Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are you allowed to send Cash in the Post?  (Read 348 times)

Description:

Offline fondpondforeverTopic starter

• Show only replies by fondpondforever
Are you allowed to send Cash in the Post?
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
Are you allowed to send Cash in the Post for things like Amibay?
Hop, Crackle, Blast Off into Spino Space!

Offline Matt_H

Re: Are you allowed to send Cash in the Post?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
Legally? Yes. Is it a good idea? No.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »
So a Bank Transfer would be a better method and also quicker than PayPal as it only takes a few hours to transfer money whereas PayPal can take up to 3 Days to withdraw money into your bank account. Thanks.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »
Sure, if you like sending money with no security.  Every time I've used PayPal to send someone money it's been instantaneous.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline chris

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
Quote from: fondpondforever;807719
So a Bank Transfer would be a better method and also quicker than PayPal as it only takes a few hours to transfer money whereas PayPal can take up to 3 Days to withdraw money into your bank account. Thanks.

PayPal is instant in my experience. Bank transfers can take anything from a few hours to a few days. If you want to send through the post, write a cheque. If you absolutely must send cash then at least send it insured (eg. Special Delivery).
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline paul1981

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 01:35:22 AM »
Quote from: fondpondforever;807716

Coins no, unless you disguise them in a small parcel. Question is, do you trust the stranger at the other end for whom you're sending the cash? I wouldn't trust anyone, not even most family members!

Offline paul1981

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 01:37:49 AM »
Quote from: fondpondforever;807719

I never withdraw money from PayPal, there's never enough to bother. Any money that does go in there gets spent again via PayPal. Clever buggers aren't they?

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:07:31 AM »
Think i will do a Bank Transfer next time, it's the fastest way for getting Real Cash in your Bank Account. Thanks for your feedback.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;807724
I never withdraw money from PayPal, there's never enough to bother. Any money that does go in there gets spent again via PayPal. Clever buggers aren't they?

K'Nay! I had a paper route when I was 9 and I fell into the same trap! LOL

Quote from: fondpondforever;807726
Think i will do a Bank Transfer next time, it's the fastest way for getting Real Cash in your Bank Account. Thanks for your feedback.

:hammer: HA! FondPond.....   You crack me up!  :)
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline rockape

• Show only replies by rockape
    • http://lincsamiga.org.uk/
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 09:59:17 AM »
Hi fondpondforever,

If you're paying someone in the UK then an electronic cash transfer from you're bank to the other is the best way.

HOWEVER.

If you're paying someone outside the UK by Cash transfer you will be charged by you're bank a huge fee.

A few years ago I checked with my bank and then a few others about electronic cash transfer from the UK to Germany to pay for some Amiga parts and was horrified to find that the banks charged at least £25 for the transfer.

Allthough we in the UK are in the EU we do not use the Euro as currency and this gives the UK banks the freedom to charge what they want to transfer cash out of the UK.

Now things may have changed but it's best to check what the UK banks charge first.

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:00:13 PM by rockape »
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to \'Their Country\' for an amount of \'up to and including their life\'.

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
Quote from: fondpondforever;807716

Send some to me and we'll find out :roflmao:
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »
How about sending blue gooseberries with rain drops coming down their ears and then envelope start summer saluting in mid air with water balloon bulging out saying what forecast the weather me peathers is going to be.