Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WarpJPEG.datatype 45.12 - now with AltiVec speed boost  (Read 1191 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
WarpJPEG.datatype 45.12 - now with AltiVec speed boost
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
news from oliver roberts:

A new faster version of WarpJPEG and associated WarpDTPrefs has been released, bringing AltiVec  speed optimisations to AmigaOS 4.x and MorphOS users, making JPEG  decoding at least 1.5x faster than before, along with several other  improvements for WarpOS and AmigaOS 3.x also.  You may be aware that I  originally wrote the jpeg.datatype supplied with AmigaOS 4.x, but now  WarpJPEG outperforms it by some considerable margin.

Full list of changes:

* Added AltiVec speed optimizations for the OS4 and MorphOS versions making decoding speed of baseline images 1.5x faster on a G4 and 1.9x faster on a PA6T, with fancy upsampling off, on average. With fancy upsampling on, the AltiVec speed gain is even greater - 1.9x faster on a G4 and 2.3x faster on a PA6T. These optimizations can be toggled off/on using the new USE_ALTIVEC setting.

* Huffman decoder in PowerPC versions is now 5-10% faster.

* Reintegrated higher quality fancy upsampling smoothing feature from IJG jpeglib v6b which had not been present since WarpJPEG 45.5 due to its removal from IJG jpeglib v7 and higher.

MorphOS and WarpOS versions recompiled with VBCC 0.9d.

Added new set of benchmarks for OS4 (benchmark updates for other platforms suspended until my A1200 motherboard has been repaired).
-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: WarpJPEG.datatype 45.12 - now with AltiVec speed boost
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
@thread

i went ahead and placed an order for these this morning. futaura is an awesome guy, and his software is worth the price (at least for me), so i highly recommend others check it out.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:30:03 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
In MorphOS JPEG datatype is already Altivec accelerated so unfortunately there is very little to gain.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline futaura

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »
Quote from: itix;789364
In MorphOS JPEG datatype is already Altivec accelerated so unfortunately there is very little to gain.

AltiVec acceleration isn't just a matter of flicking a compiler switch though - the AltiVec optimisations in WarpJPEG are certainly not the same as in the MorphOS jpeg.datatype. I've no idea how good the AltiVec code is in the MorphOS datatype - it may be better/faster than WarpJPEG, or vice versa (I don't have the hardware to benchmark them).

Offline mbrantley

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »
futaura, just downloaded all the datatypes including the new jpeg and installed on my X1000. Also purchased license. Thanks for the speedup. :)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »
Quote from: futaura;789367
AltiVec acceleration isn't just a matter of flicking a compiler switch though - the AltiVec optimisations in WarpJPEG are certainly not the same as in the MorphOS jpeg.datatype. I've no idea how good the AltiVec code is in the MorphOS datatype - it may be better/faster than WarpJPEG, or vice versa (I don't have the hardware to benchmark them).

True. Just out of interest, did you optimize it yourself or is it based on turbo-jpeg? Or both?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04:09 PM »
Quote from: futaura;789367

Is the 68K versions improved?  Do you take registrations for the WarpDataTypes?

Offline futaura

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:53:51 PM »
Quote from: itix;789370
True. Just out of interest, did you optimize it yourself or is it based on turbo-jpeg? Or both?

The AltiVec code came from libjpeg-turbo which became available earlier this year (although not in a release version yet).  But, unlike libjpeg-turbo, WarpJPEG is still mainly jpeg-9a based, with a bit of old code from jpeg-6b, and the libjpeg-turbo AltiVec code bolted on, with added optimisations and features from myself.  Hopefully it won't get too complicated to maintain this mix of code bases in the future :).

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:02:52 AM »
Quote from: futaura;789372
The AltiVec code came from libjpeg-turbo which became available earlier this year (although not in a release version yet).  But, unlike libjpeg-turbo, WarpJPEG is still mainly jpeg-9a based, with a bit of old code from jpeg-6b, and the libjpeg-turbo AltiVec code bolted on, with added optimisations and features from myself.  Hopefully it won't get too complicated to maintain this mix of code bases in the future :).

Wow, good luck!  That sounds complicated.  :)

Probably a dumb question, but I noticed your user icon has IBrowse in it.  Is that by any chance hinting at anything?  Can't speak for everyone on the forum, but I know I'd pay good money for some updates to that browser for classic systems.  *hint hint*  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline futaura

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:58:55 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;789374
Probably a dumb question, but I noticed your user icon has IBrowse in it.  Is that by any chance hinting at anything?  Can't speak for everyone on the forum, but I know I'd pay good money for some updates to that browser for classic systems.  *hint hint*  ;)

Nice to hear :D. My avatar isn't new - it has been like that for quite a few years :) .  IBrowse has not been forgotten about though - it is going to be tough, but I fully intend for IBrowse 2.5 to be released at some point, especially as I'd rather all my work in it doesn't go completely to waste. The OS4 native version will get AltiVec in the internal JPEG decoder, of course. The main stumbling block, apart from Stefan, is AmiSSL right now - many websites have shut off SSL v3 completely, so IBrowse desperately needs the updated AmiSSL which is also being worked on (albeit very slowly).

Offline Templario

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
Thanks Oliver for this new update!
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
Quote from: futaura;789384
Nice to hear :D. My avatar isn't new - it has been like that for quite a few years :) .  IBrowse has not been forgotten about though - it is going to be tough, but I fully intend for IBrowse 2.5 to be released at some point, especially as I'd rather all my work in it doesn't go completely to waste. The OS4 native version will get AltiVec in the internal JPEG decoder, of course. The main stumbling block, apart from Stefan, is AmiSSL right now - many websites have shut off SSL v3 completely, so IBrowse desperately needs the updated AmiSSL which is also being worked on (albeit very slowly).

Oh!  Durrr, I didn't recognize your screenname.  I blame getting old.  ;)

Good luck on the update!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos