Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is A.L.I.C.E. dead?  (Read 327 times)

Description:

Offline wiser3Topic starter

• Show only replies by wiser3
    • http://www.trep4.com/
Is A.L.I.C.E. dead?
« on: May 22, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
The AmiKit X site states:
https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/
"Originally Developed for A.L.I.C.E."

Since AmiKit X has been released, does that mean the A.L.I.C.E. project is dead or did AmiKit get tired of waiting for it to be released?

If i bought a new laptop and AmiKit X could i create my own A.L.I.C.E. like system?

Offline wawrzon

Re: Is A.L.I.C.E. dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
it was never alive to start with. and who really cares? anybody can set up an emulator.

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:38 AM »
@wawrzon

There is value in having a computer just work as would the target platform. Having just spent some time messing around with an Atari ST emulator just to get one game working it's a bit of a faff getting the right Rom image and sorting out the keymapping. I'm sure the ALICE would find a niche if released.
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:45:00 AM »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;826120
@wawrzon

There is value in having a computer just work as would the target platform. Having just spent some time messing around with an Atari ST emulator just to get one game working it's a bit of a faff getting the right Rom image and sorting out the keymapping. I'm sure the ALICE would find a niche if released.

You're quite an optimist.
Again, anybody can set up an emulator.

If you really wanted to sell a customized laptop, you wouldn't remap the keys, you'd sell a laptop with all the keys necessary to support Amiga applications.
It would use a streamlined host OS (and, no, I don't care if its Linux OR something else), and it would boot directly into the emulated environment.
Alice, as proposed, has some of those features, but not all of them.

As specified, it doesn't hold much interest for me.
I could build something similar with parts I already own.

BTW, Nik, who the f*ck is Alice? :laugh1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw08Py5nz1w
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:46:11 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
But ALICE allowed AmigaOS & Linux application windows to co-exist within the same desktop environment;  everything appeared to be 'Amiga' even if (for example) Libre Office was really running under Linux.   It seemed a nice solution.

I don't know if that's otherwise possible using FS-UAE or similar?
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;826131
But ALICE allowed AmigaOS & Linux application windows to co-exist within the same desktop environment;  everything appeared to be 'Amiga' even if (for example) Libre Office was really running under Linux.   It seemed a nice solution.

If that's a feature that you find attractive....
Personally I'd rather have the reverse (Amiga apps running in windows with Linux control tabs).

So no, I don't know of any otc solution that allows either option currently.

But, its not enough of an advantage that it would encourage me to buy additional X86/X64 hardware.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
Well some of us don't go out of our way to buy x86-64 hardware and I for one would buy one if it was set up to act like an Amiga(One). I would also quite like to play Elite Dangerous if that were possible but I guess that would need a discrete video card that wouldn't be supported :-(
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;826131

when running emulation you can run host apps from host desktop. why fool yourself you are using linux or windows apps on an amiga?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;826156
when running emulation you can run host apps from host desktop. why fool yourself you are using linux or windows apps on an amiga?

This "rabbit hole" ability is a feature of Amikit, nothing specific to ALICE.

https://youtu.be/_CD6ozxCDLc 35 seconds onwards.

Amikit on UAE is nice but I still prefer configuring my own setup Amithlon.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:44:58 PM »
Quote from: wiser3;826104
The AmiKit X site states:
https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/
"Originally Developed for A.L.I.C.E."

Since AmiKit X has been released, does that mean the A.L.I.C.E. project is dead or did AmiKit get tired of waiting for it to be released?

If i bought a new laptop and AmiKit X could i create my own A.L.I.C.E. like system?

No need to buy Amikit X at all if you want an "A.L.I.C.E" type system. Amikit is made up of free software..... %99 of what it contains is freely available on aminet and similar.
As for the "rabbit hole" feature, Im not sure how its been done here, but its very, very easy to recreate. For Windows apps just use Winlaunch (as amikit does) and for other OSes apps (linux, osx, aros, whatever) just setup a timer on the host to scan a location once a second or so, the contents of which will contain a script to launch software (defined by dopus' sniff feature....... if binary contains certain elements define a generic script (that launches whatever software youre trying to launch).

There's a few other bits to it to smooth out the rough edges, but for the most part thats all it requires. There's plenty of other ways to do it too, but thats how Ive setup 68k AROS to launch x86 AROS binaries. The theory and methods are platform agnostic though.

Im actually surprised this "Rabbit Hole" feature has grabbed many peoples attention to be honest. Do people not know how to use their Amigas these days?  :) Its all pretty simple stuff.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;826186
No need to buy Amikit X at all if you want an "A.L.I.C.E" type system. Amikit is made up of free software..... %99 of what it contains is freely available on aminet and similar.
As for the "rabbit hole" feature, Im not sure how its been done here, but its very, very easy to recreate. For Windows apps just use Winlaunch (as amikit does) and for other OSes apps (linux, osx, aros, whatever) just setup a timer on the host to scan a location once a second or so, the contents of which will contain a script to launch software (defined by dopus' sniff feature....... if binary contains certain elements define a generic script (that launches whatever software youre trying to launch).

There's a few other bits to it to smooth out the rough edges, but for the most part thats all it requires. There's plenty of other ways to do it too, but thats how Ive setup 68k AROS to launch x86 AROS binaries. The theory and methods are platform agnostic though.

Im actually surprised this "Rabbit Hole" feature has grabbed many peoples attention to be honest. Do people not know how to use their Amigas these days?  :) Its all pretty simple stuff.

BUT "...some of us don't go out of our way to buy x86-64 hardware...".
Which is a seriously weird comment on a site, at least I, tend to associate with hackers.

You're willing to use something like an Amiga, but you don't want to know how to set it up?

OK...maybe there IS a market for repackaged freeware and UAE preinstalled on a laptop...still sound ridiculous to me, but if YOU want to pay for it...

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
Off with her head! (big grin)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:57:41 PM by SACC-guy »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:58 AM »
@Iggy

I can only assume you've responded to and quoted the wrong person there?

Complete and utter contrast between my post that you've quoted, and your response. Heck, my post was little more than a brief overview as how to setup a "Rabbit Hole" type feature.... hardly encouraging people not to learn their own system.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Rob

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;826191
BUT
OK...maybe there IS a market for repackaged freeware and UAE preinstalled on a laptop...still sound ridiculous to me, but if YOU want to pay for it...

Some people will pay for the convenience of not having to set it up themselves and download loads of files from different sources.