Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lyle Hazelwood was WRONG  (Read 3352 times)

Description:

Offline ddniUKTopic starter

• Show only replies by ddniUK
Lyle Hazelwood was WRONG
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:21:29 PM »
Lyle wants us to remind him that he was wrong :)
Great work Lyle, thanks for all your hard work!!

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=1136#

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: Lyle Hazelwood was WRONG
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
@ddniUK

nice to know work on hdaudio continues apace. oh, and i love the memes generated from the amiwest 2012 pictures, by the way. :)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
The blog is an interesting read and informative like the information on Xena/Xorro.  I'm glad to know that the hardware has interesting tidbits in there that has yet to be implemented in software; although I'm still waiting for onboard Ethernet and CF card access --  perhaps with OS4.2 :)

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
I'm happy to hear that they were able to discover the secret to making this work!

Having coded for certain ARM Peripheral hardware, as well as a few other things at the register level, documentation is not often perfect. For my ARM projects, I had the convenience at the time to look at the Verilog RTL and synthesized netlist for the chip to (very gradually) figure things out. Data fields are sometimes not even at the register address in the docs, sometimes have moved to different bit numbers on different addresses, and sometimes really just do not do what the datasheet says, in addition to the more common too vague or complete omission items.

I'm sure this was quite a challenge with only a datasheet, maybe some Linux code that works differently, and a lot of experimentation time for these guys. Congratulations on your accomplishment!
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:48 AM »
Quote from: ddniUK;769849

Hey, those are my photos (but not my subtitles).

Writing from Las Vegas,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
July 26-27 Commodore Vegas Expo v10 2014 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
Why did intel not make it backwards compatible? Just to be annoying (as is often the case)?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
I'm happy that audio competence grows !!!

(as it seems big players try to piss also on our audio parade (after making 3D and video HW support hard for us), perhaps those Amigan FPGA wizards should do our own audio chip (superPaula?) already)

Do we have USB audio working on any Amigalike yet?
Anyone had time to study RadeonHD audio out?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:18:44 PM by KimmoK »
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline psxphill

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;769905
Why did intel not make it backwards compatible? Just to be annoying (as is often the case)?

It's almost never the case, but it might appear that way.

Backward compatibility costs and asking everyone to pay extra for a sound chip when you just need a new driver is unjustifiable. In the DOS days it made sense as a large number of your customers would be unable to use your hardware, but these days it doesn't.

Often the backward compatibility would never be used, because you'd be losing out on new features and who would chose that?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »
Quote from: KimmoK;769907
I'm happy that audio competence grows !!!

(as it seems big players try to piss also on our ......... x y z,  blah blah blah

I see this kind of comment and attitude too often and wonder why, or how anyone can think that any of the so called "Big Players" would want to "piss on our" anything?

The "Big Players" don't know we exist anymore!  And even if they did know about us, they would not care to spend a dime toward writing drivers or software for a few hundred users who continue to play around with an obsolete and mostly forgotten OS running on hardware that is a decade or three behind what the rest of the world is using.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;769905

There are some real advantages to the new standard.. and they would not have been possible with AC97:

The case wiring of the old system was.. "less than ideal".. the line/headphone output was routed from the case to the front headphone jack. At the jack, audio runs though a couple normally closed contacts (open when headphones inserted) and then the audio is run from there to the normal green jack on the back panel. WHat this means is that under the best circumstances, your "line output" has run two trips through the case, and also through a pair of mechanical contacts.. this is a higher failure rate than needed, and if you don't connect the headphone jack, the line output doesn't work at all!

The same circuit on HDAudio: There are separate audio feeds for headphone out and line out.. a single contact on the headphone jack can be used to tell the driver when headphones are plugged in or not.. But it's now possible to have BOTH outputs active at the same time, and it is possible to have separate feeds to either of them, and the line out still works if the case jacks are not connected..

The old way had each card showing up in PCI space, and every card needed specific drivers. the new way has a stream of data through the southbridge that can support up to four separate cards, and they all (supposedly) can use the same driver.. Now I'll be the first to say that our current driver is not compatible with anything but the X1000 right now.. but it's a start.

I'm sure there's other changes as well.. but that's a start

Quote from: Kimmok

Do we have USB audio working on any Amigalike yet?

I have code to record and play back audio over USB.
There are a few obstacles yet to overcome, and I have other
projects as well, but there is hope for the future.:)

Offline LyleHaze

• Show only replies by LyleHaze
    • https://sites.google.com/site/takeaprogrammertolunch/
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;769913
.... running on hardware that is a decade or three behind what the rest of the world is using.

I respectfully disagree.:)

By necessity, we don't have the very latest, in part because we are such a small group. But on some specific fronts we are not all that far behind.

My current Amiga has SATA and PATA built in, along with working HDAudio.
And while my choices are mostly restricted to a single brand, my choices for a graphics card are respectable.

I don't follow the PC world closely enough to know what the "latest" graphics cards are, but I think we are a bit closer than a few decades behind.

I get to use off-the shelf monitors, keyboards, mice, power supply, and hard drives.
Memory for an X is MUCH easier to find than memory was for earlier models.

I agree that we're not "cutting edge" of the market, but especially considering that we have to write our own drivers, I'm quite impressed with where we are today.

Not bad.. and I don't miss the 23 pin monitor port at all. :)

Offline jaokim

• Show only replies by jaokim
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;769913
running on hardware that is a decade or three behind what the rest of the world is using.

I respectfully disagree. ;)

I'd say we're ahead the rest of the world; I mean show me one other motherboard with an in-built XMOS! :)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »
Quote from: jaokim;769922
I'd say we're ahead the rest of the world; I mean show me one other motherboard with an in-built XMOS! :)

Most motherboards have low power cpu's on them, they just don't make them available for the end user.

Of course making it available for the end user and being used for something are two different things. Would you notice if the XMOS wasn't on the motherboard?

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
@ amigadave

My X1000 has a newer/better video card in it then my 3 year old PC. Yes I know we don't have full 3D to get the cards full benefit YET but we'll get there.

My X1000 has 4GB of ram and my 3 year old PC has 2GB. Yes I know we can't exactly access the full 4GB of ram YET but we'll get there.

I had to buy office 2013 for work and it's the biggest piece of buggy crap ever! Yes even the thousands of developers working on it & still headaches and down time messing up my time! Worst part is they're not paying me to be a beta tester lol
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;769953
@ amigadave

My X1000 has a newer/better video card in it then my 3 year old PC. Yes I know we don't have full 3D to get the cards full benefit YET but we'll get there.

My X1000 has 4GB of ram and my 3 year old PC has 2GB. Yes I know we can't exactly access the full 4GB of ram YET but we'll get there.

I had to buy office 2013 for work and it's the biggest piece of buggy crap ever! Yes even the thousands of developers working on it & still headaches and down time messing up my time! Worst part is they're not paying me to be a beta tester lol

Really I have used office 2013 a lot and not had any issues.  Same for Office 2010 .  2013 easily best office software I have used by a country mile
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"