Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Warp3d Voodoo vs. Radeon ClassicOS  (Read 6591 times)

Description:

Offline MotormouthTopic starter

Warp3d Voodoo vs. Radeon ClassicOS
« on: March 31, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »
I finally was able the Mediator i4000D v3.3 version working!!!!
This was after several months of frustration and several months waiting to get it back from Elbox. etc....

But to Elbox's credit it now works great!!!!

Overall it is quite nice.  It works well with a v3.3 Radeon 9250 I got fairly cheaply on fleebay and even nicer is the fact that the Sonnet 7200 G4 works very well without modification with the version 13.1 pci.library and Jenkin's latest sonnet powerpc.library.

The question I have for all of you is how useful is Warp3d?

It look like the mediator supports warp3d with Voodoo, but not with Radeon.
So I guess my questions are:

1)  How important/useful is Warp3d?
2)  Is there a Radeon Warp3d library?
3)  If not Which is faster in PPC games a Voodoo3 with Warp3d or Radeon 9250 without?

Offline amiadudeorwat

Re: Warp3d Voodoo vs. Radeon ClassicOS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;838098
I finally was able the Mediator i4000D v3.3 version working!!!!
This was after several months of frustration and several months waiting to get it back from Elbox. etc....

But to Elbox's credit it now works great!!!!

Overall it is quite nice.  It works well with a v3.3 Radeon 9250 I got fairly cheaply on fleebay and even nicer is the fact that the Sonnet 7200 G4 works very well without modification with the version 13.1 pci.library and Jenkin's latest sonnet powerpc.library.

The question I have for all of you is how useful is Warp3d?

It look like the mediator supports warp3d with Voodoo, but not with Radeon.
So I guess my questions are:

1)  How important/useful is Warp3d?
2)  Is there a Radeon Warp3d library?
3)  If not Which is faster in PPC games a Voodoo3 with Warp3d or Radeon 9250 without?

1)  If you want to play the games that support Warp3D, then you don't want to play them in software mode.  If you don't want to play any of the Warp3D games then not useful.
2)  No, there is no Radeon Warp3D driver, this needs to be written or ported from OS4.
3)  A Voodoo3 in Warp3D mode will be 2-4x+ faster than a Radeon in software mode and look better too.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:22:02 AM »
Quote from: amiadudeorwat;838101
1)  If you want to play the games that support Warp3D, then you don't want to play them in software mode.  If you don't want to play any of the Warp3D games then not useful.
2)  No, there is no Radeon Warp3D driver, this needs to be written or ported from OS4.
3)  A Voodoo3 in Warp3D mode will be 2-4x+ faster than a Radeon in software mode and look better too.

Thanks! for the response :)
This is similar to what I expected :(

I do have a voodoo3 I can put in the system, i was hoping to keep it with the Prometheus and put that in a 3000 , but I will put it with the sonnet.

The biggest this I like about the radeon is that it is runs much cooler that the voodoo
The extra memory is also nice, but not a big limitation given the sonnet has memory, and I have a zorram in the computer as well.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:46:52 AM »
Quote from: amiadudeorwat;838101

Pity, under OS4 or MorphOS the Radeon would dust a Voodoo3. And both of those OS' support Warp3D funtionality with the Radeon.

Anyone know why there isn't a Radeon driver for legacy applications?
It seems kind of dumb considering it shouldn't be that hard to backport.

In fact, the R200 drivers under both OS4 and MorphOS are so mature that they perform really well.
Many MorphOS users didn't move to higher cards when the R300 drivers were introduced because everything above the R200 (under MorphOS) isn't W3D compatible.
And the performance gain was less than you'd assume.

Still, the Voodoo3's performance isn't that shabby.
It beats the other solutions (except for the previously mentioned Radeon).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 03:07:11 AM »
@ Motormouth

yup been in the same boat here with my 1200T and my Radeon 9250 can use all it's 256MB BUT no go to play on Warp3D games unfortunaley...at least not yet anyhow..maybe A-Eon/ Amigakit is working on this:confused:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:46:26 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;838104
Pity, under OS4 or MorphOS the Radeon would dust a Voodoo3. And both of those OS' support Warp3D funtionality with the Radeon.

Anyone know why there isn't a Radeon driver for legacy applications?
It seems kind of dumb considering it shouldn't be that hard to backport.

In fact, the R200 drivers under both OS4 and MorphOS are so mature that they perform really well.
Many MorphOS users didn't move to higher cards when the R300 drivers were introduced because everything above the R200 (under MorphOS) isn't W3D compatible.
And the performance gain was less than you'd assume.

Still, the Voodoo3's performance isn't that shabby.
It beats the other solutions (except for the previously mentioned Radeon).

It would be helpful if elbox would make a warp3d driver for the radeon particularly since they support if for 2D video and memory on the mediator.  And as Iggy says R200 solutions on platforms related to amigaOS 3.1 do have warp3d drivers.  

Funny I have a R200 card in a G5 mac with MorphOS on it.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 05:47:23 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;838108
@ Motormouth

yup been in the same boat here with my 1200T and my Radeon 9250 can use all it's 256MB BUT no go to play on Warp3D games unfortunaley...at least not yet anyhow..maybe A-Eon/ Amigakit is working on this:confused:

Thanks this info.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 02:31:36 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;838115
It would be helpful if elbox would make a warp3d driver for the radeon particularly since they support if for 2D video and memory on the mediator.  And as Iggy says R200 solutions on platforms related to amigaOS 3.1 do have warp3d drivers.  

Funny I have a R200 card in a G5 mac with MorphOS on it.

Not that funny, I've suggested that to others before.
Its the one way you can get W3D compatibility with the G5.
And a 9200 with a Mac rom can used the full AGP 8X bandwidth (although a 9000 isn't significantly slower).

The R200 drivers under MorphOS and OS4 are very mature and perform surprisingly well.

Since Hyperion has an R200 driver for OS4, and they want to continue to develop OS3.1, why not push them to support the R200?
After all, OS4 supports the mediator, why shouldn't OS3.1?

If you wait for Elbox to do it....well we all know how long that wait could be (and we're not getting any younger).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:04:07 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;838177
Since Hyperion has an R200 driver for OS4, and they want to continue to develop OS3.1, why not push them to support the R200?

If you wait for Elbox to do it....well we all know how long that wait could be (and we're not getting any younger).

Out of curiosity, can you even buy an R200-series card that physically fits in a Mediator?  I thought they were PCI only?  Or are you talking about doing it with adapters?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline amiadudeorwat

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 03:12:06 AM »
I don't think Elbox are ever going to publish a Warp3D driver for a Radeon as they haven't even fixed the problems with the Voodoo 4/5.  I doubt Hyperion will port any Radeon Warp3D drivers for OS 3.X since it's a significant amount of effort and they have other things to do.  Maybe a bounty could entice someone to do it.  I'm in for $50.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 05:35:34 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;838181
Out of curiosity, can you even buy an R200-series card that physically fits in a Mediator?  I thought they were PCI only?  Or are you talking about doing it with adapters?

You can get PCI versions of the 92x0.   There are many 3.3V on Fleebay, not nearly as many 5V.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;838177
Not that funny, I've suggested that to others before.
Its the one way you can get W3D compatibility with the G5.
And a 9200 with a Mac rom can used the full AGP 8X bandwidth (although a 9000 isn't significantly slower).

The R200 drivers under MorphOS and OS4 are very mature and perform surprisingly well.

Quote from: amiadudeorwat;838183
I don't think Elbox are ever going to publish a Warp3D driver for a Radeon as they haven't even fixed the problems with the Voodoo 4/5.  I doubt Hyperion will port any Radeon Warp3D drivers for OS 3.X since it's a significant amount of effort and they have other things to do.  Maybe a bounty could entice someone to do it.  I'm in for $50.

@Iggy  Sorry,  I guess I was saying funny in relation to the ClassicOS.  Yes you are correct the R200 came standard with the G5.  The G5 I bought was upgraded to a geforce 6800 (a quite powerful card at the time).  I had to down grade to the original radeon card that came with the G5 so that I could use MorphOS on it.  Finding a MAC version of the card was surprisingly harder than I though at a reasonable price.

The G5 is a very impressive computer, both as a MAC and as a MorphOS box.

@amiadudeorwat  Alas, you are probably right :(  
As for a bounty, I would also be in......

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
Quote from: Motormouth;838188
@Iggy  Sorry,  I guess I was saying funny in relation to the ClassicOS.  Yes you are correct the R200 came standard with the G5.  

The smallest card that shipped with a G5 was a 64MB Radeon9600Pro which is a RV350.

R200 cards were supposed to go into G4, with the one build for
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline trixster

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »
Congrats on getting both the mediator and the sonnet working, Motormouth! They're good aren't they! :)

Is the sonnet working stably for you, any issues or teething problems? The massive thread on eab is worth checking out if you havent already done so.

Regarding Radeon vs Voodoo: for a classic system I can't think of many reasons to choose the Radeon over the Voodoo. The Radeon's ram might be useful on the 68k side of the house but it's zorro ram and will be much slower than ram on your accelerator; it is not used at all by the sonnet. Warp3D on the Voodoo is much more useful if you're at all interested in playing games - BlitzQuake, Quake2, Quake3, Hexen2, Wipeout 2097 etc all make use of Warp3D.

Make sure you populate the sonnet with as much ram as you can - 192mb is what you're aiming for to give the best gaming experience.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:00:31 PM by trixster »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]A1200 + 80Mhz B1260 + Indi AGA2 + Ide-fix Express | A500 | A3000 + 50Mhz A3660 + CV64 + Deneb + 486SLC + ZorRam
A4000/040 + 66Mhz  Cyberstorm Mk2 + Indi AGA + Voodoo 3 + Sonnet G3 + Deneb + Prisma | SNES | C64 | CPC6128 | MD | 3DO
Acorn A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | Atom | Master Turbo | BBC B | Atari Falcon + 100Mhz CT60e | PS1 | PS2 | Saturn | Atari Jaguar

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;838187
You can get PCI versions of the 92x0.   There are many 3.3V on Fleebay, not nearly as many 5V.

Oops, I was thinking of the newer cards - R7 250, R7 260, etc.

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r7-200-series#*
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos