Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigaworld.net problems?  (Read 910 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fizTopic starter

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Amigaworld.net problems?
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:37:34 AM »
Just wondering if anyone else has been having problems at Amigaworld.net lately?
Seems every few days Im blacklisted and either cant log in, or cant post.
Im just wondering because this last time seems different in regards to when I get the message, and the timing was a little coincidental. It followed me questioning Ssolie apparent need to be pre-emptively antagonistic. Perhaps I misconstrued his intent (although it read more like an attempt to be able to claim that, while really being antagonistic) and I did receive a few prv msgs supporting my perception (and speaking up about it), so who knows? Even some of the most overtly diplomatic amiga users couldn't say for sure what the intention really was.

Anyway, I guess Im just trying to find out if I am indeed being banned/suspended, or if there's issues?
I really hope Im not banned, as Ive done nothing wrong, besides (in the eyes of some) not "falling into line".
Quite amusing responses by some of the cult members/succubi though after their grand leader and dictators behaviour was questioned   :)
Made me want to stick around the place more, just for spite (you know who you are chuckles).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline amigakit

Re: Amigaworld.net problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:40:58 AM »
I am looking into the problem.  It's nothing to do with us and has been setup before.  It seems to be some mechanism to stop know IPs which spambots operate from.  I will need to look into it more definatively to get to the bottom of the problem. I noticed it once myself when I tried to login from a public wifi hotspot but do not get the problem when logging in from the office or home.

Are you on a static IP or dynamic?
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;776028
Just wondering if anyone else has been having problems at Amigaworld.net lately?
Im just wondering because this last time seems different in regards to when I get the message, and the timing was a little coincidental. It followed me questioning Ssolie apparent need to be pre-emptively antagonistic. Perhaps I misconstrued his intent (although it read more like an attempt to be able to claim that, while really being antagonistic) and I did receive a few prv msgs supporting my perception (and speaking up about it), so who knows? Even some of the most overtly diplomatic amiga users couldn't say for sure what the intention really was.

Anyway, I guess Im just trying to find out if I am indeed being banned/suspended, or if there's issues?
I really hope Im not banned, as Ive done nothing wrong, besides (in the eyes of some) not "falling into line".
Quite amusing responses by some of the cult members/succubi though after their grand leader and dictators behaviour was questioned   :)
Made me want to stick around the place more, just for spite (you know who you are chuckles).
yikes. i can't imagine that would be the cause, though. they have some sort of software that prevents connections from IP addresses that are flagged as being the source of spam. the problem with that system is that if you're getting your IP address dynamically from your ISP, every time you restart your local router, you have a chance of getting one someone else previously used for that purpose. did you try contacting the AWN staff via email? they might be able to figure this out for you. i can imagine it's frustrating.

anyway -- yet another reason amiga.org is the place to be. ;)

edit: looks like amigakit was a little faster with the reply button.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:56:39 AM »
Thanks for the responses, and yes, my ip is dynamic, so hopefully that's the reason.
Glad it's not from something Ive done, as while my tone there the last few days has been a little discouraged, Ive done nothing wrong/offensive (apart from in the eyes of a few who *chose* to take issue, when there was no real issue).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:07:39 AM »
@fishy Fiz

I was blacklisted today when I tried to log in from work.  My hotel connection is working OK though.  Quite a few people seem to get this issue from time to time.  I just checked and your account isn't restricted in any way.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:16 AM »
@Darrin

Great. Thanks for looking.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:57:47 AM »
It happens because AWN is member of crappy blacklist system. It bans IP addresses where someone have sent spam mail. It does not work very well. If I get IP address banned I wait to get new IP address and it works again.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:07:22 AM »
What a ridiculous idea.
Given that there's about 5 million customers for my isp it means that about 1/4 of Australia cant log in more often than not.
Twenty four hours later and things are no better, despite refreshing my ip about a dozen times.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
Not sure what happened to cause this problem, but as others have stated, similar login problems pop up occasionally for different members, and yes, it is almost always due to how the site maintainers attempt to combat spam-bots.  The number of attacks by spam-bots is unbelievable sometimes.

I am sure someone there will find a solution and get you back to being able to post shortly.  I am not technically savvy enough to work on such problems with site maintenance, but other staff members are.

In response to the 2nd half of your OP, please don't insult other members by calling them cult members/succubi, grand leaders, or dictators (or were you trying to say grand leaders with dictators behavior?), and I really discourage you from doing anything on the forums out of "spite", even in jest.  It is fine to disagree with other opinions and even okay to take part in friendly arguments or debates of differing opinions, but neither site allows personal attacks or insults, and we are trying hard to move toward a friendlier atmosphere, that will reflect more positively to anyone who visits the forums.  Find other ways to amuse yourself than (to use your term) antagonizing other members, no matter how much you disagree with their point of view or choices.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »
I said what I said for a reason.
It was in response, a reaction. I didn't instigate it.
My choice of words was quite apt. There are people in the community who fit that description, hence my choice of words. Had there been no instigation, I wouldn't have responded, simple as that. If you want to take issue with people, take issue with them.
Im not a trouble maker, but neither am I door mat for those who take their hobby as gospel.
Recommend all you like, but my responses are based on other peoples actions, so that'll influence the outcome of my behaviour.
In short, stop people acting like clowns (even those that are part of certain "businesses", let alone their disciples), and I'll have nothing to respond to.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:57:51 AM by fishy_fiz »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;776054
Not sure what happened to cause this problem, but as others have stated, similar login problems pop up occasionally for different members, and yes, it is almost always due to how the site maintainers attempt to combat spam-bots.  The number of attacks by spam-bots is unbelievable sometimes.

I am sure someone there will find a solution and get you back to being able to post shortly.  I am not technically savvy enough to work on such problems with site maintenance, but other staff members are.

In response to the 2nd half of your OP, please don't insult other members by calling them cult members/succubi, grand leaders, or dictators (or were you trying to say grand leaders with dictators behavior?), and I really discourage you from doing anything on the forums out of "spite", even in jest.  It is fine to disagree with other opinions and even okay to take part in friendly arguments or debates of differing opinions, but neither site allows personal attacks or insults, and we are trying hard to move toward a friendlier atmosphere, that will reflect more positively to anyone who visits the forums.  Find other ways to amuse yourself than (to use your term) antagonizing other members, no matter how much you disagree with their point of view or choices.

To answer your second part, this member fishy was reacting to someone who loves provocations. I can remember him saying he does not care if most users are annoyed (only as example). In this case there were already a lot of discussions about the size of fonts (you know what I mean) so a official representative of a platform (what he always stresses) should be diplomat and not provocateur. And people react on that. So if you talk about fishy you should talk also about who was the reason for that otherwise it looks a little uniquesided.

that people understand what it is about (from amigaworld)

Comment from a certain prominent person:

"Very well. I'm using it right now on my A500 system.

@armchair lawyers
Yes, I left off the "One" so deal with it  "

there were discussions before because "ONE" in AmigaONE X5000 bootscreen is becoming smaller and smaller with each release leaving Amiga 5000 when you do not look carefully (I do not remember the thread)

If there will be a X9000 it will be one pixel high and 1 pixel width, a dot :-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:02:46 AM by OlafS3 »

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »
@OlafS3

That was part of it, but for clarification it wasn't even really so much what was said, nor a few of the follow ups that got me a little riled up, but rather the simple fact that it was all so unnecessary.
All that was ever going to come from it was to alienate people. And that's exactly what happened. Not just me either.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
well its not that random. up till now i have never a problem to log into the aw.net from my german provider, but couldnt do that from poland. the quick solution was using an anon proxy. which is annoying to be forced to and likely insecure. but well neither them nor this site is currently on my favourite list, so i dont care much.

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »
Dear Anonymous user your IP address has been temporarily refused access to this site.
This can occur when a severe attack is under way.
Please try again in 10 minutes.
If you are a legitimate portal user impacted by the ban please contact us on IRC or via e-Mail for further instructions.

Its working now tho, but seems to shut me out from time to time.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;776028

A lot of people are affected, f.e. I have trouble from home but all is ok from office. So it has nothing to do with user acoounts.