Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology acquires Ringhio Messaging System  (Read 1967 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
A-EON Technology acquires Ringhio Messaging System
« on: May 22, 2015, 02:09:04 AM »
news from A-EON via facebook:

A-EON Technology acquires Ringhio Messaging System

Cardiff, 21st May 2015

As part of our strategic alliance with ACube srl we are pleased to announce that we have purchased the exclusive rights to the Ringhio messaging system from its developer Max 'm3x' Tretene.

As part of the agreement Max has granted A-EON Technology a worldwide, exclusive, perpetual and irrevocable licenses to develop, publish and distribute Ringhio for the Classic and Next-Generation Amiga operating systems. Also included in the agreement is the exclusive ownership to all source code and binaries and the right to use the Ringhio name in all product marketing, promotion and branding of the Classic AmigaOS and Next-generation AmigaOS versions.

Ringhio is the advanced system wide messaging and notification system developed by Max for AmigaOS 4.1. Ringhio, which has has been in development since 2009, is Italian word for “growl” and in many ways it is similar to the OS X application of the same name. With the Ringhio server running, registered applications can inform the user via notifications displayed in a small pop-up box on the Workbench that a particular event has occurred.

These are sometimes called Ringhio messages because the server provides means through which the messages are communicated visually (in other words, Ringhio handles the actual display of messages sent by the Application Library).

The Ringhio message window is very similar to an info requester, only it does not require user interaction. The message is displayed for a short while then disappears. The short-lived pop-up notification window is displayed on the Workbench informing the user, for example, that an e-mail was received, a new tune was loaded for playback in TuneNet, or a program is being installed by AMIstore.

A-EON Technology has commissioned Max to create a new AmigaOS 4.1 version to add new capabilities and features. Plans for a Classic AmigaOS version are also in the works. On finalising the agreement with A-EON Technology, Max said, “I am very excited to work with A-EON for the benefit of AmigaOS software enhancements and securing Ringhio's future development". Matthew Leaman added, “It is a pleasure to work with Max, who is a long established, experienced and respected Amiga developer. We are looking forward to the progressive new features that Ringhio will offer for all of A-EON's software catalogue”.

note: the full press release is available here.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: A-EON Technology acquires Ringhio Messaging System
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:56:34 AM »
that sounds pretty cool.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 03:16:18 AM »
Looking forward fo the 68k version. Sounds good.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 04:35:37 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;789726
Looking forward fo the 68k version. Sounds good.

and whats that good for? im must say i hate these annoying popups, while im doing something im not in mood to be interrupted with. most they carry with is advertising content, or whatever is not particularly essential...

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 05:14:45 AM »
Maybe it can be a programmable inter-process notification system to compliment IP communication?

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:48:31 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;789732
and whats that good for? im must say i hate these annoying popups, while im doing something im not in mood to be interrupted with. most they carry with is advertising content, or whatever is not particularly essential...

Well, on the contrary, I would love to have pop up notifications when:

-An antivirus ends its scanning or finds virii
-The tcp-ip stack gets online and is ready to be used
-One of my disks is almost full
-cd/dvd burning is complete
-An application crashes
-A rendering is complete

But then, if you are just not used to multitask under AmigaOS, you wont probably apreciate this.

Anyway, it is your choice.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »
This is a good thing to have a standard event driven notification system.   Hopefully this could be standardised across all Amiga NG os
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;789735
Well, on the contrary, I would love to have pop up notifications when:

-An antivirus ends its scanning or finds virii
-The tcp-ip stack gets online and is ready to be used
-One of my disks is almost full
-cd/dvd burning is complete
-An application crashes
-A rendering is complete

But then, if you are just not used to multitask under AmigaOS, you wont probably apreciate this.

Anyway, it is your choice.

im used to multitask on any computer i have but i prefer not to have popup messages while i lets say am playing an online game or watching video. anyway im not convinced by your example use cases, there is no virus on amiga worth to have scanner running in the background, the tcp stack is fine when run once and its gui application is enough to tell me if it is online or not. i dont need notification for it. same for cd burning, whoever still does that in the usb stick era, an application is enough to handle it. what concerns app crashing, amiga has guru mediation or third party systems to to take care of this, like smart crash. and i prefer to check if my render is complete after im finished with other tasks.

honestly, maybe notification can have some advantages for complex systems like windows or linux, but average amiga user would probably consider it a part of what he calls "bloat". and i might agree here.

Offline Rob

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
@wawrzon

You're not being forced to use it.  Even if it was on your system you can turn it off in the prefs or delete the whole lot.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »
Quote from: Rob;789751
@wawrzon

You're not being forced to use it.  Even if it was on your system you can turn it off in the prefs or delete the whole lot.

even simpler solution is just skip on it all together. right.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
It sounds like it would be useful to people who are online a lot. Others would have zero use for it.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »
Nice move :)

As I worte in the other thread, some people just want to complain. :p

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Quote from: yssing;789763
Nice move :)

As I worte in the other thread, some people just want to complain. :p

im not holding you back. you may go and buy a system that pops up requesters on your computer if you want. fine. its a free world;)

Offline broadblues

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;789769
im not holding you back. you may go and buy a system that pops up requesters on your computer if you want. fine. its a free world;)

The important subtlety if RingHio notifications is that they are *not* requesters, they require no interaction, if you ignore them they go away. The most useful case I have for them is notification of emails arriving in YAM.

Second most useful is completion of a project compileing.

You can however click on them and be taken straght to the app that was notifying you.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;789732

I'm also not a fan, especially where they're abused (avast antivirus, adobe reader, system update notifications every time you logon...)

Thankfully Adobe doesn't support Amigalikes, we don't use antivirus etc.
Stripped of the abuse, and offered in a user configurable way (as you'd expect with Amiga software), I've actually come to like Magicbeacon (the MorphOS equivalent notification system by Geit), despite my initial misgivings about whether I wanted or had use for it.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)