Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Popular Mechanics reports "The Cult of Amiga..."  (Read 2551 times)

Description:

Offline RobertBTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Popular Mechanics reports "The Cult of Amiga..."
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
The magazine,  Popular Mechanics, has a new article on the "rise, fall, and possible resurrection" of the Amiga.  See

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a27437/amiga-2017-a1222-tabor/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=100417

Writing from Cardiff, Wales,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Re: Popular Mechanics reports "The Cult of Amiga..."
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:48 AM »
Quote from: RobertB;831357
The magazine,  Popular Mechanics, has a new article on the "rise, fall, and possible resurrection" of the Amiga.  See

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a27437/amiga-2017-a1222-tabor/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=100417

Robert Bernardo

Is this in the print edition as well?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:55 AM »
Hey RobertB, what ya doing in Wales? Will you be watching the Wales vs Georgia (the country not the State ;-)) football game on TV tomorrow from 5pm?
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline kreciu

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »
I simply hope this two Amiga motherboards (maybe with case + Boing Ball ;) ) will be AVAILABLE. I'm actually very surprised that X5000 IS available. We shall see with A1222. Few years back I almost got Sam, I even got case for it, HDD and all. GOOD LUCK, I missed it and then I got bust with life. So, now there is a PC in it.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;831359
...Will you be watching the Wales vs Georgia (the country not the State ;-)) ...

Wales is not a country. :biglaugh:
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »
I was referring to Georgia as it is confusing for Americans to understand the game of football (the one where we actually use our feet i.e. soccer) especially as Georgia is one of the 50 U.S. states as well as a country :)

Wales, whether you view it as a Principality or a Country still has its own sports teams and so for the purposes of sport it definitely IS a country! :rtfm:

Offline Rob

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »

Robert Bernardo

How long are you in Wales for?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »
1 - 0 Wales with 15 minutes to go!!

Come on boys!!!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 02:23:07 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;831375
I was referring to Georgia as it is confusing for Americans to understand the game of football (the one where we actually use our feet i.e. soccer) especially as Georgia is one of the 50 U.S. states as well as a country :)

Wales, whether you view it as a Principality or a Country still has its own sports teams and so for the purposes of sport it definitely IS a country! :rtfm:

We aren't quite that stupid, and we do remember former chunks of the USSR.

Besides, I'll be attending my University's homecoming soccer matches tomorrow (several, all day, with tail gating).
We recruit European,  Central and South American students, so I might actually get to see some decent play (because professional soccer in the US isn't quite up to global standards,  you should have tried to sell us on Rugby instead, we prefer our sports more brutal and vaguely dangerous).
Your FANS seem to be the most dangerous part of European sports. :laugh1:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:27:26 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;831396
We aren't quite that stupid, and we do remember former chunks of the USSR.

Besides, I'll be attending my University's homecoming soccer matches tomorrow (several, all day, with tail gating).
We recruit European,  Central and South American students, so I might actually get to see some decent play (because professional soccer in the US isn't quite up to global standards,  you should have tried to sell us on Rugby instead, we prefer our sports more brutal and vaguely dangerous).
Your FANS seem to be the most dangerous part of European sports. :laugh1:

Edit - Actually, when I got up this morning I checked out how our men's soccer has been doing so far this season. Oh boy, 1 tie and the rest of the games loses...hmm...well hopefully those players are still good students. :confused:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline EugeneNine

• Show only replies by EugeneNine
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »

Robert Bernardo

I don't know about resurrection.  The current selling 'Amiga's' just look like overpriced PC's.  A-Eon needs to make a mini-itx form factor board in a small case and sell it for under $500.

What I'd love to see though is taking Uae4Arm and re-write it to run bare metal on a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone rather than on top of a Linux kernel.  Then compile OS4 and Aros for Arm as well.  One of the original selling points of the Amiga was the lower cost.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;831415
I don't know about resurrection.  The current selling 'Amiga's' just look like overpriced PC's.  A-Eon needs to make a mini-itx form factor board in a small case and sell it for under $500.

What I'd love to see though is taking Uae4Arm and re-write it to run bare metal on a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone rather than on top of a Linux kernel.  Then compile OS4 and Aros for Arm as well.  One of the original selling points of the Amiga was the lower cost.

Well the plan for Tabor is close to that, but I've already stated and restated my objections to that.
Although I could see how it might appeal to someone that wanted to be more economical.
Frankly, at the lower end I'd just wait for the new A1200 boards or the Vampire2.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Quote from: EugeneNine;831415
...  One of the original selling points of the Amiga was the lower cost.

I see someone remembers buying an A500 in a discount bin in a big box retail store but some of us remember the cost of Amiga 1000, 2000, 3000 & 4000 when new and 'low cost' is not why we (at least I) bought one
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline EugeneNine

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 07:51:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;831417
Well the plan for Tabor is close to that, but I've already stated and restated my objections to that.
Although I could see how it might appeal to someone that wanted to be more economical.
Frankly, at the lower end I'd just wait for the new A1200 boards or the Vampire2.

What tabor plan?

I saw a post where someone made some new 1200 boards but they were talking about them in a non-english forum so I couldn't tell if they are available or not.

I've been redrawing the schematics in KiCad to see if I could eventually make one.

Offline EugeneNine

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;831424
I see someone remembers buying an A500 in a discount bin in a big box retail store but some of us remember the cost of Amiga 1000, 2000, 3000 & 4000 when new and 'low cost' is not why we (at least I) bought one

That was always one of Commodore's selling points that they cost less than the PC or Apple.  granted PC prices dropped after that but it was one of the original selling points.