Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to rip games ressources fron adf files ?  (Read 5531 times)

Description:

Offline artemysTopic starter

• Show only replies by artemys
How to rip games ressources fron adf files ?
« on: June 04, 2004, 03:19:52 PM »
Hi all !

I'm planning to rewrite, with SDL, some of the old Amiga classic games and I'm looking for a way to get/rip ressources (gfx, sound....) from a ".adf" file.

I've already try ADFOpus but it is only able to read "DOS" disk. I know that games disks are protected against reading from Workbench utilities.

Does someone can explain me how to remove this protection and access to game's data ? I'm using UAE but my A1200 is still waiting to serve if necessary !

I hope, I won't be obliged to use an hex editor ! ;-)

Thansk !

Julien

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: How to rip games ressources fron adf files ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 03:23:50 PM »
Those Hard drive installed programs WHDload etc, do all the ripping :-)

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 03:34:49 PM »
Non-DOS disks typically don't have a standard filesystem, so first of all you'll have to disassemble the game to find out how it lays out data on the disk, and what data is where.

Once you know where the data is, the other problem you'll face is that A) it won't be in a standard format like IFF, and B) it'll probably be compressed to fit more on the floppy, probably again using a non-standard compression scheme.

So, you'll have to rip out the decompression code from the game, and use it to decompress the RAW data, and examine the game code to see what format its actually in.

Then you'll have to write a converter to convert the custom data into a standard fileformat.

Or you could just load the games into UAE, take screenshots and carefully rip the graphics out of the screenshots with a paint program.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 03:35:57 PM »
Load a game and then use the save-state feature in WinUAE... the save-state file will contain graphics, sound, data, and anything else in memory at the time! At least I believe that's how it works, dumping the memory of the emulated Amiga to a file on the PC.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 03:44:10 PM »
I'm planning to rewrite, with SDL, some of the old Amiga classic games and I'm looking for a way to get/rip ressources (gfx, sound....) from a ".adf" file.

You must contact the artwork copyright owner for permission first. You can't reuse artwork even if the game is released for community.

Does someone can explain me how to remove this protection and access to game's data ?

There are no free rides here.

It's painstaking reverse engineering of the game loaders, decrypters and decoders. You need to be able to interpret m68k assembly code and write your own loaders/decoders to load the data. If you want to use music, you need SDL audio modplayer that is able to play the moduleformat used in the game.

I hope, I won't be obliged to use an hex editor !

Hex editor won't help you.

Offline artemysTopic starter

• Show only replies by artemys
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 09:51:44 AM »
Thanks to all for your replies !

I will look at "UAE dump" and "WHDLoad" ideas...

I just want to rip the gfx for the first version, to have a playable demo to show it to graphicians and ask for help.

The game's editor doesn't exist anymore, and no one has bought game's rights so I think it will be OK...

CU
Julien

Offline Thomas

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 10:23:23 AM »

The game's editor doesn't exist anymore, and no one has bought game's rights so I think it will be OK...

No, probably not. Copyrights usually stay in place until 25 years after the death of the author. Assuming the "game's editor" as you call him hasn't died, he indeed still exists and you have to wait a long time until you are allowed to use his work without asking.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 10:24:06 AM »

It's not.

It's not about the game's editor being gone or game not being sold anymore. It's about intellectual rights of the original artists, their copyright. The copyright does not expire even if the game is abadoned.

If any game license or distribution right expires, the artwork rights automagically return to original author (unless if otherwise agreed, but if unknown, you must assume this is the case).

Contact the artwork author for permission. For such project, you're likely to get the permission, esp. if it's used just for non-public demostration purposes, and the graphics are to be replaced later.

Offline bertilsson

• Show only replies by bertilsson
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »

Piru wrote:

You must contact the artwork copyright owner for permission first. You can't reuse artwork even if the game is released for community.

It most likely depends on where he is doing it.
In Sweden(and probably many other parts of the world) he may do allmost whatever he wants with the game as long as he's paid for it. Whipe his butt with the disk, modify the code to include a red smurf serial killer, print out the code and show to anyone he likes, make 300 duplicates of the disk, etc. Only exception is that he is not allowed to distribute copys of the game, or parts of it.

So as long as he doesn't give the graphicans&co individual copys of the work he wouldn't have to ask anyone for permission what so ever. Just as if he had bought a book and decided to cut out a few pages and show a publisher as an example of what kind of book he would like to write and publish in the future.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 06:01:30 PM »
If you just want to show the artists the artwork, so that they have a base to work with, then why not just stick WinUAE on a CD-ROM with the game in question and let them run it. This way they'll get the full authentic experience. And if you're opposed to distributing the game/Amiga-rom on a CD, you can also play the game on WinUAE on your own machine, and use WinUAE's AVI output feature to record the full frame and then distribute that to your artists.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline kotka

• Show only replies by kotka
    • http://www.cryogenix.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 11:25:01 PM »

Something else which may assist you is WRip.

It will read files and disks, and can recognise quite alot of different packer formats.

Kotka.