Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Payback Amiga vs Mac vs GBA.  (Read 2457 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Payback Amiga vs Mac vs GBA.
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:32 AM »
I just realized that Payback was released for the 68k Mac. How does it compare to the Amiga release? I'd be very curious to know from someone who has ran both. Also has anyone ran Payback on a real GBA? How well did that turn out? I've only been able to run it via emulation as I don't have a GBA let alone a GBA flash cart.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline LaserBack

• Show only replies by LaserBack
Re: Payback Amiga vs Mac vs GBA.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:03:17 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;763124
I just realized that Payback was released for the 68k Mac. How does it compare to the Amiga release? I'd be very curious to know from someone who has ran both. Also has anyone ran Payback on a real GBA? How well did that turn out? I've only been able to run it via emulation as I don't have a GBA let alone a GBA flash cart.

all versions are horrible, payback is total crap

Offline utri007

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:48:18 AM »
Quote from: LaserBack;763125
all versions are horrible, payback is total crap

Payback is very good game. I haven't seen Gameboy / Apple version of it.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Macintosh garden has it as Mac PPC. http://macintoshgarden.org/games/payback
Where did you find the 68k reference?

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
Quote from: ddniUK;763134
Macintosh garden has it as Mac PPC. http://macintoshgarden.org/games/payback
Where did you find the 68k reference?

It was an assumption, didn't realize it was PPC. Still though... how do they compare?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
It's mac PPC not 68K.

haven't ran the Amiga version on a  high spec Amiga so I do not know how it looks on anything other then AGA.

As I have played all on original systems ill say Mac PPC then Amiga and last GBA.

The Mac version has a lot of eye candy and runs fine on 1GHz~ PPC macs (ive played most on my Mac mini 1,42GHz and there it runs 100% perfect).

The Amiga version as I said id not as good looking as the PPC Mac version but what could be expected based on what hardware it is supposed to run on. Tho the minimal requirements for Payback on Amiga is pure crap it's no where near runable on a 50MHz 030 and AGA tops about 3 FPS and it's said to work on a 020 and AGA.

Tho there is a PPC build of Payback for Amiga and since I don't own a PPC accelerator card I can't say anything about that, might be more similar to the PPC Mac version (if using a 3D card).

Some day I will try to get Payback running on both my MorphOS and AOS4.x machines.

The GBA version is not as good but that's easy to understand looking at it's specs and 240×160
 display but the Amiga version under AGA and with a decent CPU beats the crap out of the GBA version.

Summary, Fastest system looks best and it scales down as the systems are less powerful.

I have not tried the iOS version at all since I do not and never will own any ipod/iphones.

Edit: Payback is the only reason at all I dual boot my Mac mini between MorphOS and OSX.

EDIT: I own original version of payback for Amiga, Mac and I have the GBA cartridge.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:54:57 PM by som99 »

Offline Dwyloc

• Show only replies by Dwyloc
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
@som99
I have not played the Mac version, but from the screen shots it looks the same as the PPC / Graphics cards version on the Amiga that played very well on My BllizzardPPC 060/200 with my Blizzard vision graphics cards back in the day.

The game was also a lot of fun which is not something that can be said for all the last games that clammed to take full advantage of an Expanded Amiga back in the day.

Today the Amiga version is probably best played with a fast PC under WinUAE unless you have an 060/PPC cards and graphics card in your Amiga.  As second hand they are just not worth the asking price any longer in my personal opinion.  I would much rather spend the money or less on a FPGA based Amiga Clone.
Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1
Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
Amiga 1200 Eyetech mk4 Tower, Blizzard 1240 040/40 32MB Fast ram, IDEFix Express mk2, mediatorSX pci, Voodoo3 PCI, PCI network card, OS3.9 BB2.

Offline Vanilla

• Show only replies by Vanilla
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
I played Payback, or rather the demo, on my A1200/030 and it played fine. This was of course the top view.

I never tried 3d view as I was told it was on 68K but I never saw a 68K Payback with 3d. Not in the demo anyway.

The only Payback I saw with 3d was the PPC version. It was the only one I knew of. When I got OS4 on my A1 tried it out and it ran really well. Except it had no sound which was unfortunate, due to some bizarre hybrid Amiga programming in those days where the OS was used for graphics and sound was hardware banged. I tried the NullePUH hack but it just crashed so was useless.

I also had a PPC Mac before my A1 and tried the Mac demo on that as well. It was like having a PPC Amiga! It looked so close the the Amiga version. Except 3d worked and worked well. And it had sound! :-D

Perhaps OpenGL over WarpOS gives the Mac version the edge. After all Payback was written as an Amiga game where a lot of effort had to go in to generate 3d and that sort of thing, We didn't have any fancy features like hardware acceleration. Not without proper drivers anyway.

So which is better? I think the Mac version, because it has sound! If Payback PPC supported AHI (any patches?) it would be a good Amiga game to play on the A1.I did enjoy it. :-)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 04:08:52 PM by Vanilla »
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:05:03 AM »
The Mac version is identical to the Amiga (PPC) version. The only difference is that it has more powerful hardware to run on, so the higher resolution makes it look better.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:05 AM »
Great game if a person has the hardware to run it.
As of update 7 it introduces 3d hardware acceleration for both 68k and ppc. Along with that it adds things like screen rotation. It really is quite different a game depending on updates applied and a persons hardware. PPC versions adds next to nothing apart from a little speed. Mac version is very similar, only it started out life as already having updates applied. Main difference is it doesnt suffer from the blur-o-vision that plagues ppc amiga systems versions of gl.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
-editted double post-
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:24:35 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:41 AM »
I can run the demo 68k AGA version on my 80Mhz 060 and it runs very nicely too (obviously the resolution is low).   The biggest problem I have with this game is the control method, when I use a joystick I can't get the little bugger to go where I want so far the best way I've found is to use the keyboard which isn't a great solution really.

I was thinking about buying the full game a few months ago but I don't think you can buy it any more can you?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:22:23 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 01:27:49 AM »
@ NovaCoder

It took me a little while to adjust to it, but I find a CD32 pad is the best way to control the game. A traditional joystick or 2-button joypad would probably be tough to deal with.

You can still get the game from Alinea.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
Ops guys forgot I also have Payback on my GP2X, haven't fired it up in ages but it looked good on that system :)

Also Thanks for clarifying that the Amiga PPC and Mac versions look the same besides resolution.

Quote from: Vanilla;763147
I played Payback, or rather the demo, on my A1200/030 and it played fine. This was of course the top view.

I never tried 3d view as I was told it was on 68K but I never saw a 68K Payback with 3d. Not n the demo anyway.

Please explain what you mean by 3D and 2D view, as far as ive seen there is only top view on all versions?

Also I don't understand how you was able to play it on a 030, do the 7 patches do that much really so it's playable on a 030 AGA machine? Ive made posts on this topic in the past and not a single person said it was playable on a 030 and I have never got it near playable at all on a 030.

Tho ive only tried the retail full version never the Demo, ill fire up a 030 and try the demo this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:16:29 PM by som99 »