Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rapidroad USB/Trident error  (Read 801 times)

Description:

Offline danwoodTopic starter

• Show only replies by danwood
Rapidroad USB/Trident error
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:20 PM »
Got my rapidroad for X-Surf 100 today, seems to have installed ok in my A4000 and showing up in Trident, but getting the following errors and no USB devices will work!

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/PCCMRpm.png

Any idea what's gone wrong?

Offline Kernel

• Show only replies by Kernel
Re: Rapidroad USB/Trident error
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:50:13 AM »
This may or may not help, but I've been fighting a boot lockup and USB dropouts on my A3K ever since I got my DENEB a few years ago.  Those errors are very familiar to me.

I finally resolved the lockup and errors this week by removing the PsdStackloader line from the User-Startup; this was saved in the ROM of the DENEB as well so I wondered why it was running from both places and took a chance.  It paid off.  Since I removed the line, I haven't had a single boot lockup.  I'm thinking there is something that gets confused when this command tries to re-do what was done from the ROM call.

The only downside now is that when I warm boot, I lose my USB network dongle.  I guess I now know why it was in both the ROM and User-Startup now.  But a power cycle to it in Trident brings it back and to me that's a lot easier to live with than a boot lockup that happens 9 out of 10 times.

I'm going to try to fiddle with the PsdStackloader in User-startup when I get time to see if I can correct the locks without having to remove the line for good but at least I'm in a better place now.

I don't know if the ROM on the Rapidroad has the PsdStackloader in it but maybe you'll get lucky and this is the trick you're looking for...

Offline Kernel

• Show only replies by Kernel
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:06:54 AM »
And it seems that my network card dropping on warm boots is not as consistent as I thought... I just warm booted a few times and it came back no problem.

Classic computers... hmph. :)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:52 AM »
Getting back to Dan Wood's problem, it seems that you have a hardware problem that I had happen with a partially bad Buster 11.  Replacing it my X-Surf 100 and RapidRoad worked fine.  I also had the MB recapped, but I don't believe that cleared any issues but weak audio in one channel.

Kernel, the wrong programs in Deneb ROM have caused me issues as well.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:14:43 AM by danbeaver »

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;778261
Getting back to Dan Wood's problem, it seems that you have a hardware problem that I had happen with a partially bad Buster 11.  Replacing it my X-Surf 100 and RapidRoad worked fine.  I also had the MB recalled, but I don't believe that cleared any issues but weak audio in one channel.

Kernel, the wrong programs in ROM have caused me issues as well.

Oh ouch, that sounds a lot more severe than I hoped.  I was thinking it was just a config error.  I have a new Buster 11 chip from Amigakit in my system, and my board was recapped in the last 6 months.  

I'll get in touch with Jens and see if he can help then, if not I'll probably just return the Rapidroad, USB isn't that big of a deal to replace everything else.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
Did you try cleaning the Zorro slots and reseating the Buster?

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;778279
Did you try cleaning the Zorro slots and reseating the Buster?

I cleaned the Zorros thoroughly last month, and replaced my Buster 9 with a new 11 from Amigakit a few weeks ago.  Everything else on the system seems to be working flawlessly, the X-Surf, Picasso IV, Bigram +

I've had some suggestions that it could be a PSU issue as the A4000 PSU might be pushed to its limit with an RTG Card, RAM and the X-Surf.

I don't have the Rapidroad connected to the floppy power though, is that mandatory?  The included instructions suggested it was just optional for high powered USB devices.  I have ordered a molex to floppy adapter so I can plug it in though.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
Confirmed by Jens on EAB it's a A3640 problem.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=988633&postcount=210

Downgraded to Zorro 2 mode and works fine.  Hoping for a bug fix so I can run my Ethernet back in Z3 mode!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
Interesting since the A3640 A4000 is the stock (and most common) setup. I was using a CS MKII @50 and prior to doing stuff, had tried the Z2 mode.

Good find on that one, though!!

Offline mechy

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »
Quote from: danwood;778282
I cleaned the Zorros thoroughly last month, and replaced my Buster 9 with a new 11 from Amigakit a few weeks ago.  Everything else on the system seems to be working flawlessly, the X-Surf, Picasso IV, Bigram +

I've had some suggestions that it could be a PSU issue as the A4000 PSU might be pushed to its limit with an RTG Card, RAM and the X-Surf.

I don't have the Rapidroad connected to the floppy power though, is that mandatory?  The included instructions suggested it was just optional for high powered USB devices.  I have ordered a molex to floppy adapter so I can plug it in though.

The a4000 psu should power all that without breaking a sweat,assuming its in good shape and such. check voltages while it is loaded with everything in use. voltage is not the whole story but its a starting point.

doh, i didn't read far enough,i see the problems solved.

Offline mechy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:27:23 AM »
Quote from: danwood;778317
Confirmed by Jens on EAB it's a A3640 problem.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=988633&postcount=210

Downgraded to Zorro 2 mode and works fine.  Hoping for a bug fix so I can run my Ethernet back in Z3 mode!

what revision is your a3640?