Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: thunderstorm  (Read 1412 times)

Description:

Offline AAACHIPSETTopic starter

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
thunderstorm
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »
few  days  ago  we  had a couple  mad thunderstorms ..lightning thunder etc ..none  of my amiga gear was turned on or in use  at the time ...we had a power outage  for a second  which reset all the clockss and my dvd/hd  reset itself  ..but they were on and working at the time ..just went  to use my cd32 and got  nothing ..could be the power supply blown ?? ..OR can a surge damage it even though not even on ? ..my 1200  the dvd player and the couple tvs all work fine connected to same  power board ..or has the cd32 or the power pack just worn out ..no bangs  etc when i turn it on ..im thinking power pack as its not  getting hot at all ..dunno where id get a replacement ..anyway  to test the power pack ?
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing:

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
Re: thunderstorm
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
This thread may be useful if you are looking for a replacement PSU.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72505&highlight=cd32+psu

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:47 PM »
I know I might be stating the obvious, but sometimes the smallest and easiest things are overlooked.  Have you checked the fuse in the plug ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:41:41 PM »
To cause damage while turned off, the power would have to spike high enough to arc across the open switch contacts.
It's not impossible, but I suspect that you'd see damage in devices that were powered up on the same circuit long before that would happen.

Offline mechy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:02 AM »
Quote from: AAACHIPSET;771849
few  days  ago  we  had a couple  mad thunderstorms ..lightning thunder etc ..none  of my amiga gear was turned on or in use  at the time ...we had a power outage  for a second  which reset all the clockss and my dvd/hd  reset itself  ..but they were on and working at the time ..just went  to use my cd32 and got  nothing ..could be the power supply blown ?? ..OR can a surge damage it even though not even on ? ..my 1200  the dvd player and the couple tvs all work fine connected to same  power board ..or has the cd32 or the power pack just worn out ..no bangs  etc when i turn it on ..im thinking power pack as its not  getting hot at all ..dunno where id get a replacement ..anyway  to test the power pack ?

Its a  bit late,but i recommend you put your equipment on a UPS(uninterruptible power supply). Even the cheapest ones can usually prevent things like this from happening.

You could check the power supply with a multimeter to get a idea if its working. Changing it out with a known good one is easier of course.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:15:16 AM »
Quote from: mechy;771873
Its a  bit late,but i recommend you put your equipment on a UPS(uninterruptible power supply). Even the cheapest ones can usually prevent things like this from happening.

You could check the power supply with a multimeter to get a idea if its working. Changing it out with a known good one is easier of course.

I guess checking it with a multimeter or a replacement PSU being easier depends on which of those you have available, but I am guessing more people have a multimeter, than a spare CD32 PSU.

Mechy used to convert and sell some great PSU's for the A500/A600/A1200 and CD32.  I am still using one of them myself for my A600 and would highly recommend one of them, if he was still making them.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:01:35 AM »
Quote from: LyleHaze;771858
To cause damage while turned off, the power would have to spike high enough to arc across the open switch contacts.
It's not impossible, but I suspect that you'd see damage in devices that were powered up on the same circuit long before that would happen.

Mere static electricity can easily reach a high enough voltage to arc 1 cm, so I'm sure a lightening strike covering a much higher distance has the ability to jump the power switch (plus I lost a high end Sony amplifier this way that was turned off during a strike in the yard).

Offline Calimeiro

• Show only replies by Calimeiro
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;771879
Mere static electricity can easily reach a high enough voltage to arc 1 cm, so I'm sure a lightening strike covering a much higher distance has the ability to jump the power switch (plus I lost a high end Sony amplifier this way that was turned off during a strike in the yard).

I think he was talking about curcuitry and devices that were powered on when lightning strikes the power line. They would have been damaged heaviliy.

So it may are may not be a co-incident that his gear failed that time.