Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you buy a new PPC laptop, if A-Eon made one?  (Read 1023 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Would you buy a new PPC laptop, if A-Eon made one?
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »
As I stated in another thread, I don't know if the CPU's being used for the Cyrus+ motherboard designs are low enough in power usage and heat produced to make them a good choice for a new PPC laptop computer, but I am guessing that they probably don't use any more power, or produce any more heat than the i7 Windows laptop I am typing this forum message on right now, so why not design a new PPC laptop?  Sure, it costs more money to design an entire laptop than it does to simply design a PPC motherboard for standard PC cases with PCI and/or PCIe slots, and writing drivers for the graphics and other ports & controllers of an SOC is much more work than simply putting existing components for sound & Ethernet & SATA & USB, that are already supported by AmigaOS4.x, onto an ITX, or ATX sized motherboard.

Such a new PPC laptop would probably cost much more than any existing Intel, or AMD powered laptop, and it might not be feasible to even try to design and produce such a laptop, if the final cost would have to be in the $4,000 to $5,500 range to recoup design and production costs, but this won't be the first or last useless poll posted to these forums, so what the heck, here goes.

The poll choices are multiple choice.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
Re: Would you buy a new PPC laptop, if A-Eon made one?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:29:05 PM »
TBH probably not as it would more than likely cost a good 2-3k to buy one :(
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:40:48 PM »
Quote from: carvedeye;778247
TBH probably not as it would more than likely cost a good 2-3k to buy one :(

Yes, that is probably a conservative number, but I don't really know what it would cost to custom design and produce a laptop.  I know that many years ago, my first ever Intel powered computer (not counting the Bridgeboard in my A2000) was an Intel Celeron powered non brand name laptop and there were dozens of small companies making laptops at that time.  It cost me around $1,500, IIRC, so factoring in inflation and reduction of production costs due to more modern and widespread production facilities, the cost of a new laptop could probably be only a little higher today, except for the additional cost associated with using PPC, instead of commonly used Intel, or AMD CPU's, plus the cost of the AmigaOS4.x license.

I have no idea what price a new PPC laptop could be produced for and would be interested in reading opinions from people who know more about design and production costs for such things.

I just know that it would be a great thing to have a fairly powerful (meaning at least as powerful as my G4 PowerBook @ 1.67GHz) PPC laptop that is brand new and likely to last many years.  I love my G4 PowerBook and don't think it will fail any time soon, if I take good care of it (specially if I stock up on a few parts that are most likely to fail), but if there were a new PPC laptop that I could run all 3 NG Amiga platforms on, it would be worth it to me to spend several thousand dollars on.  That is because I am still interested in all NG Amiga platforms and would like to see them succeed and grow more user base.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 12:59:59 AM »
Wouldn't buy one, because I'm not interested in PPC, and I'm not interested in laptops.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »
The cost would certainly be higher than that of the X1000 if we are looking at a multicore CPU at the 1.6HGz+ range.
The laptop/notebook motherboard would be a custom design with a smaller production run than the X1000. The custom design would either have to include an onboard compatible AMD (ATi) GPU, or if it went with some obscure but low cost embedded part then there would be the additional cost of the graphics drivers.
Not sure where people stand on the Xorro slot and would they consider the laptop/notebook less of a modern Amiga without a Xorro slot. If A-Eon released a portable without the Xorro slot they would be signalling that it is not part of the standard set of features.
What about other expansion ports like PCMCIA or ExpressCard 3/4?
Then there is the battery support in OS4.x, including sleep/deep-sleep support, power control.
Web cam, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, custom A-keys reduced keyboard, and touchpad support. Sure, some of this has already been done by Morphos and could be reverse engineered under license by A-Eon but all this extra work would be part of the development cost which would inadvertently become part of the laptop/notebook hardware cost.

At the end of the day it is all possible, it just seems so impractical.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »
The only realistic option is to pick out a cheap laptop, buy a stack of them and design a replacement PPC motherboard.

An HP 255 G3 is a good choice because it can be bought retail for £200 and comes with 4GB RAM, a 500GB hard drive and a DVDRW that can all be re-used along with the case, PSU, battery and keyboard, screen.

It would probably better to get a Acube to design something around an AMCC or possibly LSI PPC SOC.  I think some mid range Radeon mobility would be a good idea since we already have the drivers and a mobility chip will have the circuitry for driving the laptop screen.

The Sam460CR 1.1Ghz with 4.1FE is listed at £436.59 (£523.91 with 20% VAT)  So I think Acube could do a replacement laptop board with OS4 for under £800 retail  So a l think under £1100 for a complete ready to run system is a realistic possibility.

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »
I'd take 2 for 5000 dollars each any day. Bring on the laptops.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:30:07 AM by Manu »
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:27:17 AM »
I would consider buying if all of the features promised for the OS were available from the day of sale.

Offline AmigaOldskooler

• a.k.a Puni/Void
    • Show only replies by AmigaOldskooler
    • Old School Game Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
I tried running MorphOS on an iBook not long ago and it works like a charm. You can also get AROS for laptops. Personally I don't see the need for an expensive AOS 4.x portable computer. A very cheap entry model, like the netbook that was announced years ago, would perhaps of interest to more people? So my answer is no.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:32:59 AM by AmigaOldskooler »

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
No. Would a 68k based laptop be possible?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;778275
No. Would a 68k based laptop be possible?

Certainly. Anything is possible.

But perhaps something like this would be more practical:
http://hackaday.com/2014/04/02/bunnie-launches-the-novena-open-laptop/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+hackaday/LgoM+%28Hack+a+Day%29
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Kawazu

• Show only replies by Kawazu
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
Probably not.
The x1000 was way to expensive and my gues is a laptop will cost even more.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
No

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
Nope, I would rather build a laptop of a 68K fpga board.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
I wouldn't.  If I really want an "amiga portable" I could just pick up a Powerbook and run MorphOS for around £100, or run UAE on my Macbook Pro.  The price point it would sell at would not interest me just to run OS4.

Of course, if they ported OS4 to the iBook or Powerbook I would buy it, but that's unlikely to ever happen.