Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne clones?  (Read 11208 times)

Description:

Offline neofreeTopic starter

• Show only replies by neofree
AmigaOne clones?
« on: December 30, 2002, 07:54:08 PM »
I know the Amiga's of the past have had patented hardware preventing the possibility of cloning.  Is this the case of the AmigaOne?

I think that if the hardware of the AmigaOne was clonable it would benefit the Amiga community.  The success of the PC was probably mostly to this fact alone.  Also VHS beat Beta because there was no licensing on the technology.

Anyone know the answer to this?  I don't think that the AmigaOne *has* to be this way to succeed, but it would help.  If it is proprietary, then I would hope the specs would well exceed that of the competition, and stay on top.  Right now it seems that the new A1 is "modern" but still slightly behind the Mac, for example (as far as hardware specs).  I think it would be realistic to take some of Mac's market if the A1 was actually spec'd better.  Or, priced lower.  Or if it was possible to make clones, then there is a very good chance of success...

Comments?

Neofree

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
Re: AmigaOne clones?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 08:00:02 PM »
Considering AmigaOne is just a licensed board ANYONE can license this is no problem! however hyperion has decided to dongelise OS4 (not that it will stop crackers) but it will stop legal users from running on the other boards.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
this space for rent

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 08:31:47 PM »
What do you mean by "dongelise OS4"?

This being said, I think the AmigaOne then sounds like it is simular to the way Beta was.  Although this is better then before, it is still going to have a very hard time beating the PC - not that it is expected to.  

Sounds like it's left to bang vs. buck and it's real chance is competing with the Mac.

I hope Amiga does make a comeback, and stays around...  I personally won't be able to afford anything new until the prices come way down though.  If I could get an Amiga motherboard for say $100-$200 USD, and the rest of the components are just standard PC stuff, then I would be able to do it.

Neofree

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 08:31:48 PM »
Clones of computers are never usually as successful as the real thing ;-)

I mean look at the Panasonic GameCube!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 08:35:51 PM »
Compaq (now HP), Dell, Gateway, etc are some of the larger examples of successful clones.  IBM today is still the leader, but I don't think they always were in the time of their own PC.

The clone may not be as good as the original, but the fact that it is possible opens up the marketing possibilities.   Besides, do you actually care if you have an IBM PC instead of any other box? (If you use PC stuff too.)

Neofree

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 08:51:54 PM »
A clone is ok in a market that is already working, but given the small size of the Amiga market as it stands a company needs to know that they will sell a certain amount to make a return to make the venture worth while. At the moment few is better, although if the Amgia gets anywhere near as big as it used to be, Amiga "clones" would be a great thing. It creates competition and lowers prices, but the market has to be able to sustain the number of manufactures, without that ability no (sane) businessman would consider it.

Offline Thellenbow

• Show only replies by Thellenbow
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 08:58:53 PM »
@T-Bone

I just signed the petition. I've thought this way for some time now. What I can't understand is how AI doesn't see the logic of it.

Tony P
\\"Some things are true even if you don\\\'t believe in them\\" - City of Angels

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 09:02:27 PM »
Hey I signed the petition!  Agree the hardware should just be POP like it says!  

Offline Thellenbow

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 09:09:46 PM »

jumpship wrote:
A clone is ok in a market that is already working, but given the small size of the Amiga market as it stands a company needs to know that they will sell a certain amount to make a return to make the venture worth while. At the moment few is better, although if the Amgia gets anywhere near as big as it used to be, Amiga "clones" would be a great thing. It creates competition and lowers prices, but the market has to be able to sustain the number of manufactures, without that ability no (sane) businessman would consider it.

This doesn't make sense. If I am selling software, my only concern is how many machines can I get it on. Remember that expression, user base? That is what selling software is all about. Anyone with a PPC Lunix system might like to give AOS a try. :-)  But if you have to fork out a lot more money just to buy another system for the sake of the OS.... A cheap scape like me might send $100 for an OS just to try it out, but $800???? :-o
\\"Some things are true even if you don\\\'t believe in them\\" - City of Angels

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 09:10:28 PM »
Seehund WILL be pleased   :-o

:-D
The Reluctant Pom

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 09:12:20 PM »
Well I guess it is really going to come down to bank vs. buck.   I hope someday to be able to afford one.

I am sick of Unstable Windows, I'll never go the Mac (one button mouse?? COME ON)...  The A1  is the only viable alternative to me.  Except maybe Linux on any platform.  But family and friends wont accept linux, plus it's great for servers but still needs work for end users.  

But again, it's going to have to be a lot cheaper for it to be reachable to me.  I can't beleive I just paid $150 USD for an A1200 with A1230 and SCSI.   Sure this is an awesome deal compared to all of the others, but for as old as this machine is, it is high.

Neofree

Offline Skyraker

• Show only replies by Skyraker
    • http://www.wolves.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 09:16:13 PM »
Ladies....

The reason AI doesn't see it has to be because they needed someone to develop the board (and in fairness to eyetech it was developed), with a view to them getting a 100% market share for a good period of time.. (how long is a piece of string)... I think thats why the Peg hasnt been licenced, or it could be because Bill Bluck is a tool... who knows..

IMHO , don't expect to see any clones until the initial market has been sated....
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the body of an 18 year old ......... I keep it in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Thellenbow

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 09:33:20 PM »

neofree wrote:

But again, it's going to have to be a lot cheaper for it to be reachable to me.  I can't beleive I just paid $150 USD for an A1200 with A1230 and SCSI.   Sure this is an awesome deal compared to all of the others, but for as old as this machine is, it is high.

Neofree

Hey, I just saw a 266 PC for $350 at some kind flea market. Talking about rediculous. :crazy:

Offline Troels_E

• Show only replies by Troels_E
    • http://www.amigabounty.net
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 10:18:33 PM »
The reason AI doesn't see it has to be because they needed someone to develop the board (and in fairness to eyetech it was developed), with a view to them getting a 100% market share for a good period of time.. (how long is a piece of string)... I think thats why the Peg hasnt been licenced, or it could be because Bill Bluck is a tool... who knows..

Not true. Other companies (IF there where any besides genesi?) are welcome to get their PPC boards tested as compatible and license the AmigaOne name.

Bplan wasn't interested in supplying Hyperion with the needed technical details or a developer board and didn't want to sign the contract with Amiga. They could have used a "dongle" onboard like the A1 OR used a little USB dongle if they wanted OS4.

I really don't see why people can't understand that Hyperion have to take every step possible against piracy. Our userbase is VERY small and they have to ensure a certain revenue.
The bounty site for AmigaOS4 www.amigabounty.net