Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Wars: Escape From Mos Eisley  (Read 2188 times)

Description:

Offline UmpalTopic starter

• Show only replies by Umpal
Star Wars: Escape From Mos Eisley
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »
I wasn't sure in which subsection put this announcement so I decided this will match more or less.

I've  made a game for Amiga. It's my first one for this platform. It's  nothing special and I'm aware some of you will be disappointed but I  want you to know that the game itself wasn't my goal. It was just the  first important step in achieving something bigger and better (not huge  however.) As you all know there are many people with good intentions of  creating a game but after many discussion we have only a bunch of  forgotten posts. Only few pass through the first stage, and even fewer  achieve something satisfactory. Finally, a "chosen" ones finish their  projects as planned. So instead of coming here a month ago with another  dream-announcement I decided to start and finish the game in silence. I  wanted to be, how they say, "a man of his word".

The game isn't long but I hope some of you will have fun for a moment or two (I just hope no one will be frustrated on it ;)).
Very important notice: English is not  my native language (Spanish either) so please, please be considerate  and don't criticize me for wrong translation. I assumed that better  not-so-well translated game than nothing. I hope you all agree. Just  close your one eye and continue playing imagining what's the story  about; it isn't very serious so don't be one :)

Here is what you need to start playing:
1. Use 'help' command if you're lost.
2. Use 'scenes' command if you want to know possible moves.
3. Use 'talk to' command to advance the plot.

Requirements:  Hard drive is a must. It should work on 1MB CHIP plus some other memory  but I didn't test it on such configuration. I was programming and  testing it on 2MB CHIP, 8MB FAST and 68030 CPU.

Link/Download: SW_Escape.lha

Some screenshots:

This is an adventure type game so if you are stuck and decide to ask a question about a solution please put a text like SPOILER! or something similar. It isn't hard so I think many of you will want to do it on their own.

Enjoy :)

PS Star Wars is copyrighted, I know, but this is non profit production and for a forgotten by the rest of the world computer so I believe no Disney agents come here to mess.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:11:32 PM by Umpal »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Star wars: Escapre form mos eisley
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 06:19:55 PM »
Cool, thanks for the hard work, and thanks for sharing.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
I use to make story games back in the day. Good to see some still being made. The old "What now?" prompt brings back some nostalgia.

Good work :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;790968
I use to make story games back in the day. Good to see some still being made. The old "What now?" prompt brings back some nostalgia.

Good work :-)

Thanks. And I'm that old too :laugh1:

Offline trekiej

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
Thanks and good work.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Star Wars: Escape From Mos Eisley
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 04:27:32 AM »
Quote from: Umpal;790959
PS Star Wars is copyrighted, I know, but this is non profit production and for a forgotten by the rest of the world computer so I believe no Disney agents come here to mess.

Nice!  Just downloaded it, I'll try to check it out later.  Noticed when I clicked on the download it said "only two hours remaining" to be able to download the file??

BTW, that poor guy who made "Smurf Rescue" got a nasty letter from the copyright holder, all for a free game that had less than 50 downloads!  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 04:55:49 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;790989
Nice!  Just downloaded it, I'll try to check it out later.  Noticed when I clicked on the download it said "only two hours remaining" to be able to download the file??

It seems the server I uploaded to holds files only for 24 hours. I'll upload it again if need to.

BTW, that poor guy who made "Smurf Rescue" got a nasty letter from the copyright holder, all for a free game that had less than 50 downloads!  :(
I read about it just today. Didn't know this story. Anyways the Internet is full of Star Wars based stories without any permission (Disney would have to put in "jail" a lot of SW fans ;)). They are of course non profit as mine. I don't worry. The game gives credit to the appropriate persons (mainly.) And it's more like an experiment than an actual game. I'm up to something much more interesting. I'll let you guys know when the right time comes...

Offline vince_6

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 10:36:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing!
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline Bugala

• Show only replies by Bugala
    • http://www.ugalabugala.net
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
My guess is you are safe from legal actions, but not a sure thing.

George Lucas have publicly expressed his acceptance and even encouragement for fan products of Star Wars.

I believe that is also part of the reason why all the Family Guy, Thumb Wars and Robot Chickens have their big sized Star Wars versions existing and other trademarks, like Star Trek dont.

However, as  hinted already before, nowadays Star Wars brand to my udnerstanding is owned by Disney, hence new products after the owner change could be in danger since Disney to my understanding havent mentioned anything about relaxed or even enoucaring attitude towards unofficial fan products. But, as you pointed out yourself. Theres plenty of Star Wars fan products there around, and George Lucas by his encouragement in the past already started a momentum of Star Wars fan products which might be bit hard to stop at this point without getting enough bad publicity that it could affect even Disney. But that is just my guess.

Offline Striker01

• Show only replies by Striker01
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »
Hello Umpal,

thank you very much for your wonderful Star Wars Text adventure.
Unfortunately I have some start problems. After the language selection screen a I/O Error message appears (under WinUAE).
I selected 1MB Chip Ram, 8MB Fast Ram, 68030 CPU - fastest as possible

Edit:
Ah, changing to 2MB Chip Ram did the job! 21st Century Amiga... Umpalcode Ltd. :biglaugh:
Very nice sfx and gfx! :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:56:07 AM by Striker01 »

Offline xboxOwn

• Show only replies by xboxOwn
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 12:36:19 AM »
Quote from: Umpal;790959
I wasn't sure in which subsection put this announcement so I decided this will match more or less.

I've  made a game for Amiga. It's my first one for this platform. It's  nothing special and I'm aware some of you will be disappointed but I  want you to know that the game itself wasn't my goal. It was just the  first important step in achieving something bigger and better (not huge  however.) As you all know there are many people with good intentions of  creating a game but after many discussion we have only a bunch of  forgotten posts. Only few pass through the first stage, and even fewer  achieve something satisfactory. Finally, a "chosen" ones finish their  projects as planned. So instead of coming here a month ago with another  dream-announcement I decided to start and finish the game in silence. I  wanted to be, how they say, "a man of his word".

The game isn't long but I hope some of you will have fun for a moment or two (I just hope no one will be frustrated on it ;)).
Very important notice: English is not  my native language (Spanish either) so please, please be considerate  and don't criticize me for wrong translation. I assumed that better  not-so-well translated game than nothing. I hope you all agree. Just  close your one eye and continue playing imagining what's the story  about; it isn't very serious so don't be one :)

Here is what you need to start playing:
1. Use 'help' command if you're lost.
2. Use 'scenes' command if you want to know possible moves.
3. Use 'talk to' command to advance the plot.

Requirements:  Hard drive is a must. It should work on 1MB CHIP plus some other memory  but I didn't test it on such configuration. I was programming and  testing it on 2MB CHIP, 8MB FAST and 68030 CPU.

Link/Download: SW_Escape.lha

Some screenshots:

This is an adventure type game so if you are stuck and decide to ask a question about a solution please put a text like SPOILER! or something similar. It isn't hard so I think many of you will want to do it on their own.

Enjoy :)

I realized you are using AMOS to make this game. I also noticed there are more than one .abk file which is what I wanted to do in my game development. How do I load more than one abk file and not cause graphics issue or palette issues in the screen?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Drummerboy

• Show only replies by Drummerboy
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
Looks great!

But i was trying to download on my A1200 and the link show me SSL Error, i assume is because is from Dropbox, and the Amiga OS has a site security problem. I will check with the PC.

¡Felicitacines!, nice work!
Amiga 1000, 500, 600, 2000, 1200, 4000...

C= VIC 20 / 64 /SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

\\"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live\\"--\\"Silence When the Drums are Talking\\".... DrummerBoy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 07:24:20 AM »
Quote from: Striker01;791317
Hello Umpal,

thank you very much for your wonderful Star Wars Text adventure.
Unfortunately I have some start problems. After the language selection screen a I/O Error message appears (under WinUAE).
I selected 1MB Chip Ram, 8MB Fast Ram, 68030 CPU - fastest as possible

Edit:
Ah, changing to 2MB Chip Ram did the job! 21st Century Amiga... Umpalcode Ltd. :biglaugh:
Very nice sfx and gfx! :)

I'm glad you managed it to work and am happy you like my little joke with 21st Century Amiga (instead of 20th Century Fox) and Umpalcode (instead of Lucasfilm). 21st scene was rendered by my colleague jubi from ppa.pl (Umpalcode is my quick work.)

Regarding the sfx. I'm not a musician so I spent a lot of time experimenting on different programs, sounds and frequencies. If you like it then it was worth doing it :)
Thanks for the positive comment.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »
Quote from: xboxOwn;791411
I realized you are using AMOS to make this game. I also noticed there are more than one .abk file which is what I wanted to do in my game development. How do I load more than one abk file and not cause graphics issue or palette issues in the screen?

Thanks in advance.

I do not load them both at a time. First goes the one with crawl for the introduction and then another one for the outro. I only change their palette in appropriate order, that's all.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »
Quote from: Drummerboy;791428
Looks great!

But i was trying to download on my A1200 and the link show me SSL Error, i assume is because is from Dropbox, and the Amiga OS has a site security problem. I will check with the PC.

¡Felicitacines!, nice work!

Thanks for good words.
If you need I can upload the file to some other host server. Just point one that works on Amiga and I'll do it.