Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PC to Amiga 1000 Keyboard adaptor  (Read 3868 times)

Description:

Offline nakeyTopic starter

• Show only replies by nakey
PC to Amiga 1000 Keyboard adaptor
« on: January 04, 2003, 11:48:45 AM »
Since my old Amiga 1000 Keyboard is practially dead, does anyone know where i can get an adaptor so that i can use a PC keyboard instead?

IF not, does anyone know how to make one? i don't mind soldering stuff together.

I'm in Australia BTW

Nakey

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
Re: PC to Amiga 1000 Keyboard adaptor
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 03:13:16 AM »
Seems to me that Software Hut here in Pennsylvania I think offers something to adapt an Amiga  to a PeeCee keyboard.  Can't remember what it's called but I think it's about $49.95 USD.  Don't know what Amiga keyboard it adapts to, but if you don't mind soldering, the pinouts of the various Miggies are easily attainable. :-D

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 01:42:43 PM »
Of course, the 1000 has that phone jack connection, not a din plug.  I don't ever recall seeing anything for it, but maybe someone else has?

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 04:20:27 AM »
Looking at the socket on the Amiga, tab down, you get this

pin1: +5Volts
pin2: clock
pin3: data
pin4: GND

Would just wiring the relavent pics from the PC keyboard to the Amiga one work? I recall that oen of the pins on the 5 pin DIN isn't connected

Nakey

Offline Acill

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 05:34:36 AM »
No you need a controller. The Amiga keyboards have a controller chip in th unlike PC "dumb" keyboards. If you get a "din" plug and wire it up to a A1000 keyboard it will work on any amiga. They are all the same.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline Jope

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 08:47:37 AM »

Acill wrote:
No you need a controller. The Amiga keyboards have a controller chip in th unlike PC "dumb" keyboards. If you get a "din" plug and wire it up to a A1000 keyboard it will work on any amiga. They are all the same.

Actually, a PC keyboard is just as intelligent as an Amiga keyboard.. The protocol is slightly more complex, involving bidirectional data transfer. The Amiga keyboard just spits out keycodes, but the PC keyboard wants some responses back from the computer every now and then..

A little googling around will give you the AT/PS2 protocol, the Amiga protocol can probably be found in the hardware manual.

Offline Jope

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2003, 01:37:35 PM »

nakey wrote:

Would just wiring the relavent pics from the PC keyboard to the Amiga one work? I recall that oen of the pins on the 5 pin DIN isn't connected

No, you need an adapter to convert the AT/PS2 protocol to the Amiga keyboard protocol.

You CAN fit any Amiga keyboard, however, if you just connect the correct lines together. :-)

Offline artman

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 01:17:58 AM »
Please don't ANYONE even think of connecting a PC keyboard to an Amiga without a suitable adapter.  Did that myself one time and paid dearly for it.  Promptly fried the keyboard caps on the mobo, only got it running again with the help of Tm-D-Tek.  Your Amiga is much to precious to risk mucking up.  Do it properly the first time. :-D

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 01:44:35 AM »
There were adapters by 3rd party companies that allowed you to use a A2000/3000 keyboard on an A1000. Watch eBay, they show up from time to time.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline artman

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 01:45:21 AM »
Check out the Hardware Book, it'll give the pinouts of the various Amiga's keyboards, very easy to solder up a new connector if you know what you're doing.  But believe me, "KNOW" what you're doing before you do it.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 04:23:03 AM »
Thanks everyone  :-)

Does anyone know where i can get an Amiga KB in Australia?

I miss playing Silkworm

Offline Jope

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 08:30:20 AM »

artman wrote:
Please don't ANYONE even think of connecting a PC keyboard to an Amiga without a suitable adapter.  Did that myself one time and paid dearly for it.  Promptly fried the keyboard caps on the mobo, only got it running again with the help of Tm-D-Tek.  Your Amiga is much to precious to risk mucking up.  Do it properly the first time. :-D

Heh, we did that with an A4000 back in the day, but with no ill effects.. The PC keyboards have the same pinout, but of course we didn't get anything on the screen because of the protocol differences.

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 08:43:41 AM »
some sort of PIC controller would be in order there, I think.
anyone fancy having a go ?
I believe there was an article (possibly with a keyboard adaptor in) in an old issue of AF.

I'll have a look tonight...
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Amigamia

• Show only replies by Amigamia
    • http://www.arosworld.org
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 02:50:58 AM »
Sorry for bringing an old thread up again but is there any way really to connect an old PS/2 KB to an Amiga 1000? I can't find an original one online and I am getting tired of waiting TBH. Is there any DIY adapter available?
Check out  AROSWORLD.ORG

Offline Amiwest

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by Amiwest
    • http://www.sacc.org
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:46 AM »
http://www.amigawiki.org/doku.php?id=en:service:upgrades:keyboard_adaptor_a1000
this link shows a A2000 keyboard to A1000 but I have never tried it.

http://www.sacc.org/mouse-joy-keyb/a-keyboard.html shows the different keyboard pin outs.