Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reusing floppy disks?  (Read 296 times)

Description:

Offline walterg74Topic starter

• Show only replies by walterg74
Reusing floppy disks?
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:39:47 AM »
Probably a noob question, but here goes..

I have a decent pile of disks with games, demos, etc. some work some don't.

- what's the best way to check if a game/disc that doesn't work is just corrupt and can be formatted to be reused of if it just get trashed?

- what's the best tool to format them?

I have an hxc emulator never used yet, a gotek on the way, and even a pcmcia transfer kit. With any of these I should be able to write image files to real disks. (Because sure, while we have the practicality of the emulation solutns for the drive, we all like to pop in a disk every ince in a while, right? :) ). One thing that throws me off is I heard Gotek does not support protected files, etc. and only supports adf files.   if that's the case, does that mean I would not be able to oroperly recreate a physical disk with it? And what's the difference in doing it with the transfer kit if it also transfers adf images as well?

Thanks!

Offline paul1981

Re: Reusing floppy disks?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 02:02:27 AM »
Quote from: walterg74;811514
Probably a noob question, but here goes..

I have a decent pile of disks with games, demos, etc. some work some don't.

- what's the best way to check if a game/disc that doesn't work is just corrupt and can be formatted to be reused of if it just get trashed?

- what's the best tool to format them?

The Format tool. Try re-formatting a disk a few times before you give up. Also, there are format tools which will format bad disks - have a look on Aminet for those. Of course, they won't magically format bad disks, the trade off is you loose some KB of capacity depending on the extent of the disk damage.