Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 Not Booting to Workbench  (Read 2424 times)

Description:

Offline Alley_Cat_JackTopic starter

• Show only replies by Alley_Cat_Jack
Amiga 1000 Not Booting to Workbench
« on: July 20, 2016, 03:18:44 AM »
Hello everyone,

Just rescued this Amiga 1000 from an old barn. It is in fairly rough shape, but it does turn on. The kickstart/workbench 1.2 disk was still in the drive. Although it is a copy, not an official disk.

The system turns on and reads the disk, but while loading I get halted at an error that says, "Can't open key file Comm.Keys".

The drive doesn't seem to be struggling to read the disk or anything. I figure the disk is corrupt and the file is missing.

Does anyone know for sure if that is what is going in, or could this error be the result of something different?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Amiga 1000 Not Booting to Workbench
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 03:39:47 AM »
It'd be two different disks - one for Kickstart and one for Workbench.  Assuming the system hasn't been modified in some way to support an internal Kickstart ROM.  What does it show you if you power it on with no disk in the drive?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:41:51 AM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Steady

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 03:46:14 AM »
@Alley_Cat_Jack

Sounds like your startup-sequence is trying to automatically start something that needs the comm.keys file.

When it has stopped, I assume you are looking at the CLI prompt (1> or something similar). Try typing "Type S:Startup-Sequence" or "Ed S:Startup-Sequence" and share the content here for assistance.

Offline Steady

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 03:46:58 AM »
P.S. Welcome :-D

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:48 AM »
Quote from: Alley_Cat_Jack;811341
Hello everyone,

Just rescued this Amiga 1000 from an old barn. It is in fairly rough shape, but it does turn on. The kickstart/workbench 1.2 disk was still in the drive. Although it is a copy, not an official disk.

The system turns on and reads the disk, but while loading I get halted at an error that says, "Can't open key file Comm.Keys".

The drive doesn't seem to be struggling to read the disk or anything. I figure the disk is corrupt and the file is missing.

Does anyone know for sure if that is what is going in, or could this error be the result of something different?

Probably not a bad idea to open it up and take inventory, may as well re-seat the chips while open too.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 03:58:50 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be 2 disks as well, however when it is booting the disk, it clearly says kickstart + workbench 1.2.

Today I did find a Supradrive 4x4 SCSI interface module in another box among computer stuff. Would it be possible that the disk is trying to get it to boot from an external drive? I'll have to look some more to see if I can find the second half of the Supradrive 4x4.

Also when booting without disk, I am greeted with the image to insert disk.

At this time, I am unable to type anything as they keyboard is in incredibly bad shape and I am in the process of repairing it. I have just finished desoldering the switches, and now have to service about half of them. I can show you pics if you want to see this horror.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »
Quote from: Alley_Cat_Jack;811346
Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be 2 disks as well, however when it is booting the disk, it clearly says kickstart + workbench 1.2.

Today I did find a Supradrive 4x4 SCSI interface module in another box among computer stuff. Would it be possible that the disk is trying to get it to boot from an external drive? I'll have to look some more to see if I can find the second half of the Supradrive 4x4.

At this time, I am unable to type anything as they keyboard is in incredibly bad shape and I am in the process of repairing it. I have just finished desoldering the switches, and now have to service about half of them. I can show you pics if you want to see this horror.

That pretty much says it says it, Bad disk. Hopefully the SCSI has a boot partition loaded.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 04:46:17 AM »
Quote from: Alley_Cat_Jack;811346

Yes, but which disk? Kickstart or Workbench? +1 for opening it up and finding out what's going on inside. Start simple, get the basics working before throwing on more, possibly broken, hardware. ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 05:14:26 AM »
" Originally Posted by Alley_Cat_Jack View Post
Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be 2 disks as well, however when it is booting the disk, it clearly says kickstart + workbench 1.2. "

This is confusing. Don't own an A1000.

Offline Steady

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 05:52:59 AM »
It is normally 2 disks (Kickstart and Workbench), but there is also a disk that combines both called (I think) KickBench. Perhaps that is what he is using.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 08:34:38 AM »
Well, since Commodore never released a "combined" Kickstart+Workbench disk, it's pretty obvious that you're dealing with a system that's been modified by a previous owner. Possibly heavily so. It's possible that the disk contains just enough logic to get the system booted and then hand off the rest of the boot process to an external hard drive. A screenshot of the S:Startup-Sequence on the disk might yield some clues.

In any case, IMHO a thorough inspection (and probably a good cleaning) of the internals of the system should be your first step. Photograph and document everything you see that looks out of the ordinary. Then try to get it booting with standard Kickstart and Workbench disks. If you can get it going that far, then you can try re-adding some of that additional hardware you found.

Sounds like a fun project, keep us posted! :)

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 06:53:42 PM »
Alright guys, I've got some horrifying pictures for you.

Amiga 1000 as found, not cleaned yet.

Inside the memory expansion bay there is an unknown module.

The boot disk found in the drive.

Starting the Amiga 1000 without disk in the drive, I am greeted with this screen.

Booting the Amiga 1000 with the boot disk found in the drive, I get this screen. This is where it halts for about 2 seconds.

This is the next screen I get while booting up the system. It hangs here indefinitely. Keyboard is not in functioning condition at the moment, so I cannot see if I can type at this point.

Amiga 1000 keyboard as found. Missing two key caps and has broken key cap receivers on both of them. Some keys frozen. Original cable not yet found.

Shell and key caps removed from the keyboard, showing the terrible condition that it is in. Multi-meter tests on switches for continuity show that most keys are not functional and need cleaning and repair.

A shot of the dirty PCB for the keyboard. Should clean up easy and hopefully the main IC is not damaged.

The worst frozen key switch I have looked at so far.

The switch opened to show the internals. Note the small piece of spring sitting in the bottom of the switch that has broken off.

And that is where I am at so far. I have not yet opened the computer, as I don't have the room on desk and need to use the kitchen table, which I only get small amounts of time with. I will post more pictures of the internals of the system when I can pull it apart.

Offline arttu80

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »
Congrats man on your find!

I deeply respect first Amiga model, so I too have one sittin' proudly on display in fully working condition. In few years past I had even four of those at one time,

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/5165/1_A1000Tb.JPG

but none were in such sad cosmetic condition as yours. Your pictures are really ones that show how OLD our beloved system really is!

Anyway, about your missing keyfile... Maybe really you need to check startup-sequence lines
as soon as you get your keyboard rescued. Maybe you should consider similar A500 keyboard  hack I did some time ago if no luck with original keyboard.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/images/5165/1_A1000smaller.jpg

Anyway it's possible that some Modem software such as Comm 1.34

http://www.amigafuture.de/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=4044&sid=d40d6390991a0f4422b5c4dcf70bf785

would need maybe some copy protection dongle or some peripheral connected and this causes sysem to halt?

Otherwise your system seems function correctly so congrats again dude!

Oh yeh, plese clean her up real good! ;)

And one more question, can you please post pix of bottom of case so serial number would be visible? Just curious because of these "boingball" logos intead of usual "checkmark"! Could be late add ons, but who knows, maybe some early unit in question? Seems your keyboard controller chip was made in August 1985 (week 34) so it's early all right! :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:47:30 PM by arttu80 »

Offline Acill

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
Holy crap! That's one of the original A1000 units with the boing ball before the commodore check! Clean it and the problem is in fact that floppy. You need a disk with kickstart that boots first and then as long as you softboot it will stay resident, then you can boot a WB or game disk.

Contact me in a private message with your info and I can mail you out the proper disks. I have an extra set of version 1.3 A1000 disks from way back that still work.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 01:44:53 AM »
Quote from: Alley_Cat_Jack;811383
Alright guys, I've got some horrifying pictures for you.

Amiga 1000 as found, not cleaned yet.

Yeah, ya think? Man, that is the filthiest computer of any kind I have ever seen! Jeeze, it looked like someone used the keyboard as a toilet for cryin' out loud!!

All that aside, I still think it is a great find! As Acill pointed out, that Amiga ball logo is not seen very often.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:15:22 AM by jdryyz »