifty things like play MP3s with it though. I use Visprefs to make 3.1 lok a bit more spiffy, NewIcons is a great icon set, and is only 32 colors. You can download all sorts of datatypes (aminet again) for image and audio files and video, even PDF or HTML, but I use standalone apps for that (AmiPDF and Next work fine usually). AWeb is the best free web browser(unless someone is gonna argue for AMosaic), but Voyager and IBrowse are much better (shareware though). WHDLoad is something you'll definitely want, since it allows you to copy the games to harddisk, and often compensates if you have the wrong ROM for a game. I'm not sure how hi-res AGA can go, but if you want to use a VGA monitor, you'll need a proper scandoubler (otherwise none of the games will work) Amiga specific ones (read: proper hi quality RGB out) cost about 100+USD, generic gaming console ones for the composite RCA jacks cost more like 60USD, depends on how clear of a picture you need.

You can't get gfx cards for the 1200 without spending a lot of money, either on a PCI bus board, or a blizzardPPC + Vision card combo. If you're just doing this for retro gaming and a bit of retro computing, don't bother really, only new games and new apps use that stuff, now, if you wanted to use the Amiga as a serious machine ;) .
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 04:15:07 PM »
Just for balance, I found that I was not able to justify upgrading my Amiga any more, by the year 2000. I found a PC running USE was actually more cost effective and gave me a better system.

On that note, I now have a large collection of unexpanded classic amiga's which are great for playing games on! I took the PPC+040 out of my A1200 as it got too hot, and put the 030 into it for music work. Lovely Paula :-)

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 03:03:46 PM »
Hi,

Thanks alot everybody.
I think I made up my mind what I'm gonna do.

I'm gonna fix my A1200 up but I'm not going to do any expensive upgrades.

I would like an 060 (who doesnt) but the gain on an 030 1200 is not comparable to the price. I'll stick to the 030.

As far as graphics cards....the same actually. I agree with bloodline. I'm better off running UAE on a Mini-Itx board stuck under a keyboard (idea!). Otherwise I'll end up with an overpriced tower containting a CPU board and all kinds of PC peripherals with somewhere an A1200 board hidden that actually adds nothing to the system anymore.

So I'm going for retro computing. Fix my workbench up using UAE and transfer the lot to my 'new' 4GB drive using Compact Flash (I read this is possible).

Thanks all for all the replies.

Regards,
Erno
Regards,
Erno