Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PAL / NTSC only games?  (Read 1256 times)

Description:

Offline walterg74Topic starter

• Show only replies by walterg74
Amiga PAL / NTSC only games?
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:06:33 AM »
Looking through some games, and from memory, I remember things like playing game "X" and when run on an NTSC machine to have part of the screen missing... Assuming it's because the game was a PAL version, which of course had more lines, made me wonder if there was an NTSC version that would display fine on identical amigas.
Having never found one for game "X", I was prompted to ask, since google did not want to be my friend on this one...

Is there a list somewhere that might show games that only had a PAL version released, and no NTSC version, and would show these problems on an NTSC machine? (likewise if there's a list of games that only had an NTSC version) :confused:

Offline QuikSanz

Re: Amiga PAL / NTSC only games?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:23:12 AM »
Quote from: walterg74;811546
Looking through some games, and from memory, I remember things like playing game "X" and when run on an NTSC machine to have part of the screen missing... Assuming it's because the game was a PAL version, which of course had more lines, made me wonder if there was an NTSC version that would display fine on identical amigas.
Having never found one for game "X", I was prompted to ask, since google did not want to be my friend on this one...

Is there a list somewhere that might show games that only had a PAL version released, and no NTSC version, and would show these problems on an NTSC machine? (likewise if there's a list of games that only had an NTSC version) :confused:

Depending on Amiga model you may be able to change mode in early startup, both mouse buttons on startup.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 04:25:37 AM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;811547
Depending on Amiga model you may be able to change mode in early startup, both mouse buttons on startup.

That doesn't answer the question...

So let's say you can't :laughing:

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
Quote from: walterg74;811546

Yes, many PAL games lose the bottom part of the screen on a NTSC Amiga (other PAL games had corrupted graphics and were completely unplayable, I think "Assassin" was one) if you can find a NTSC version it displayed correctly. I can remember reading a article in one of the Amiga magazines in the 90's about games that were PAL or NSTC only, but they only mentioned a few and I never found a complete list. On a related note, if you download pirated games that were cracked in the 90's most of them are PAL because there were more people hacking Amiga games in Europe than in North America, so NTSC versions are harder to find.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:13:21 PM »
Owing to the Amiga's greater strength in Europe, most games are PAL only. SPS has a pretty good list of everything they've come across (I would assume that Region EU = PAL and Region US = NTSC).

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;811563
Owing to the Amiga's greater strength in Europe, most games are PAL only. SPS has a pretty good list of everything they've come across (I would assume that Region EU = PAL and Region US = NTSC).

Thanks, I'll head over to take a look!

Edit: noticed they don't really show all regions a game was available in, just one. Also probably missing some, since that one I particular tried that time (World Cup 90 by Genias) is not even there...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:45:33 PM by walterg74 »

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:46:00 AM »
They would have separate entries for each release of the game. i.e., one for PAL release, one for NTSC release, one for a budget re-release (if the disks were different). But SPS is by no means exhaustive - they have a ton, but not everything. Even HOL is missing some things.