Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How can you convert MPEG to CDXL (On Amiga or PC)?  (Read 2550 times)

Description:

Offline Rebel-CD32Topic starter

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
How can you convert MPEG to CDXL (On Amiga or PC)?
« on: April 18, 2004, 12:10:01 AM »
Hey guys, I have been thinking of making some short CDXL scenes for a CD32 disc I'm making, and I want to be able to convert some MPEGs (or scenes from DVDs) into CDXL format. Does anyone have any idea how this can be done? I have a fast PC and an A1200 030/50, and UAE as well (and a G3 Mac if that helps), so if it's possible on any of these platforms to convert an MPEG to CDXL format, with sound, please let me know!

Also, does anyone know if there was a HAM8 version of CDXL?

Cheers
Amiga user forever.

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: How can you convert MPEG to CDXL (On Amiga or PC)?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 12:16:15 AM »

Rebel-CD32 wrote:
Also, does anyone know if there was a HAM8 version of CDXL?
All I know is that the cdxl format used on the cd32 is 3/4 of the screen, and the one used on the cdtv is 1/4
but check this site, probably you find something useful there.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 12:28:37 AM »
@Rebel-CD32

I am pretty sure there was a HAM8 CDXL, like Microcosm for instance.

I also have wanted to know for a long time how to make CDXL.  there is some cool software out there that lets you play them.

Aslo on that CD32 ALLIANZ site, there seems to be an editing software for CDXL which I have never seen...........gonna try to get it.
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Rebel-CD32Topic starter

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 04:01:26 PM »
Yeah, well I thought that there must have been a HAM8 3/4 version for the CD32, as the Alien Breed Tower Assault CD32 game had some very impressive Lightwave rendered intro and ending sequences, and I'm sure it wasn't a tiny HAM6 animation.

I've had my CD32 for years, although I got it after my A500s and A1200, but I use it all the time for games. Through old Amiga shops, eBay, garage sales, FTP and websites, I have collected nearly every CD32 game they ever made, as well as a wonderful 100-game CD packed with classic Amiga games, demos, animations and music, which boots straight from the CD32 and has a great menu for selecting everything.

I want to actually make my own CD like this, but have all of my personal favourite games, and the games my friends love, as well as some impressive CDXL clips, and play it when all the guys come around on the weekend for a drink. We often end up playing it at the end of the night after we've watched a DVD or two. I just bought three brand new Competition Pro CD32 control pads for when my old ones finally kick the bucket.

The CD32 is a great games machine, expecially now that we have JST and WHDLoad, and nearly everyone has a CD-Burner these days, it's so easy to make your own CD32 bootable games discs. They're perfect for parties.
Amiga user forever.

Offline NightShade737

• Show only replies by NightShade737
    • http://atomnet.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 04:30:48 PM »
Will those videos (and the ones in Alien Breed) work on an A4000 running the CD32 games, or does it need the special FMV pack?

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 04:59:32 PM »

NightShade737 wrote:
Will those videos (and the ones in Alien Breed) work on an A4000 running the CD32 games, or does it need the special FMV pack?

No, all CD32/CDXL anims will play on an A1200 or A4000. The ONLY videos that need the special FMV card are the Cannon Fodder game intro and the MPEG version of the Commodore CD32 TV advert, which is on the Wing Commander/Dangerous Streets CD that came bundled with most if not all CD32's. Oh, and Video CD's of course!

Is there a tool (Amiga or PC) which converts CDXL to MPEG?

Steve.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »
Rebel-CD32

I have a CD32 myself with SX32PRo 50Mhz 40Gigabyte HD and 128MB of RAM. This makes the best possible Amiga Game machine ever, because it plays all games inclusing CD32 and CDTV ones. I havee also another CD32 with SX-1 and FMV card and dozenz of VideoCD's including ones my cousin converts from DVD to VideoCD for me...........he made me a Linkin Par VCD for me and it looks excellent being that the original came froma DVD. And it plays beautifully on my CD32. I want to get rid of my SX-1 but only if I can somehow plug the FMV simultaneously with the SX32 someday ( I believe it can be accomplished).

Anyway, I have been trying hard to get certain CD32 games, but more specifically NTSC versions........that makes it all the harder.
looking for:

Trivial Pursuit CD32  (NTSC or PAL)
VideoCreator (NTSC)
SuperStardust (NTSC)
AlienBreed Tower assault (NTSC)
Pinball Illusions (NTSC)
RuffNTumble (for any amiga but I want it in NTSC)
Turbo Trax (NTSC)
ATR (NTSC)
Banshee (NTSC)

and many more, which probably it is unlikely that NTSC versions exist
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline lazarus

• Show only replies by lazarus
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 09:37:57 PM »
Haven't had a chance to look as I can't always access this page from work (damn firewalls!) so can't guarantee if it's of use, but there may be something on there...

http://www.dvdrhelp.com

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »
hmmm making CDXL movies... i hope you have alot of spare hard disk space!

download CDXL GUI and CDXL toolkit off of aminet.

this will enable you to strip out frames and sound out of CDXL's and/or create your own CDXL's.

you need a frame sequence of IFFS in either ham6 or ham8

use something like ImageFX to pull video frames out of your Mpeg stream and convert them into a relevant format for CDXL (Ham6 Ham8 IFF), and use mpgsplit off aminet to get the audio into an AIFF file.

imageFX should come with some basic Arexx scripts to automate the process. its easy to do, you'll just have to spend a little time figuring out whats what.

once you have a load of IFF images in the right size/colour depth, and an AIFF audio file, you should then be able to use CDXL toolkit to pull it all together into a CDXL file.

sorry i can't be more specific, but i lost all my arexx scripts/apps/software in the great FFS system crash 2004 (DON'T put a V3.5FFS disk in a KS3.0 machine and try to "repair the disk" loss of data will occur.

@Leirbag28

I have most of those games. some of them are on Back2roots.org on public release. PM me if you want them stuck in the post. any idea where i can get an SX32pro? ;)
no wait, i have the PAL version of those games, not NTSC.
the only game i have off that list in the right video format is trivial pursuit

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 02:34:07 PM »

The CD32 is a great games machine, expecially now that we have JST and WHDLoad, and nearly everyone has a CD-Burner these days, it's so easy to make your own CD32 bootable games discs. They're perfect for parties.

As I recently got myself a CD32 (Yippie!), how does one create bootable cd32 games discs?

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.