Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem with Prism2v2, Orinoco gold or PCMCIA  (Read 3141 times)

Description:

Offline KrisseTopic starter

• Show only replies by Krisse
Problem with Prism2v2, Orinoco gold or PCMCIA
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
I am trying to get a Orinoco Gold PCMCIA Wifi running but doesn't happen. Tried it the first time two years ago and it didn't happen then either, also couldn't find any help (0 answers) from another forum so this time I'll try here.

Installation of Prism2v2 (which people seem to use with this) goes all ok, but when wirelessmanager tries to start it (either commanding manually 'C:WirelessManager prism2.device' or the installer-made users-startup -file) I get "Failed to initialize driver interface".

I get the same result with a standard Escom A1200 (HD) and a A600 Softkicked 3.1 (Prism doesn't install on older versions) + Workbench 2.0

With the A1200 I tried also the verbose mode and got "prism2.device:0' conf 'ENV:Sys/Wireless.prefs' driver 'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A", didn't try with A600 but guess it's the same.

It's a bit difficult to search about the problem as all the results about  Orinoco Gold seem to be about getting an internet connection (not jsut  getting the card to 'activate') or some completely different PCMCIA  stuff.

As the installation of Prism2v2 is really simple and the problem is so show-stopping, makes me think either the card doesn't work or maybe I need some 'pcmcia slot driver' first.  

What do you think?

Offline x303

Re: Problem with Prism2v2, Orinoco gold or PCMCIA
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:41:34 PM »
The Orinoco Gold card only seems to support up to 128 bit WEP, no WPA or WPA2.
You might wanna check out this guide: https://bytemyvdu.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/the-internet-and-an-amiga-a1200-prism2v2-drivers-wpawpa2/

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
Quote from: Krisse;805863
I am trying to get a Orinoco Gold PCMCIA Wifi running but doesn't happen. Tried it the first time two years ago and it didn't happen then either, also couldn't find any help (0 answers) from another forum so this time I'll try here.

Installation of Prism2v2 (which people seem to use with this) goes all ok, but when wirelessmanager tries to start it (either commanding manually 'C:WirelessManager prism2.device' or the installer-made users-startup -file) I get "Failed to initialize driver interface".

I get the same result with a standard Escom A1200 (HD) and a A600 Softkicked 3.1 (Prism doesn't install on older versions) + Workbench 2.0

With the A1200 I tried also the verbose mode and got "prism2.device:0' conf 'ENV:Sys/Wireless.prefs' driver 'default' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A", didn't try with A600 but guess it's the same.

It's a bit difficult to search about the problem as all the results about  Orinoco Gold seem to be about getting an internet connection (not jsut  getting the card to 'activate') or some completely different PCMCIA  stuff.

As the installation of Prism2v2 is really simple and the problem is so show-stopping, makes me think either the card doesn't work or maybe I need some 'pcmcia slot driver' first.  

What do you think?

from what it sounds like the tcp/ip stack isnt up and going with the card?
prism2 and 2v2 are just the driver/wpa.
What tcp/ip stack are you using?
Which card are you using in the picture?

Make sure you have these installed.
cardpatch.lha
cardreset.lha

Orinoco gold works with WPA/TKIP only i think ,so assuming you are using wpa on the router, make sure you have that option. This of course isnt the problem you are experiencing since you havent gotten that far, it was just worth mentioning.

with a bit more info maybe we can help you get going

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
Photo of the card

Don't remember what I did two years ago with the A1200, but this time I was using the A600 and followed these instructions. It's a lot of text but it went like this:

Installed MUI (Don't know what it is and what's it for but did as instructed), went ok
Installed Prism2v2, went ok
Installed Miami, went ok

But when I started to configure Miami the problems started. You can search for "Miami already know the path" in the instructions so you'll see where I was.

When I typed in the the "prism2.device", I got an error message which I don't remember anymore. But it was something like can't find it, may be already in use or something like that.

Then I quit the configuration and started to troubleshoot and found the problem I mentioned in the first post:

> when wirelessmanager tries to start it (either commanding manually  'C:WirelessManager prism2.device' or the installer-made users-startup  -file) I get "Failed to initialize driver interface".

I don't understand much about what I'm doing, but as the wirelessmanager fails while booting the computer (the startcommand is automatically added to users-startup) it looks to me as the problem would be wirelessmanager <--> card rather than tcp/ip -stack or my router settings?

Offline utri007

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »
It is simply, it just works with this C:WirelessManager prism2.device

There must be something wrong with that card?

That point it doesn't matter with TCP/IP, it simply turn ON card and connects it to wireless router.

Card Pacth and Card Reset are they installed?
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardPatch

What TCP/IP stack you are using and how you do start it? Could it be started before wirelessmanager?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline mechy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 03:16:02 AM »
Quote from: utri007;805867
It is simply, it just works with this C:WirelessManager prism2.device

There must be something wrong with that card?

That point it doesn't matter with TCP/IP, it simply turn ON card and connects it to wireless router.

Card Pacth and Card Reset are they installed?
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardPatch

What TCP/IP stack you are using and how you do start it? Could it be started before wirelessmanager?

you are right, checked mine again and it finds it before the stack is up. my mistake.
I guess it is down to a possible card problem.

Offline Sir_Lucas

• Show only replies by Sir_Lucas
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:38:49 AM »
The card is fine and it'll work with WPA/TKIP.
Go to your router settings first of all and set WPA/TKIP - B/G mode.
Don't use mixed mode or WPA/WPA2 PSK. It is important that you set WPA/TKIP.
Then go to your User-startup. You'll find a line:

C:WirelessManager prism2.device

Put a semi-colon in front of it and save. Make sure you have CardPatch and CardReset installed in your Startup-sequence.
Now, reboot. After loading the WB open CLI and type:

C:WirelessManager prism2.device

We'll see what happens. If you have set the router right it should associate with the router.
What's your setup? What's the turbo board?

Offline utri007

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Turbo / accelerator might be one reason. Some of them supports PCMCIA only if there is max 4mb ram. If you have more than 8mb ram, that is not a problem. Those accelerators has max 8mb ram.

Failed to initialize driver interface error can't be because of wrong security settings. It would initialize card, but wouldn't be able connect.
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN

Offline Sir_Lucas

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »
I think the lack of CardPatch and CardReset might also be the issue.
Add both of them to SYS:C and then add these to lines to your SYS:S/Startup-Sequence

C:CardPatch
Run >NIL: C:CardReset TICKS 50

Offline pVC

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
Hotplugging the card while power is on (and before any related software is run) helps too, if it's about the same issue which would also be solved with cardpatch&cardreset. Just a quicker way to test if it's about it.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:52 PM »
Thank you for all the answers, unfortunately doesn't any better than earlier.

Tried a fresh install (A600, Skick 3.1, WB 40.42) today with all the help above in use, but still no. Snoopdos revealed some missing libraries (prometheus and powerpci) and downloaded them, cybpci.library I couldn't find but googling it I found that it is something that can't really be needed with a stock Amiga.

Two years ago when I tried this the last time, I began to think that maybe the card just doesn't work and as utri007 and mechy also suspected it might be faulty, guess I'll end it here and get a new one some day?

Offline utri007

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »
Orinoco Gold and Silever are excellent cards and works without hassle. You can get one from ebay for very economy price.

I know, I have tree of them. :) two in use and one spare.

Offline Sir_Lucas

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
Quote from: Krisse;805929
Thank you for all the answers, unfortunately doesn't any better than earlier.

Tried a fresh install (A600, Skick 3.1, WB 40.42) today with all the help above in use, but still no. Snoopdos revealed some missing libraries (prometheus and powerpci) and downloaded them, cybpci.library I couldn't find but googling it I found that it is something that can't really be needed with a stock Amiga.

Two years ago when I tried this the last time, I began to think that maybe the card just doesn't work and as utri007 and mechy also suspected it might be faulty, guess I'll end it here and get a new one some day?

Does your A600 have at least 020, because this is what the Prism2.device driver needs.
You don't need these libraries to run PCMCIA. Orinoco GOLD/SILVER work fine, I've got two of them, but as I've changed my router I can't use them anymore, as my router doesn't support WPA/TKIP. So, for everyday usage I use WPA2/AES cards.
If anyone is interested, I've got a lot of them for sale as well:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?81221-25-x-WIFI-CARDS-LINKSYS-WPA2-AES-AMIGA-A600-A1200-PCMCIA-WIFI

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81915

They work quite nice with RoadShow TCP/IP stack.

Offline tone007

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »
I had one of those cards that was simply broken.  Bought another on eBay and away I went.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Sir_Lucas;805935
Does your A600 have at least 020, because this is what the Prism2.device driver needs.
No, it's stock 68000 and all I've seen before is that prism needs KS3, not seen anything about 020. But nevertheless, didn't work with my A1200 either and afaik it has 68020.

Guess I'll just get another one.