Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rapidfire SCSI board giving trouble  (Read 944 times)

Description:

Rapidfire SCSI board giving trouble
« on: January 03, 2003, 06:40:35 AM »
The Rapidfire SCSI board in my A4000 doesn't seem to be putting out a SCSI signal; at least, no hard drive or CD-ROM drive on the SCSI chain shows up on boot-up.  Have tried the HDToolbox but it only recognizes the main drive.  The chips on the board get warm so it's getting power, but no SCSI signal goes through apparently.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline Colmiga

• Show only replies by Colmiga
    • http://colmiga.org
Re: Rapidfire SCSI board giving trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 02:47:54 PM »
When I first got my RapidFire for my A4000 there was times it played dead or was reported faulty by the system. I traced the problem down to the card not seating properly in the Zorro slot and therefore not making proper contact. As my A4000 is rehoused in a PC tower the cards are now vertical and what I did to fix the problem was to use a Lego block stuck to the floor of the case to hold the card in place. Now the card works fine every time.

Hope this helps you.
Sam460ex: PPC460ex/1GHz, 2GB RAM, 30GB SSD via on-board SATA-2, DVD-RW via USB, Radeon 5450 1GB PCIe, Catweasel Mk4 PCI, A4000 KB and Competition Pro CD32 Pad.
A4000D: 030/25MHz, 16MB RAM, Indivision Mk1, 8GB CF as HDD and IDE CD-ROM.

Amiga user since 1992.

Re: Rapidfire SCSI board giving trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 11:13:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll see what I can do with my horizontally arranged board.  I have tried re-seating it, and cleaning the contacts, but while it gets warm, no SCSI devices on the chain are recognised.  Am I right in thinking that, from the shell, the HDToolbox instruction I should be using to search for drives is Workbench:Tools/HDToolbox scsi.device ?  The problem is more worrying because my Video Toaster board, which is in the video slot of the daughterboard, is also not replying -- so I am beginning to wonder if the daughterboard is the problem.  I've tried re-seating it too.  Configuration says no boards are connected, but again, the warm chips indicate that power is getting through.  Is there a way of testing the daughterboard's operational status?