Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cocolino  (Read 1505 times)

Description:

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
Cocolino
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:12 PM »
AmigaKit technical support has sent me the following message about my problems using my recently purchased Cocolino mouse adapter.

"The mouse port is a funny thing. It operates on a finite line. So the extra circuit stuff in cocolino is drawing more current and this will be causing issue.
You will end with the same issue with every mouse. Unless its a proper Amiga mouse (no adapter)."

So...why is AmigaKit selling this thing if it won't work?
 And is there any solution that will?

"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
Re: Cocolino
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 10:12:43 PM »
Having used the Cocolino successfully for many years, that does seem like an odd response. They do make it clear that the mouse must support PS/2 protocol, however,  so I trust that is what you are attempting to use?

Thanks to the help of others, I was recently enlightened about another, more compatible solution:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1272

take notice of this important line in the features:

support for mouses using both USB HID and USB-PS/2

Cocolino does not mention USB HID support.

I have yet to receive my order of the Rys adapter so I cannot share my experience yet but it sounds like it will allow access to more modern USB devices.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:25:08 PM by jdryyz »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:46:15 AM »
I've used a variety of USB & PS/2 mice with my Cocolino's.  No issues.  Try another?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 06:00:55 AM »
Using my old Topolino mouse adapter with a USB to ps/2 converter and a logitech wireless mouse on my A600.
No problems here works like a charm (after i got a mouse port extender or else it wouldn't fit because of the A600 housing)

I did however have issue's with my Rys MK2, it works with a standard USB optical mouse but when using the scrollwheel with freewheel on the Rys MK2 it went banana's.
The Rys KM2 did not work at all with my Logitech Optical mouse sadly.

So I switched back to my trusty Topolino again.
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
I wish I had gone with a USB to Amiga adapter.
I have already bought one PS2 mouse.
The idea of having to try multiple type to find a functional one is a PITA.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
Well that does not bode well for me. What Logitech mouse did not work for you? I got the Rys MK2 because of the limitations of the Cocolino. I specifically wanted wireless capability. Bummer on FreeWhell also but not as important to me. I guess I will find out soon enough what luck I will have.

Quote from: PPC;813430
I did however have issue's with my Rys MK2, it works with a standard USB optical mouse but when using the scrollwheel with freewheel on the Rys MK2 it went banana's.
The Rys KM2 did not work at all with my Logitech Optical mouse sadly.

So I switched back to my trusty Topolino again.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 09:51:38 AM »
Quote from: jdryyz;813416
Having used the Cocolino successfully for many years, that does seem like an odd response. They do make it clear that the mouse must support PS/2 protocol, however,  so I trust that is what you are attempting to use?

Thanks to the help of others, I was recently enlightened about another, more compatible solution:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1272

take notice of this important line in the features:

support for mouses using both USB HID and USB-PS/2

Cocolino does not mention USB HID support.

I have yet to receive my order of the Rys adapter so I cannot share my experience yet but it sounds like it will allow access to more modern USB devices.

I am using a boring plain PS2 optical mouse.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »
Unfortunately not everything has been made clear.
Only explaining / posting part of our communitcations hasn't helped.

If you use the cocolino on your CD32, it works fine. You have already stated this. However as soon as you add your SX-1, it no longer works.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;813546
Unfortunately not everything has been made clear.
Only explaining / posting part of our communitcations hasn't helped.

If you use the cocolino on your CD32, it works fine. You have already stated this. However as soon as you add your SX-1, it no longer works.

NO, I did not say that, nor did I mean that.
The cocolino does not work on my CD32 by itself or my CD32 when connected to my SX-1.
It just does NOT work.

Matt has sent me an RMA, and I'd like to thank him for it (after all, he didn't design this thing).
Anyone in the US that wants this thing can have it for $15, before I post it back.

So...plus one for AmigaKit, big fail for the cocolino.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;813552

Matt has sent me an RMA, and I'd like to thank him for it (after all, he didn't design this thing).
Anyone in the US that wants this thing can have it for $15, before I post it back.

So...plus one for AmigaKit, big fail for the cocolino.

I actually, sent RMA, ;).
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;813553
I actually, sent RMA, ;).

Well...then I owe you thanks.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 04:24:11 AM »
For the benefit of people who might not be following this thread, are you saying you have a defective Cocolino?  Or that the Cocolino does not work on a CD32?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 05:14:25 AM »
Quote from: jdryyz;813456
Well that does not bode well for me. What Logitech mouse did not work for you? I got the Rys MK2 because of the limitations of the Cocolino. I specifically wanted wireless capability. Bummer on FreeWhell also but not as important to me. I guess I will find out soon enough what luck I will have.

It's some run the mill cheap logitech RF mouse i bought new many years ago for 15 euro.
I did not use it anymore because the mouse uses batteries for breakfast.
It works great with the topolino mouse adapter with a usb to ps2 adapter.
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 01:18:45 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;813578
For the benefit of people who might not be following this thread, are you saying you have a defective Cocolino? Or that the Cocolino does not work on a CD32?

I don't think its defective, just that when combined with the PS2 mice I have tried it draws too much power to function correctly.
 It doesn't work on MY CD32.
 I'm sure it would probably work on an older ball type mouse, and there may be lower draw optical mice that would work.

But at this point, I get nothing with or without the SX-1 (and I re-tested everything again tonight).

If I am going to use a ball mouse, I might as well use an original Amiga mouse, without the Cocolino.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
I own several Cocolino's.  They work fine with all of the mice I've thrown at them. Standard PS/2, USB (with adapter), and optical.

I guess the obvious question is, is that CD32 the only Amiga you own? Have you tried it ("it" meaning the Cocolino) with any other Amiga? That should verify pretty quickly whether the problem is with the CD32 or the Cocolino.