Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology and ACube Systems strengthen strategic alliance  (Read 4135 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
news from A-EON via facebook:

A-EON Technology and ACube Systems strengthen strategic alliance
Cardiff, 21st May 2015

Following a series of meetings held over three days in late April at A-EON Technology's Cardiff headquarters, the two companies agreed a joint development plan to ensure the future of Classic and Next-Generation Amiga hardware and software development. In particular they agreed a new hardware and software development roadmap which both companies will jointly fund and support. Their plans include a series of exciting new hardware and software projects starting with the Minimig Plus, an updated version of ACube System's highly successful Amiga 500 FPGA implementation, based on Dennis van Weeren original design concept.

During the summit the companies also visited Ultra Varisys, the developers behind A-EON Technology's Nemo and Cyrus 64-bit PowerPC motherboards, to discuss future hardware trends and opportunities. Max Tretene, ACube's technical guru commented, "During our meetings we had very good MiniMig Plus prototype ideas about near future hardware and software development, really can't wait to realize all of them." While Enrico Vidale, ACube's business manager added, "This strategic alliance can only be good for the whole Amiga community."

Meanwhile A-EON Technology's Managing Director, Matthew Leaman commented, "The combined technical and financial resources of A-EON & ACube should help secure future success." Trevor Dickinson added, "I'm more optimistic now about the future Amiga scene than I have been for a very long time. All I can say is, bring it on!"

note: the full press release is available here.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:43:28 PM by TrevorDick »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Gulliver

Re: A-EON Technology and ACube Systems strengthen strategic alliance
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:20:36 AM »
I am intrigued by what comes out of this MiniMig Plus thing.
Hopefully something interesting.

It would be nice to get more information and features of it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:15:15 AM »
an updated version of ACube System's highly successful Amiga 500 FPGA implementation.

now, are they are really giving themselves credit for minimig??? cmon..

another load of marketing talk, as if there was public out there to notice..

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »
Pretty big scumbag move on the Minimig credits thing.  I'll take my business elsewhere as a whole from such companies in the future.  Taking glad-handing credit for open source projects is the lowest of the low, even if said company did make improvements and bring it to a larger market.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:34:14 AM by Duce »

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
Mini-ITX MiniMig Version 2.0

Illuwatar's modification of Dennis van Weeren's Open Source minimig to include such things as multiple video outputs, dual pic design, and true Mini-ITX form factor.

What part did ACube do?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;789741
What part did ACube do?

Not sure why you mentioned Illuwater's ITX version.  Only thing Acube did with Dennis' design was do a proper production rather than a small number of hand built boards.  Dennis should be credited in the press release.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;789730
now, are they are really giving themselves credit for minimig??? cmon..

another load of marketing talk, as if there was public out there to notice..

"Their plans include a series of exciting new hardware and software projects starting with the Minimig Plus, an updated version of ACube System's highly successful implementation of Dennis van Weeren's Amiga 500 FPGA design."

Better? :)

The meat of the press release, rather than the minor detail, sounds like good news to me.

It's good to see a strong cooperative attitude, and I respect that they're being businesslike. These are good things, aren't they?

I'd rather consider buying an expensive piece of hardware from someone businesslike, rather than someone who portrays it as hooby-level, and plays on your conscience when you need to make a claim under warranty. You can't have it both ways.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;789746
"Their plans include a series of exciting new hardware and software projects starting with the Minimig Plus, an updated version of ACube System's highly successful implementation of Dennis van Weeren's Amiga 500 FPGA design."

Better? :)

The meat of the press release, rather than the minor detail, sounds like good news to me.

It's good to see a strong cooperative attitude, and I respect that they're being businesslike. These are good things, aren't they?

I'd rather consider buying an expensive piece of hardware from someone businesslike, rather than someone who portrays it as hooby-level, and plays on your conscience when you need to make a claim under warranty. You can't have it both ways.

the particularly exciting hardware to date actually come from "someone who portrays it as hooby-level" just to name majsta, who actually pushed the limits said companies are unable to reach. also "playing on conscience" is something i rather identify with another group, guess whom.

to my knowledge there isnt any amiga hardware and expansions from aeon so far released to the public. the new generation minimig isnt very exciting in comparison to various community based projects around.
the only real thing in testing is the audio streaming card, which is of limited use imho, has been incorrectly advertised as a sound card and after all the excitement still remains unreleased.

this hardly improves my confidence in further press releases like this. have seen enough of them and doubt anything is going to change.

Offline Rob

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »
@wawrzon

Are you always this cheerful?

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;789747
the particularly exciting hardware to date actually come from "someone who portrays it as hooby-level" just to name majsta, who actually pushed the limits said companies are unable to reach.

Heh, noticed the typo after posting, couldn't be arsed to correct it (phone keyboard).

If I still kept Amiga hardware, I would probably have bought one - on a hobbyist level, and with no expectation of warranty, CE marking, etc. I see that as majsta's project that he's sharing, nothing more or less.
Spending several hundred pounds on a full, new system is something else entirely.

also "playing on conscience" is something i rather identify with another group, guess whom.

Dunno, do tell.
(Who, not whom, btw - "playing on the conscience" is the subject of the sentence. Are you Franko? :))

to my knowledge there isnt any amiga hardware and expansions from aeon so far released to the public. the new generation minimig isnt very exciting in comparison to various community based projects around.
the only real thing in testing is the audio streaming card, which is of limited use imho, has been incorrectly advertised as a sound card and after all the excitement still remains unreleased.

this hardly improves my confidence in further press releases like this. have seen enough of them and doubt anything is going to change.

Thought the soundcard was out, but I haven't been following that closely tbh.
Totally sympathise with the general pessimism regarding Amiga announcements - evidence from the last 20 years is totally on the pessimists' side - but A-Eon/Cube do seem to live up to their announcements, from my recollection at least.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Duce

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Quote from: Rob;789752
@wawrzon

Are you always this cheerful?

Commercial interests glad handing and taking undue credit for open source projects generally aren't well received anywhere.

I'll give anyone the due credit for bringing such a product to a wider market at a fair price any ole day of the week, but the phrasing of the press release left a bad taste in many peoples mouths.  The original designers of the minimig worked their hindquarters off to bring the product to bear fruit and that doesn't seem to have been shown much respect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 02:22:17 PM »
Yes and while that, the minimig thing, was an unfortunatly frasing. It was not actually the important thing in the press release.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;789753

Dunno, do tell.

do i really need to spell it out, who is constantly playing on fans conscience "supporting the platform by investments"?

(Who, not whom, btw - "playing on the conscience" is the subject of the sentence. Are you Franko? :))

no, im not, but im neither a native speaker and have my share of dyslexia to fight.

Totally sympathise with the general pessimism regarding Amiga announcements - evidence from the last 20 years is totally on the pessimists' side

its not pessimist side. its just some reason. at least imho. there is stuff to be excited about even in this scene, no doubt, but its not any pompous statements.

- but A-Eon/Cube do seem to live up to their announcements, from my recollection at least.

partly, as you know. i have a bit considerations when something is marketed as consumer devices, while in reality those are beta stage products, the consumer is supposed to test while waiting for support to be completed, paying the pull price nevertheless. i dont have this problem with community project, especially the open ones, where you fully know, what you are at.

Offline Duce

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
Agreed, was just a poor choice of phrasing.  Whether that's enough to change peoples buying habits is another story.  I know where I stand on it, and it's enough for me to put the nix on my 460 mobo purchase.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
Quote from: yssing;789755
Yes and while that, the minimig thing, was an unfortunatly frasing. It was not actually the important thing in the press release.

then what is actually the important phrase in this announcement? because if these oversights didnt follow some frequent pattern, it would be less to complain about.