Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why I want an A-Eon X5000  (Read 1512 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guyTopic starter

Why I want an A-Eon X5000
« on: July 23, 2016, 10:57:36 PM »
Why I want a A-Eon AmigaOne X5000!
I have had an Amiga since Jan 1986. In fact I still have my A1000 with all kinds of add-ons.
I moved up to a A2000, because work wanted me to have a "pc" or in my case a BridgeBoard.
Thru the years I've owned each model, but the A4000 and the Newtek Toaster, then Flyer became the combo that was my "Amiga"!
Well, one day a power surge "killed my Amiga" and I spent a year getting it repaired and replaced. I couldn't find any NEW Amigas (of course) or some of the parts, so I settled for used. (sigh)
About this time the Sacramento Amiga Computer Club (SACC) wanted to sell it's demo model AmigOne-G3. I bought it to help the club. So I started late into Next Gen Amigas.The hardware had issues and I was fustrated, but I got it to work. But again used hardware.
Meanwhile, AmigaDave came to AmiWest and showed MorphOS running on a Mac. I tried again. But I had to buy a USED mac. Then I had to find a used video card that MorphOS used. Then the power supplied died. And again I had to repair and find used parts.
Then all my old hardware needed re-capping...
I gave up for a while...
But NOW, A-eon has want I want!!!
A NEW Amiga, New hardware. NEW!
The AmigaOne X5000.

Offline Acill

Re: Why I want an A-Eon X5000
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 11:01:51 PM »
To much cash for me. I lover MorphOS though and if it runs as well as I hear it will it's tempting!
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:59:59 AM »
@SACC-guy

i suspect there will be plenty of X5000s to play with this year at amiwest. i'm planning on bringing mine, for example. just got a new pelican 1690 to transport it in. depending on hyperion i might just bring my A1222 as well. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:18:52 AM »
In the same boat and similar thinking...

Any word on the pricing for the A1222?

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
The AmigaOne X5000 sounds like its going to be an awesome system.

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »
Quote from: Bodie;811549
In the same boat and similar thinking...

Any word on the pricing for the A1222?

No word so far.  Maybe we'll find out when Amiwest is on.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »
Instead of spending thousands of dollars on motherboards, I think it would be more reasonable to pay software developers to make any useful software that can actually be used under AmigaOS4.1.

I can run today AmigaOS4.1 (thank you Amiga Forever) on my PC and it is really, really FAST (faster then X5000) for fraction of money. Only one problem is there is not productivity software for it, like Web Browser (to start from), I can't sync my calendar etc. etc. use Skype etc. etc.

Hardware can be developed later, since any PC will do run AmigaOS4.1 at this point VERY well. Sure, there is difference to run it on its own hardware... (but it is purely "mental" difference).

Similar story with AmigaOS, it looks great (comparing old versions), but beside this "who cares" about it?

If there is Amiga COMMUNITY that would be possible: to pay someone to develop this software.

For Cannon Fodder I or Crazy Cars my A1200 will do fine. If someone wants to spend thousands of dollars on X5000, your money. I, personally would spend them differently :).
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline amigakit

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:46:11 PM »
@kreciu

I can run today AmigaOS4.1 (thank you Amiga Forever) on my PC and it is really, really FAST (faster then X5000)

I have to respectively disagree here.  I have used AmigaOS 4.1 on WinUAE running on a brand new top spec AMD laptop and it is substantially slower and more limited than my AmigaOne X5000.  OS4.1 on WinUAE/Amiga Forever does not have any compositing support, limited memory, access to high spec 3D hardware such as RadeonHD, it is not compatible with Warp3D Nova.  

In essence, OS4.1 under emulation only serves as a basic demo of 4.1 and not a true reflection of how it operates natively on high spec hardware such as the X5000.  The problem with using OS4.1 in Amiga Forever/WinUAE is that it certainly does not give users the true experience of running the operating system as it was intended.

As regards software development, the AmigaDeveloper.com Team have been working on new software for the last year and already made the Enhancer Software release with a lot more updates to come.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;811565
II can run today AmigaOS4.1 (thank you Amiga Forever) on my PC and it is really, really FAST (faster then X5000)

no. it's not faster. not even remotely close.

-- eliyahu

Offline kreciu

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;811568
no. it's not faster. not even remotely close.

-- eliyahu

OK. Fine, it is slower (I don't care). It doesn't make much of a difference, since there is nothing to run on it. I got it, looked at it and looks great.

Who cares this X5000 will be 1000x faster then emulation:  "ZERO software x 1000 = ZERO".

There is millions of computers that can run AmigaOS4.1 at this point. Now, how on earth to convince anybody to invest in this OS?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:29:23 PM by kreciu »
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 10:47:11 PM »
@kreciu

there's loads of software available for it. i mention some of the tools i use regularly over in this thread. and there are people investing in the operating system, hardware development, and application software. perhaps you might be able to make it out to amiwest this year? we can walk you through all sorts of things you might not be aware of.

but anyway -- this is getting off-topic. :)

-- eliyahu

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »
Quote from: kreciu;811569
OK. Fine, it is slower (I don't care). It doesn't make much of a difference, since there is nothing to run on it. I got it, looked at it and looks great.

Who cares this X5000 will be 1000x faster then emulation:  "ZERO software x 1000 = ZERO".

There is millions of computers that can run AmigaOS4.1 at this point. Now, how on earth to convince anybody to invest in this OS?

So you've made up our minds for us, eh?
Hey, I don't even care about the OS4.1 part, and I still want one.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline dschallock

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »
Quote from: SACC-guy;811542
Why I want a A-Eon AmigaOne X5000!
But NOW, A-eon has want I want!!!
A NEW Amiga, New hardware. NEW!
The AmigaOne X5000.

Totally agree man!  I am going to buy an x5000 this year too!  It's a bit of a push, but it's a push for all the right reasons for me!  Can't wait.  Amiga forever!

Offline kreciu

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 01:07:29 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;811571

I just don't see how purchase of X5000 type of computers will make AmigaOS have more software and people interested in this system/software. Especially when fully legal emulation of AmigaOS4.1 is possible on hundreds of millions of computers world wide.

I hope AmigaOS4.1 was sold in millions of copies...so people can run AmigaOS under emulation. I look at this problem from more "practical perspective", for a hobby my 20+ years old A1200 is fun and quite unique...

"Our minds" I say to YOU: ENJOY your X5000, really.

BTW. I would, possibly, maybe, kind of, sort of, remotely purchase "Sam440" type of motherboard for about $400. I could do it... kind of. You can believe or not I actually got brand new ITX case when Sam440 was "available" with intention to build "new Amiga". Now, I'm putting my NAS storage there... Raw speed of X5000 will not make it more fun computer, SOFTWARE and operating system will, and pushing $2500 hardware is in my opinion mistake. It will not create any large user environment.

OK. If this is off topic. I'm done, bye.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 01:45:34 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;811571

heh. i hear ya. my dream is someone coming to amiwest that has a beta build of MOS for the X5K. i really, really want to give it a spin on my system.

Quote from: kreciu;811573
BTW. I would, possibly, maybe, kind of, sort of, remotely purchase "Sam440" type of motherboard for about $400. I could do it...

i think there are a bunch of people who feel the same way. i really hope hyperion and A-EON can get the A1222 out to market sooner rather than later; that's the sort of thing will help fill that gap. anyway -- these things aren't for everyone. the awesome thing about amiga is so much choice out there. if the X5000 and AOS4 doesn't float your boat, there's always AOS3 and 68K HW, emulation, AROS, etc....

-- eliyahu