Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ibrowse and ssl problems-news  (Read 3108 times)

Description:

Offline mechyTopic starter

Ibrowse and ssl problems-news
« on: February 19, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »
Found this news.. it may be of interest if you use ibrowse and have the annoying ssl problem:

19 Feb 2016 IBrowse 2.4, AmiSSL 3.6 and the POODLE attack I'm sure you are all well aware that many secure websites are normally  not reachable with IBrowse 2.4 any longer, due to servers shutting off  SSLv2 and SSLv3 connections due to the POODLE attack.  However, there is  a solution...
 This is delayed advice, as I have only just  realised it was possible: contrary to the previous news item, you should  enable both "SSLv2 support" and "SSLv3 support" on the "Security" page  of the IBrowse preferences. You must then also enter the following  command in a shell:

setenv save AmiSSL/SSL_CLIENT_VERSION tls1

This  will force any most applications that use AmiSSL, including IBrowse, to  disable both SSLv2 and SSLv3, and use more secure TLSv1 connections  instead.
This issue will be properly addressed in IBrowse 2.5 and a new version of AmiSSL.

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
Re: Ibrowse and ssl problems-news
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
Thanks Mechy! Good to know! Now, when might we see IBrowse 2.5 and a new version of AmiSSL? I hope soon... any devs actively working on these?  Thanks again! BTW, this will make OM's day!
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »
Quote from: mechy;804279
This issue will be properly addressed in IBrowse 2.5 and a new version of AmiSSL.

Good sir!  I say!  You can't just post something like this and not give more details!  :lol:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;804282
Good sir!  I say!  You can't just post something like this and not give more details!  :lol:

That is all there is on the IB news page.. it was passed to me so i passed it here ;) wish there were more details. Far as i know the guy who did amissl 3.6 is not updating it, as there are some problems he said. When you read this though it makes me think someone else is working on it.

http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/news.php

Offline Sir_Lucas

• Show only replies by Sir_Lucas
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:09:56 PM »
Quote from: mechy;804284
That is all there is on the IB news page.. it was passed to me so i passed it here ;) wish there were more details. Far as i know the guy who did amissl 3.6 is not updating it, as there are some problems he said. When you read this though it makes me think someone else is working on it.

http://www.ibrowse-dev.net/news.php

There's work going on regarding a new version of AmiSSL.
You can check it here:
https://github.com/jens-maus/amissl

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »
AFAIK the person doing the updates to AmiSSL is this guy:

http://www.warpdt.co.uk/

If so, I heartily approve!  Last I heard was that he had a new version, but was stuck waiting on the rest of the IBrowse team to move forward...
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Sir_Lucas

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;804286
AFAIK the person doing the updates to AmiSSL is this guy:

http://www.warpdt.co.uk/

If so, I heartily approve!  Last I heard was that he had a new version, but was stuck waiting on the rest of the IBrowse team to move forward...

He should be called the WarpDeveloper :) - a pun intended. Nice.

Offline futaura

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:13 PM »
I can't take the credit regarding AmiSSL - most of the work has been done by Jens Maus, and several others have been involved. It's true that development did stall, but to cut a long story short I stepped in recently to help fix everything as the code was broken and simply didn't work. Now it is working again, the AmiSSL team have regained their motivation, as you can see from GitHub :).

AmiSSL is not dependent on IBrowse and can be released at any time. However, IBrowse is if course dependent on AmiSSL - it would be foolish to release IBrowse 2.5 until the SSL issues were fixed and that means a new AmiSSL.

I didn't realise until yesterday, while reworking the SSL code in IBrowse, that IBrowse 2.4 and AmiSSL 3.6 could already handle TLSv1 connections - IBrowse 2.4 explicitly disables it for a reason I am unsure of. Wish I'd figured that out earlier as I could have published the "fix" as soon as POODLE hit and sites began to shut off SSLv3, but better late than never!

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
Will there be any improvements in HTML5 rendering in IB2.5?
And is the PowerPC AmigaOS4.1 version planed?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »
Quote from: futaura;804299
I can't take the credit regarding AmiSSL - most of the work has been done by Jens Maus, and several others have been involved. It's true that development did stall, but to cut a long story short I stepped in recently to help fix everything as the code was broken and simply didn't work. Now it is working again, the AmiSSL team have regained their motivation, as you can see from GitHub :).

AmiSSL is not dependent on IBrowse and can be released at any time. However, IBrowse is if course dependent on AmiSSL - it would be foolish to release IBrowse 2.5 until the SSL issues were fixed and that means a new AmiSSL.

I didn't realise until yesterday, while reworking the SSL code in IBrowse, that IBrowse 2.4 and AmiSSL 3.6 could already handle TLSv1 connections - IBrowse 2.4 explicitly disables it for a reason I am unsure of. Wish I'd figured that out earlier as I could have published the "fix" as soon as POODLE hit and sites began to shut off SSLv3, but better late than never!

Thanks for letting us know, i look forward to a new release of Amissl! Its getting harder to get around the net in ibrowse on my 4k ;)

Offline futaura

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »
Quote from: LiveForIt;804300
Will there be any improvements in HTML5 rendering in IB2.5?
And is the PowerPC AmigaOS4.1 version planed?

No and yes. HTML engine is very much unchanged - 2.5 will come in native OS4 and OS3 flavours. The OS4 port was completed long ago.

Offline futaura

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
Quote from: mechy;804301
Thanks for letting us know, i look forward to a new release of Amissl! Its getting harder to get around the net in ibrowse on my 4k ;)

Note that existing apps will not automatically be able to make use of the new AmiSSL. Programs need to be recompiled using the new headers, due to changes in the OpenSSL API (this has always been the case and intention - there is no way around that, so AmiSSL v3 was designed this way).

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »
Wait! Does this mean we'll actually see v2.5 sometime this century? :)
Do tell! Have the various permissions issues been sorted out?

Offline Sir_Lucas

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 11:29:24 PM »
One thing for sure as soon as IBrowse 2.5 gets released I'll definitely register it at once to support future development.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 11:39:16 PM »
Quote from: Sir_Lucas;804321
One thing for sure as soon as IBrowse 2.5 gets released I'll definitely register it at once to support future development.

+1