Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga Book  (Read 428 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

The Amiga Book
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
Hi

Retro Gamer have published The Amiga Book. 180 pages and pure heaven. The ultimate collector’s guide to the Amiga [ not my words ]. I was so excited I bought two copies. Anyway that’s me done for the day.

£9.99 UK.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: The Amiga Book
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
No ebook version?

Offline sm3

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by sm3
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:50:17 PM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;782563
Hi

Retro Gamer have published The Amiga Book....

£9.99 UK.

And out-of-stock already ;)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
I bought it here in Sweden yesterday!
Converted to SEK I payed 24£ for it, the store takes a lot of extra for magazines from abroad, but it's worth it!

It's a great read, even if I do not agree with everything and the must have collection of games leaves out a lot of good stuff that "should" be there.

Still worth the money :)

I also buy all Retro Gamer and they usually go for 14£, but I am just happy that they take in most English written computer mags in stores :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:23:29 PM by som99 »

Offline Lizard

• Show only replies by Lizard
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
Quote from: Duce;782564
No ebook version?

Yes there is:

http://www.greatdigitalmags.com/view/retrogamer/3339/the-amiga-book

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »
Can we order online somewhere?  Not the E-Book, I prefer a physical book.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Looks like retro gamer knows it's Amiga birthday and are doing a reprint / revised version of there Amiga book for people who missed it first time now your chance, don't think I will get it, the first copy had 180 pages this has 190 so I think it just 10 pages of new stuff but recommend the book it self it was a great read.

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/bookazines/the-amiga-book-revised-edition.html

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 04:48:16 AM »
The reprint/revised edition has hit the shelves here (in stores that carry these kinds of things) in the USA. My local Micro Center has seven or eight copies. And I have one, too :)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
Quote from: scuzzb494;782563
Hi

Retro Gamer have published The Amiga Book. 180 pages and pure heaven. The ultimate collector’s guide to the Amiga [ not my words ]. I was so excited I bought two copies. Anyway that’s me done for the day.

£9.99 UK.

bought in airport wh smiths  read cover to cover while ton holiday.  Was a good read
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ConradBhart

• Show only replies by ConradBhart
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
Just thought I’d add if anyone has not seen them, that the following items are also available:

From Retro Gamer: The Commodore 64 Book (I think it’s been on shelves for a while now). The book reversed is also The ZX Spectrum book. This did confuse me the first time I looked at it as I saw the words ‘ZX Spectrum’ and looked no further, only chancing on a version facing the right way some time later.

Additionally some recent Kickstarter projects: Commodore Amiga a visual Compendium & Commodore 64 a visual Compendium plus the DVD From Bedroom to Billions are all available on offer as a set at Funstock.co.uk which I just treated myself to a few seconds ago.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 02:21:07 PM »
Only problem is that with the new additions some stuff is repeated and also some
Stuff contradicts itself. Still a great read though
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 03:52:45 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;796012
The reprint/revised edition has hit the shelves here (in stores that carry these kinds of things) in the USA. My local Micro Center has seven or eight copies. And I have one, too :)

I looked at my local Microcenter for this a couple weeks ago but couldn't find it, and it's not listed on their website.  Was it in the books section?  Not that I like Microcenter, but I still remember back in the day when they used to sell copies of Amiga Format and other mags, and kind of wanted to support them out of nostalgia.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 05:00:49 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;796043
I looked at my local Microcenter for this a couple weeks ago but couldn't find it, and it's not listed on their website.  Was it in the books section?  Not that I like Microcenter, but I still remember back in the day when they used to sell copies of Amiga Format and other mags, and kind of wanted to support them out of nostalgia.  :(

I got the sense that it had pretty much just arrived, so if you go back it'll probably be there. Yes, it was the books/magazines section.

Micro Center's inventory management of magazines is quite poor. They also sometimes carry a photography magazine that I like (another UK import), but their stock is highly irregular and it's never listed online. The only way to know what they have is to go there. Fortunately for me I live very close by :)

I do miss the good old days when they had stacks upon stacks of Amiga mags...

Offline dwaldrop

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by dwaldrop
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »
I purchased the Amiga Book at MicroCenter in kansas City about 2 months ago.  They received about 10.   I went back about 3 weeks later and they were all gone.    It is a very enjoyable publication.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »
Also, for anyone buying in person, the revised edition looks almost identical to the original on the exterior. The things to look for are the words "Revised Edition" on the spine and "Issue 1R" on the front near the barcode.