Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Over 10k Amiga disks to be released on archive.org  (Read 2893 times)

Description:

Offline PentadTopic starter

Over 10k Amiga disks to be released on archive.org
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
One of the members of Bamiga Sector 1 is dumping their 10k plus collection to archive.org. There was some Twitter traffic about it and then I saw the post on archive.org:

"This item is a compilation of images acquired from a 10,000+ floppy collection of one of the members of the cracking group "Bamiga Sector 1". It was in an attic in Belgium for roughly 25 years and is in the process of being imaged by a small set of volunteers."

About 72% complete:

You can read/download from here:

https://archive.org/details/Bamiga_Sector_1_Collection

They even have a project website here:

http://www.amigaclub.be/bs1/

It is funny how time changes everything: Once an illegal stash of pirated content is now an archaeological archive of software.

I do hope that any software that hasn't been archived before will show up in this vast array of floppy disks. I'm a big proponent of the preservation of software so that future generations have the opportunity to experience what we have lived through.

-P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:31:13 PM by Pentad »
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Over 10k Amiga disks to be released on archive.org
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
This could still get shut down at any moment. Afterburner and Space Harrier are available and SEGA still defends its IP.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline number6

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
@thread

Long thread on-topic:
Source

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
Looks like it maybe a good replacement for BTTR!

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 11:14:18 PM »
Awesome :hammer:

reminds me of the past

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:19:36 AM »
FYI: They jumped to 76% over the weekend...

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 02:47:48 AM »
Not to mention it looks like a couple more cleaned sets.

I was going to seed the sets but I would rather seed the cleaned ones.  Any idea if those will be torrented?

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »
Given how fast they are uploading the collection (they went to 77% overnight) I think they will be done with everything -including the cleaned sets- within a few weeks.

Looking through this collection brought back a lot of memories. Can you imagine trying to transfer this collection back in the day? Even with the top-of-the-line Courier HST (tweaked with Maad Modem no less) it would have taken forever.

I was trying to explain to my kids a bit about this and computer life in the early '90s. I don't think they truly appreciate having a FIOS connection to our house. :-)

-P

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »
Set your router to limit speed to 512kbps and they'll get an idea of our pain.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 05:15:39 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;835554
Set your router to limit speed to 512kbps and they'll get an idea of our pain.

LOL, yeah, it does seem like it sticks with you even after all of these years. I used to be able to tell you what we were connecting at by the tones.  I can't believe what you ca get to your house now. FIOS in our area is offering 300 Mbps symmetrical for $95 a month. I remember when a T1 was $1600 a month (at a company not at my house :-).

Offline SimonV

• Show only replies by SimonV
    • http://www.amigaclub.be
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Hi,

may I point out I was not Bamiga member, I just got the disks from a member. I was contacted as being (big word -> ) the president of the Belgian Amiga club with the question if I wanted them or otherwise they would go the recycling center.

So just stashed the lot in my old Volvo as it was only a 15 minutes drive from my home.

Obviously it's not at all about piracy anymore, there's very little to nothing from 1994 and earlier that is still commercially available for the Amiga and not already available on dedicated rom sites.

So that brings us to the question why we are doing it ... there ARE things in that stack of disks that aren't available or broken that can now be fixed with another disk, scene stuff like musicdisks, unseen cracktros ... so it is really for the preservation of those missing things. It's 2018 ... I hope everyone can see the point of it and appreciate the effort.

In our eyes there is only one way to do this in an efficient way that is also motivating for us: we just archive every single disk and don't look back. Cleaning, checking and whatever ... that's for the community.

The cleaned archives for instance are not done by us but by an SPS member, I already see certain cracktros popping up at Pouet and I am sure a lot of people just have fun digging through them firing up their Amiga. And it also motivated a lot of people to finally start archiving their floppy collection at home or hand it over to someone who will.... it's really now or never if you have a few thousands of these.

Offline Seaquest

• Show only replies by Seaquest
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
This is Sweet : -) thanks a lot
Amiga4000/060,PIV,Toccata,MultifaceIII,Octagon2008,AdrianeII

Offline Machico2012

• Show only replies by Machico2012
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »
Thank you and your team mates for this big preservation effort!!!