Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CF Card Reader  (Read 433 times)

Description:

Offline punkyclownTopic starter

• Show only replies by punkyclown
CF Card Reader
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:51:35 AM »
Hi All, Just got a CF Card reader from AmigaKit, set up the software and all looks good. Now here is my issue.  I have three CF Cards all Three have Amiga OS on them.  One is my HDD working great.  One I just bought from AmigaKit a couple months ago with OS 3.1 which I upgrade to 3.9.  This one also came with Hundreds of games in .adf format.  What I hoped to do was read this card with my card reader and set up WHLoad on it to play these games.  Only the CF reader software identifies this card as well as another with 3.1 on is as uninitialized.  So I can use them as HDD in my amiga but is there a way to get the machine to either boot from this reader or identify the disk so I can use them in the reader without having to destroy the data which is on them now.
Appreciate any feed back on this subject, thanks
Brad Hansen

Offline paul1981

Re: CF Card Reader
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
Quote from: punkyclown;803899
Hi All, Just got a CF Card reader from AmigaKit, set up the software and all looks good. Now here is my issue.  I have three CF Cards all Three have Amiga OS on them.  One is my HDD working great.  One I just bought from AmigaKit a couple months ago with OS 3.1 which I upgrade to 3.9.  This one also came with Hundreds of games in .adf format.  What I hoped to do was read this card with my card reader and set up WHLoad on it to play these games.  Only the CF reader software identifies this card as well as another with 3.1 on is as uninitialized.  So I can use them as HDD in my amiga but is there a way to get the machine to either boot from this reader or identify the disk so I can use them in the reader without having to destroy the data which is on them now.
Appreciate any feed back on this subject, thanks
Brad Hansen

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55862

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
Paul, I appreciate the information, it is informative.  But it's to vague for me.  For instance Thomas says that If the CF card has been partitioned with HDToolbox, which I believe it has
Then you don't need the mount file and you can use the "mounter untilitly in 3.9.  But when I do this it does not find the card. Which is what Loth77 also reports, Thomas then says you can go to the CLI and type "Mounter d compactflash.device" Which  finds the card as "not ready" and when I select it and click mount is say "RigidDiskBlock not found".  Thomas also says to check  "ToolTypes" does he mean on the CFO icon, and then check for what?  It just can't be this hard to mount a FFS disk on an OS running FFS...
Thanks Brad Hansen

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »
I probably has the dumb today, but not super clear from your post what it is you're trying to do.  Just assuming, are you trying to use one CF formatted with FFS as your HD, and one CF formatted as FAT95 in your PCMCIA slot, to transfer files to a PC?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:52:43 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 03:46:14 AM »
Mike, First thanks for pitching in.  I have three CF Cards all are formatted with FFS.  All
our theoretically Hard drives only one I got from AmigaKit has lots of adf games files
on it which I would like to use with a pcmcia card reader I also got from AmigaKit
as a WHDLoad game player.  But I can not get my Amiga to read the card in
the pcmcia reader because the setup is for FAT95 and not FFS.  The above links to a thread
which tries to explain how to get the compactflash.device file to read the FFS formatted card.
But it's just to vague or I'm to dumb to understand it.  So I'm trying to get some help on how
to get that done.

Offline mechy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
Quote from: punkyclown;803977
Mike, First thanks for pitching in.  I have three CF Cards all are formatted with FFS.  All
our theoretically Hard drives only one I got from AmigaKit has lots of adf games files
on it which I would like to use with a pcmcia card reader I also got from AmigaKit
as a WHDLoad game player.  But I can not get my Amiga to read the card in
the pcmcia reader because the setup is for FAT95 and not FFS.  The above links to a thread
which tries to explain how to get the compactflash.device file to read the FFS formatted card.
But it's just to vague or I'm to dumb to understand it.  So I'm trying to get some help on how
to get that done.

At the risk coming in late and missing something... All you need to do is download cfd.lha from aminet and run the installer
then download fat95 and run its installer, after a reboot you should be able to read/write to any fat formatted cards used in a pcmcia adapter.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
Quote from: punkyclown;803964
Paul, I appreciate the information, it is informative.  But it's to vague for me.  For instance Thomas says that If the CF card has been partitioned with HDToolbox, which I believe it has
Then you don't need the mount file and you can use the "mounter untilitly in 3.9.  But when I do this it does not find the card. Which is what Loth77 also reports, Thomas then says you can go to the CLI and type "Mounter d compactflash.device" Which  finds the card as "not ready" and when I select it and click mount is say "RigidDiskBlock not found".  Thomas also says to check  "ToolTypes" does he mean on the CFO icon, and then check for what?  It just can't be this hard to mount a FFS disk on an OS running FFS...
Thanks Brad Hansen

I wrote you a really long reply yesterday but my crappy android phone crashed and my message was lost. Anyway, if you can boot this CF card then it means it has an RDB which in turn means that you should be able to mount it with Mounter as thomas says.

If you examine the CF0 file in devs/dosdrivers (or storage/dosdrivers) you'll see it makes reference to fat95 which is a FAT file system. We don't want FAT in your case - we want FFS. But you can't just change the reference to fastfilesystem because FFS requires geometry entering into the mountlist (CF0) unlike fat95 - hence like thomas said, use Mounter to mount the CF partition. I'd try this myself but have no Amiga access for a week almost...