Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: got my wireless card now questions  (Read 701 times)

Description:

Offline AAACHIPSETTopic starter

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
got my wireless card now questions
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:07:02 AM »
ok i guess ill begin with the  card i just got is a wireless  pcmcia  has  prism2.2  drivers  ..starting installing got asked  what is my main networks  name ssid
what is your main networks  passphrase..
what is it asking me ..?
im  hoping  to go step by step to install  the internet ..im  not a amiga newbie but only  ever had my amiga online with dial up so networking is making me a newbie all over again ..
i know about cardreset  etc  ..just wanna know this card works install its software ..then workout how to connect to the router ..then getting programs  miami prob  working ..etc.
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline pVC

Re: got my wireless card now questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;775299
ok i guess ill begin with the  card i just got is a wireless  pcmcia  has  prism2.2  drivers  ..starting installing got asked  what is my main networks  name ssid
what is your main networks  passphrase..
what is it asking me ..?

If you don't know those, I'd suggest you'd google some general information about wlan and basics how it works. Or read your router's manual or something. You can't go setup wireless networks without some kind of basic knowledge.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
The answer is, "42"

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »
Your SSID is the name of your network you log in to and the passphrase is the password you use to log in.  If you use a home network and don't know these, then the walrus and the carpenter shed a bitter tear.

Offline SteveH

• Show only replies by SteveH
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »
It may also be asking for the administration password of your router/hub. I'm not sure why it would be, though - when I set my X1000 wireless card up, I only needed to enter the SSID (name of my wifi network) and password.
All these usernames and passwords will have been provided to you by your ISP.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »
Quote from: SteveH;775309
It may also be asking for the administration password of your router/hub. I'm not sure why it would be, though - when I set my X1000 wireless card up, I only needed to enter the SSID (name of my wifi network) and password.
All these usernames and passwords will have been provided to you by your ISP.

There is never a reason a client device would need administrative access to your router.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:18 AM »
As Dan said, there is never, ever a reason for a network setup utility or TCP stack to be asking for *ANY* wifi modem/router/AP admin login credentials.

When trying to admin it, yes - and by that I mean when you go to configure the Wifi point via a web browser, you will require such info - but never for just network access.  Most decent Wifi boxes require a wired connection to config.

I don't wish to sound snarky in the least - and quite honestly, I've been following your threads on your issues with this with great interest, because I love seeing people have their "AHA!" moment while figuring out new technology.  But you perhaps might be better served by reading the manuals on the actual networking devices themselves and reading up on basic mechanics of networking and wifi in particular.  Again, no offense - but if you don't know what an SSID is, you do need to bring yourself up to speed on the basics.

Best of luck, and holler if you need any help.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
How much do you know about your Wireless LAN?
Is your wireless network secured with WEP or WPA?
Is your wireless network setup to support 802.11b devices?

Amigas don't have much bandwidth so your network, wireless or otherwise will pretty much be limited to around 10Mbps. Adding WEP encryption will slow it down some more.

There are also drawbacks to having an 802.11b (11Mbps) device on your router as with most chipsets/firmware the entire wireless (2.4GHz) network slows down to accommodate the older protocol.

What I did is I bought an old 802.11g/b wireless router on eBay and set it to 802.11b mode only. I did not use WEP or any type of security as it is a bit of a hit & miss with Amiga OS 3.x software. I secured it using MAC address access list which will only allow the network devices I enter.

Unfortunately, networking on the Amiga has never been easy, mostly because network technology keeps moving forward and the Amiga doesn't.

But once you set it up you'll never need to deal with it again. At least until the hardware fails.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
I'm reaching here, but I'm just guessing that questions about what is the SSID and paraphrase might take precedence over the questions just asked about 802.11g/b, WAN WEP, WPA, and bandwidth.

This is only my opinion, mind you.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »
Quote from: agami;775345
Amigas don't have much bandwidth so your network, wireless or otherwise will pretty much be limited to around 10Mbps. Adding WEP encryption will slow it down some more.

He won't see speeds much over 3Mb/s (400KB/s) on a PCMCIA wireless card on the Amiga.

@AAACHIPSET -
First you should add CardReset, found at http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset

Then you need to add your SSID and WEP/WPA key to your Startup-sequence (if you got no clue what this is ods are you haven't changed them and you will find them on a label on the modem/router.

So after you added CardReset you should edit your startup-sequence and near the end right before C:LoadWB you should add the following lines

C:CardReset TICKS 50
C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID "YOUR SSID HERE" KEY "your WEP/WAP key here"

Remove the quotes and write there then just save and restart. Done.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
Yep, still missing the forest because of all the trees in the way...

Offline AAACHIPSETTopic starter

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
well  so  many  responses  ..and opinions ..i did sorta work out what it was asking me ..router  info  i didnt have...so i decided to try to see if it would accept settings from my mobile broadband on my laptop ..which it did ..but im  not sure they are right ...ill work it out  ..as u all realized networking  isnt  my high point..i did check my startup sequence  already put  cardreset card patch  in there when i was playing  with a different card ..ive  worked out  everything  else on computers  just  need  to  read up on what im doing....couple  good  bits info  here  too  thanks  for  that ..
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline mechy

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »
Quote from: agami;775345
How much do you know about your Wireless LAN?
Is your wireless network secured with WEP or WPA?
Is your wireless network setup to support 802.11b devices?

There are also drawbacks to having an 802.11b (11Mbps) device on your router as with most chipsets/firmware the entire wireless (2.4GHz) network slows down to accommodate the older protocol.

What I did is I bought an old 802.11g/b wireless router on eBay and set it to 802.11b mode only. I did not use WEP or any type of security as it is a bit of a hit & miss with Amiga OS 3.x software. I secured it using MAC address access list which will only allow the network devices I enter.

Unfortunately, networking on the Amiga has never been easy, mostly because network technology keeps moving forward and the Amiga doesn't.

But once you set it up you'll never need to deal with it again. At least until the hardware fails.

i beg to differ, i can set up any network with any compatible card on the amiga is less than 5 minutes in most cases-especially with miamidx. The problem is people usually don't get compatible hardware,the right drivers,or fix the card reset bugs etc.
Rarely do they even take the time to read the docs. If you know something about networking/wireless networking it is usually straight forward. People often insist on buying cheap brand routers and hardware with buggy firmware and run into trouble. I would say 80% of the people i have helped with networking problems over the last 15+ years were because they simply were too lazy to read the docs.

Offline mechy

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;775367
well  so  many  responses  ..and opinions ..i did sorta work out what it was asking me ..router  info  i didnt have...so i decided to try to see if it would accept settings from my mobile broadband on my laptop ..which it did ..but im  not sure they are right ...ill work it out  ..as u all realized networking  isnt  my high point..i did check my startup sequence  already put  cardreset card patch  in there when i was playing  with a different card ..ive  worked out  everything  else on computers  just  need  to  read up on what im doing....couple  good  bits info  here  too  thanks  for  that ..

You will never get anywhere guessing. You need to log into your router and find out ifyou are using WEP,WPA or WPA2 .
Then get the SSID,Password etc and then add the line to the startup-sequence like SOM99 suggested above:

C:SetPrism2Defaults SSID "YOUR SSID HERE" KEY "your WEP/WPA key here"

without the quotes of course.

then you should be on your way to get everything else setup.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;775367
well so many responses ..and opinions ..i did sorta work out what it was asking me ..router info i didnt have...so i decided to try to see if it would accept settings from my mobile broadband on my laptop ..which it did ..but im not sure they are right ...ill work it out ..as u all realized networking isnt my high point..i did check my startup sequence already put cardreset card patch in there when i was playing with a different card ..ive worked out everything else on computers just need to read up on what im doing....couple good bits info here too thanks for that ..

Aah, this thread is making my head hurt.  Have you ever connected any mobile device to your WiFi Hotspot?  A laptop or phone, for example?  What's the login name you use?  And what's the password?  That's all it's asking you.  Have you ever connected to WiFi anywhere?  Starbucks?  Coffee houses?  Hotels?  You need two basic bits of information for any WiFi, anywhere.  The name of the network ("SSID") and the password to connect.  If you don't know those, then... yeah... hard to help you.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos