Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Remote shell or run commands inside WinUAE?  (Read 2604 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Remote shell or run commands inside WinUAE?
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
I thought there was a remote shell or run command for WinUAE, but I can't find it.

I know about launching a Windows app from the Amiga, but I want the opposite, run something in the Amiga side from Windows.

I want to use my Windows text editor and set up a hotkeys for actions like make, make clean, run, etc on the UAE side.

Thanks,
John

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
Re: Remote shell or run commands inside WinUAE?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
I don't know how to get WinUAE to do what you're asking, but unless your tools are only available for Amiga and refuse to run on the PC-side using Amitools, then you could cross-developing:

I use vbcc, vasm, and vlink to do all compiling, assembling, and linking on my Mac. On the Amiga side, in the emulator, I have a simple program that automatically runs the executable from a shared directory-based hard drive after each build.

In practice it means I just press Cmd+B in the editor, and a second later the program pops up in the emulator.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »
Quote from: Leffmann;772850
I don't know how to get WinUAE to do what you're asking, but unless your tools are only available for Amiga and refuse to run on the PC-side using Amitools, then you could cross-developing:

Currently I'm using SAS/C on the Amiga itself, but I'm looking into the windows version of VBCC as an option.

I haven't considered Amitools.  Is that the "vamos" thing that runs Amiga CLI apps on directly on the host OS or is it something different?

Vamos is incredibly interesting, unfortunately I don't have free time to learn Python to work on it myself.

I use vbcc, vasm, and vlink to do all compiling, assembling, and linking on my Mac. On the Amiga side, in the emulator, I have a simple program that automatically runs the executable from a shared directory-based hard drive after each build.

In practice it means I just press Cmd+B in the editor, and a second later the program pops up in the emulator.

I'm using a shared directory only for editing and revision control at the moment, but it sounds like you've already got what I'm trying to set up.

How are you communicating with the Amiga emulation to tell it to run your executable?

I've considered watching a text file of commands or something, but thought maybe there was a more elegant way to do it.

Thanks,
John

Offline Leffmann

• Show only replies by Leffmann
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:45:45 PM »
Yes, it's vamos, part of Amitools. You need to install Python to run it, but there's no need to write any Python code.

Quote from: Heiroglyph;772851
I'm using a shared directory only for editing and revision control at the moment, but it sounds like you've already got what I'm trying to set up.

How are you communicating with the Amiga emulation to tell it to run your executable?

I've considered watching a text file of commands or something, but thought maybe there was a more elegant way to do it.

My build-script creates an empty file as a trigger, and when the launcher sees the trigger it deletes it and opens a console and runs the program, or launches it as a Workbench app if there's an associated .info file.

A more elegant way to trigger the program would be to use AmigaDOS file notifications, or look at the time stamp of the file, but neither of those work reliably under WinUAE and FS-UAE when using directory-based drives.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
Quote from: Leffmann;772879
Yes, it's vamos, part of Amitools. You need to install Python to run it, but there's no need to write any Python code.

I meant that I'd love to expand on it. It looks like such a cool idea.

My build-script creates an empty file as a trigger, and when the launcher sees the trigger it deletes it and opens a console and runs the program, or launches it as a Workbench app if there's an associated .info file.

A more elegant way to trigger the program would be to use AmigaDOS file notifications, or look at the time stamp of the file, but neither of those work reliably under WinUAE and FS-UAE when using directory-based drives.

I may work out something similar then, thanks for letting me know that time stamps aren't reliable, that would have been my first plan.