Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWest 2014 Reports and Videos  (Read 1791 times)

Description:

Offline eliyahuTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
AmiWest 2014 Reports and Videos
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »
@thread

since so many folks have been posting on amiwest, i thought i'd type up a quick walk-through of my time at the show this year. here goes....

i arrived in sacramento on wednesday on the train from chicago a day before the programming seminar was due to start as i usually do. brian deneen (president of SACC, the user group that runs amiwest) and steven solie (@ssolie) were kind enough to pick me up and take me to the show hotel. after checking in we piled into len's truck and went to brian's office to start carting the signs and other equipment needed for the show to the hotel. andy (@broadblues), Epsilon, and others were already starting to show up.

thursday morning we all set up our next-generation machines up in one of the hotel meeting rooms to start the programming seminar. this year was more akin to a hackathon, for those of you familiar with the term in the linux world. we each brought an idea or a project to work on while developers from the AOS4 team helped out. there were eleven attendees and four developers on-hand to help. i wanted to port over libvncserver as a standard amiga library and from there work on a new VNC server to replace amivnc. i learned plenty, as did others. one husband-and-wife team is interested in continuing jabberwocky development, for example.

friday some of the regular attendees started rolling in, with many of us still hacking away on our machines. during the show, one of the tables in the presentation area was set up for folks to keep their computers there so they could continue to code during the show. the SACC guys all started showing up that afternoon to set up the best display of classic hardware and software i've ever seen. every system commodore shipped was available for folks to use, with plenty of installed software ready to go; the 'jay miner' software library was available to peruse, which includes hundreds of titles; and daniel and alan were available throughout the show to help repair classic gear that needed some TLC. friday night was the classic clinic, and folks brought in machines needing repairs. bill borsari brought his A4000 desktop which needed re-capping, and there was an A3000T, too, which was being worked on. someone also brought an A1200 to have looked at by amigakit. many of the attendees went out to an italian restaurant afterwards for dinner, and upon their return, the party continued late into the night, with everyone helping themselves to some of the beer brought by robert goodlett (@goody).

saturday morning the show officially was kicked off. this year the vendors included hyperion entertainment showing off an amigaone 500 and sam440ep running the latest build of amigaos 4.1 final edition; intuitionbase.com, which on saturday was ably represented by mike brantley (@mbrantley) and samantha brantley demonstrating digital painting with sketchblock and other graphics tools; A-EON, which was showing off amistore, radiance, and a couple of beta testers brought their amigaone x5000 systems; SACC, which had an awesome display of classic gear taking up a good portion of the show floor; bill borsari (@tekmage) of UGN, who did a great job of streaming the presentations with a video toaster-based broadcast setup; Epsilon came all the way from australia and was showing a powerbook with MOS 3.7, a macbook pro running AOS4.1 classic under winuae, a netbook running AROS, and a minimig runing some classic games; infocessories, which was showing off amiga REBOL on a sam440ep; matthew leaman of amigakit (@amigakit), who had a couple of tables with classic kit for sale; and alex perez, who was showing a chameleon 64 and an X5000 running linux.

the presentations were kicked off by the indomitable steven solie, who updated the crowd on amigaos 4.1 final edition and where things were with amigaos 4.2. hyperion followed up the presentation with a formal press release on AOS4.1 final edition (http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=157:amigaos-41-final-edition&catid=36:amigaos-4x&Itemid=18) with details on what's included. for some reason hyperion wanted to keep some of the details under wraps until the next issue of amiga future is released, in which is an exclusive preview article. kinda wanting to give the attendees a bit more info, i actually did a demo of the new release on sunday (with permission, of course :)), but more on that later. next up was trevor dickinson (@TrevorDick) of A-EON who had tons of news, including:

• the official unveiling of amistore with a terrific apple-style introduction video
  • the official unveiling of radiance, a great suite of graphics and video tools
  • the official unveiling of version 2.4 of the radeonhd drivers, which now supports composited video, much-improved performance, and support for most AMD R5, R7, and R9 video cards
  • an update on libreoffice for AOS4
  • an update on warp3D support for radeonhd cards, including news that A-EON has purchased the rights to the W3D source
  • an update on the amigaone X5000 beta testing
  • news that A-EON has acquired the rights to octamed soundstudio from the original developer and is working on a native AOS4 version
  • the official unveiling of the first xorro board and news that more are in the works
  • and, lastly, that amigaworld.net, like amiga.org, is now being sponsored by A-EON
 paul sadlik, a very active beta tester for amistore, was running it on his SAM at the hyperion table for folks interested in checking it out, some of the X5000 machines were around the show floor, the new drivers were up and running.... so, yeah, nothin' going on in amiga-land, huh? ;)

after lunch we were treated to the first of several presentations by andy broad, this one showing up some of the components in the radiance multimedia suite for AOS4. the package includes:

• version 2.4 of the radeonhd driver set
  • an updated dvplayer to use composited video, plus new performance tweaks
  • an updated mplayer to use composited video, plus major performance enhancements
  • sketchblock 2.7 and sketchblock fractals for radiance, a terrific digital sketching and image editing program
  • personal paint 7.3 for AOS4, which has received a pile of new features and runs natively now on next-generation machines
  • workbench candi -- animated and composited backgrounds for the workbench
  • animated icons for workbench
  • and tons of new backdrops, videos, posters, etc.
andy also walked us through the new sketchblock and personal paint features, which looked terrific. my only frustration was having to wait a few more weeks to get this stuff. all of it will be made available via amistore through the radiance bundle or individually. i've been using sketchblock for over a year now, and am a big fan, and have already paid for personal paint 7.3. now we just need amistore to release to the public.... (hint, hint ;))

bill borsari did his annual review of games released in the past year including the latest from cherry darling and some indie releases for the classic amiga, like solid gold. bill also showed off some CD32 games, the chameleon 64, and the new bespoke joystick from amigakit. afterwards folks started to shuffle out while the banquet was being setup by the caterers.

... continued in part two ...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:43:43 AM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: AmiWest 2014 Show Report
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
... continued from part one (above) ...

the banquet turned out to be outstanding this year. andy broad was the headliner this year, and walked us through his views on the state of the platform, his own amiga history, and treated us to some wonderful blues music. for those of you not familiar with andy, he's the developer behind sketchblock for AOS4; blender for AOS4; ports of perl and PIL for AOS4; proaction, aorganiser, animicon, and aweb. he's also a tremendously talented blues musician. you can find out more about andy, his software, and his music at http://www.broad.ology.org.uk/. and if andy's terrific keynote wasn't enough, this year we were honored with the presence of colin proudfoot and his wife. colin was the managing director at commodore UK and served up some great stories about the old days, including plenty of dirt on mehdi ali. this year there were around fifty people (i counted 49 exactly, but may have missed some) who stayed around for the banquet, although, truth be told, while everyone was eating, i was busy debugging one of the X5000 machines.

naturally there was the after-party in which copious amounts of beer flowed. a bunch of us stayed behind in the lobby of the hotel, drinking and talking the night away. some more than others. in fact a certain new zealander whom i won't name needed sunglasses the next morning. ;-) this is one of the best features of amiwest: the social aspect. the forums can be a rather, er, lively place at times, but at amiwest everyone gets along splendidly. it's a great event: amigans spending two days talking amiga, discovering new things, watching demos, playing games, tinkering with hardware, and otherwise having a great time. plenty of commodore veterans stop by every year, and it's always nice to see folks from the forums, like ken lester (@klesterjr) and TJ (@AmigaSociety), in real life. there were so many amiga.org members around, maybe next year we should do an official get-together at the show. any thoughts?

sunday morning dawned earlier than many of us expected and the first presentation of the day was, actually, me. i had asked steven solie the previous night if i could show off some of the new features of amigaos 4.1 final edition to the local crowd. he agreed and since hyperion wanted to keep some things exclusive for the amiga future article, it wasn't supposed to be streamed. whoops. ;) anyway i walked through the new graphics subsystem, intuition and BOOPSI updates, 3D stack updates, workbench enhancements, the new shell and console device,  performance boosts, etc., etc. from my own personal experience it's by far the best release of the amiga operating system to date and worth every penny. but folks can make up their own mind.

the next presentation that day was Epsilon who showed off amigaos 4.1 classic running under winuae. this was a great talk which walked folks through all of the setup required to get things going. i was surprised to find out how popular this was since PPC support was included in winuae beta builds, for example. alex perez was next up who talked us through linux on the amigaone X5000 beta machines. the performance looks to be really terrific, and i'm looking forward to putting linux through its paces on my beta system next month. the last presentation of the day, REBOL on amiga, wasn't possible due to a systems issue on brian deneen's SAM, unfortunately.

matthew, trevor, dave (@AmigaDave), and i had a chance to sit and talk about amiga.org briefly. more on this later, by the way. towards 5PM the party had to break up, and with samantha brantley running around, teasing some the guys on IRC, we started to pack up. for those of you watching the streams, i hope you enjoyed the presentations, but i really think the best thing about amiwest is the people. for two days you can really see how the amiga is very much alive for so many people and even how the new generation is being introduced to it. my son has access to tons of games and computers, but his favorite is M.A.C.E. on my pegasos2. my daughter prefers typing on my amiga to her mother's windows 7 machine. despite all of the in-fighting and negativity we sometimes see on the forums, amiwest reminds us that there's a bunch of us out there who really love this hobby and that development continues on the software and hardware fronts apace.

anyway -- that's my story. i'm happy to answer questions folks might have. :)

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:13:19 PM by eliyahu »

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:14 PM »
Nice report :)

Since you make a summary thread, I figure the PDFs concerning releases announced on AmiWest belongs in this thread;

http://www.a-eon.biz/PDF/News_Release_RadeonHD24.pdf

http://www.a-eon.biz/PDF/News_Release_Radiance.pdf

The collection of PDFs from AEON site;

http://www.a-eon.biz/?news=25-10-2014

And the AmiStore youtube presentation;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABMLbU8iwE
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:15:56 PM by Niding »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
Nice report.  Glad to see things moving along.

Quick question:  Will my current X1000 video driver update themselves using Ami-Update, or will I need to download the new video drivers from A-EON and install them manually?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »
@Niding

thx for keeping track of the links!

@Darrin

good question. i don't really know. my understanding is current driver owners can upgrade to version 1.2, and i think that's through the A-EON site rather than amiupdate, although i could be wrong. version 2.4 will be available through amistore. maybe matthew/trevor/hans can answer this for you definitively?

-- eliyahu

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »
Great post Eldee!  Was great seeing you again at the show.  Sorry we never found the time to chat more about fly fishing and showing you the gear I use.  But was nice to chat Amiga with you at the show.  TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
@eliyahu,

I missed the update talk regarding progress on the Libre Office port, can you enlighten me as to what was said, or shown?

Thanks for your report.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;776015
Great post Eldee!  Was great seeing you again at the show.  Sorry we never found the time to chat more about fly fishing and showing you the gear I use.  But was nice to chat Amiga with you at the show.  TJ
heh. don't worry. we'll be talking in a few months before i go on my next vacation. :)

@amigadave

basically the port is complete at this point, but there are some very tricky bugs thomas is having to hunt down. he's working on a fuller, more complete native version of GDB (the GNU debugger) for AOS4 to help him in that endeavor.

-- eliyahu

Offline Steady

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 11:56:07 PM »
Nice report eliyahu.

It's good to see some uplifting news and can't wait for the new stuff to be available. I get sick of reading all the negativity on the forums lately. I'm glad for the direction provided by Trevor/A-EON/Hyperion et al. I think the work done so far has been great by all!

Offline amigakit

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:33:34 AM »
@eliyahu

Really good detailed report, thanks for taking the time to scribe it.

@Darrin

All A-EON products are available as updates through AMIStore and the RadeonHD 1.0 driver can be updated to v1.2 shortly by authorised users through your AMISphere account login on the A-EON website.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:34:53 AM »
@ eliyahu and Amigakit

Thanks for the info.

All A-EON products are available as updates through AMIStore and the RadeonHD 1.0 driver can be updated to v1.2 shortly by authorised users through your AMISphere account login on the A-EON website.

AMISphere???  I think I'm missing something.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
AMISphere is the login name and password you were provided with your AmigaONE X1000 when you first purchased it in order to download RadeonHD and other updates. You will need this login also for AMIStore.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:04:45 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;776029
AMISphere is the login name and password you were provided with your AmigaONE X1000 when you first purchased it in order to download RadeonHD and other updates. You will need this login also for AMIStore.

Oh dear!  Hmmm..... now what did I do with that?  I never used it.  :D

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 05:00:10 AM »
Great summary!  Hopefully next year I can make it to one of these things. Not trying to start a flame war or anything else, but only out of idle curiosity, was there no MorphOS stuff there at all?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 05:04:16 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;776045
Great summary!  Hopefully next year I can make it to one of these things. Not trying to start a flame war or anything else, but only out of idle curiosity, was there no MorphOS stuff there at all?

Epsilon and AmigaDave both had systems running MorphOS on them.

In fact Epsilon had MorphOS, Aros, WinUAE, etc...

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000