Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MUI 5.0-2016R1 for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k released  (Read 4467 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
MUI 5.0-2016R1 for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k released
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »
The MUI for AmigaOS development team is proud to announce the immediate release of version 5.0-2016R1 of the Magic User Interface for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k. Please find the release archives in our download section (http://download.muidev.de/).

Like all former releases a keyfile is required to enable all available settings. Old keyfiles from MUI 3.8 can be used without any restriction.

Please note that MUI5 for AmigaOS3/m68k is definitely targeted at powerful systems with a fast CPU and a fast graphic board. Although it is still possible to run this release on a real 68k machine an emulation like WinUAE is very highly recommended. Also colormapped screens with 256 colors at most are still supported, but MUI5 makes heavy use of fancy truecolor images and effects which cannot be provided on colormapped screens with the full range of possibilities.

These are the most important new features of MUI5:

• inline editing in List objects
  • built-in hooks for multicolumn lists
  • built-in handling of sortable list columns
  • support for fixed (initial) width list columns
  • new Textdata class to support UTF8 encoded text (via codesets.library)
  • new reordering methods for Group and Family class
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
Re: MUI 5.0-2016R1 for AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k released
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
What's with all these crazy renaming antics?

The original MUI 5.x has been an integrated part of MorphOS for years now and this "MUI5" is barely compatible with a subset of the older MUI 4.x.

Are the authors of this fork actively trying to confuse users and dilute the existing MUI standard by the original author?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
Imho they should be doing something more useful with their time, like selling keyfiles for all the people who would like to buy one but can't. :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
While I appreciate any development my first thought here was, "heh, MOS moves on to MUI5, and suddenly the next release of MUI for AmigaOS is called MUI5.  I guess they wanted to give the impression that MUI for Amiga OS is on par with MUI for MOS".

Is this "MUI5" even the equal of the MOS version of MUI4?
The naming conventions being used here seem all wrong.

And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist and dubs me a troll I use AmigaOS still and have no MOS system anymore. These recent upgrades to AmigaOS MUI however dont sit comfortably with me.

Bit of a sidebar, but I was surprised to find the full MUI3.8, including keyfile on some Amiga Format cover CDs.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:51:21 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
Another thing with this fork that leaves a bad aftertaste is the overwriting of class version numbers, sometimes with higher revisions than existing MUI components with more advanced functions.

This breaks version checking in existing MUI software, and it also makes writing compatible software very hard for developers who want to support all platforms. Not a good thing to do if you want more available OS4 software.

Considering that this project started to get some MorphOS software ported to OS4, it seems quite counter-productive to do stuff like that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:00:57 PM by Forcie »

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
So the MorphOS developers renamed their Mui from 4 to 5 in order to avoid confusion and now the guys want to purpusely reintroduce that confusion? Really, what's up with that?

Offline develin

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;813189
Really, what's up with that?

Penis envy? :)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:21:46 PM »
as others said, probably a rehetoric question, is this version jump justified with morphos mui compatibility? beacuse if its not, what i suspect, then its a deliberate and again very shortsighted, if not failed, try to confuse or even mislead the audience.

the correct way to get around this would be to rename the whole implementation, while keeping compatibility as its been done won aros or with warp/wazp3d. i recall similar debacle about the ixemul library, where morphos and os4 delivered an incompatible updates, while becoming shamlesly overridden by a os3 versin claiming a higher verion number. it was a very questionable case already, however, at that time none of the parties could claim clean track of record, i guess.

Offline chris

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »
Of course this would be a non-issue if the official MUI was built for OS3 and OS4 too, not to mention a massive save of time for the developers who could be working on something more interesting/useful.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline kamelito

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »
I suppose that they look at latest Morphos SDK and then once the new MUI functions are implemented they call it 5 as it is 5 for Morphos, non documented features cannot be implemented so I guess there is difference between the two.
The interfaces should be the same but not the implementation.
Kamelito

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »
Maybe the question to ask?

Does it make any difference to the general user as long as it works?
BTW, I paid for my key years ago, it took months to get me by snail mail.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
Quote from: chris;813196
Of course this would be a non-issue if the official MUI was built for OS3 and OS4 too, not to mention a massive save of time for the developers who could be working on something more interesting/useful.

same as with everything else, but since the prprietors are not in accordance with that, its the same as if someone houtside hyperion has released amigaos5. shall i remind all bashing arti has received for calling his amiga-68k sdl netsurf compile "netsurf"?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;813197
I suppose that they look at latest Morphos SDK and then once the new MUI functions are implemented they call it 5 as it is 5 for Morphos, non documented features cannot be implemented so I guess there is difference between the two.
The interfaces should be the same but not the implementation.
Kamelito

thats my question, if they really reimplement mui5 functionality, then even if i dont particlularly like mimicking it as a real thing (in contrary to arturs netsurf "fork" its not based on actually common open source called by that name) i could understand the motivation to catch up with the original.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »
MUI "5" is a non-issue, as MUI 4/5 is completely useless outside of MorphOS. It was used to compile Odyssey for OS4, but that project seems dead now. Other than that, no software outside of MorphOS (and very little MorphOS software) actually requires it.

If Jens and Thore want to continue working on it (and urinate all over other peoples' copyright with every release) - fine, it's their spare time. The rest of us only need to worry about it once YAM - Jens' and Thore's other project - starts requiring it. But since YAM's open source, that could be easily fixed (provided there's still somebody left who cares, once that happens).

Offline chris

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;813200
thats my question, if they really reimplement mui5 functionality, then even if i dont particlularly like mimicking it as a real thing (in contrary to arturs netsurf "fork" its not based on actually common open source called by that name) i could understand the motivation to catch up with the original.

Actually it's a fork of MUI 3.8, so it's exactly the same situation.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz