Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A new Amiga portable console with new custom chipset.  (Read 5204 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
A new Amiga portable console with new custom chipset.
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:52:37 AM »
I know to many this may seem like a far fetched and silly project, but I am trying here. I think it would be super cool to have a portable Amiga console with new custom chipset that provide equal quality graphics as say of PS 2/PS 1 with 1 GB of CHIP RAM and fast processor speed and custom workbench OS and kickstart with backward capabilities of AGA/ECS/OCS. It also allows you to run directly Amiga classic software and application into the portable console.  More about it over here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/amiga-portable-console/x/6382309

If you guys think this is a super cool idea and think it is worth it, then you can proof it by donating to this project. If you guys believe it is a waste of time and there many reasons why this wouldn't work I love to hear it also.

I think myself it would be super cool to have a new portable console that is 68k Amiga with it's own new build in custom chipset, have WiFi, browse the net, able to use youtube and have new games developed for it and also allows you to play the old Amiga games and apps without emulator.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: A new Amiga portable console with new custom chipset.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:37:25 AM »
What you really want to do is put UAE emulator on some real hardware. Most of that would be programming.
Instead of booting into the OS, you boot into UAE and configure the speed and chips first. Then boot into Workbench (or game).
You could pick an ARM chip to run the emulator side, and not worry about a non-existent 233mhz 68k core.

Approx what size will it be?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:02 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;762636
What you really want to do is put UAE emulator on some real hardware. Most of that would be programming.
Instead of booting into the OS, you boot into UAE and configure the speed and chips first. Then boot into Workbench (or game).
You could pick an ARM chip to run the emulator side, and not worry about a non-existent 233mhz 68k core.

Approx what size will it be?

I was thinking of along the line everything real not emulated. Maybe the UAE side will be customized not to feel emulated and it will be part of the OS and that is the one which would be running classical Amiga. But my real intention that the original Workbench 3.1, kick31.rom part the actual classical Amiga software and OS and kickstart would take advantage of the new hardware advantage such as the new real custom chipset AGA-II, the 1 GB CHIP RAM, etc. It would be like the new Amiga 8000 for example but in a portable console.

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
I think you are shooting for too low of audio quality speccing a 32-bit Paula chip, why not just go 64 or 128 bit ... should be plenty of money in that $20,000 budget to afford useful features like that right? :rofl:

Offline Djole

• Show only replies by Djole
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
With 20k you wouldn't even be able to design one custom chip. Btw. nice drawing :rofl:
A1200 030
A1200 stock
A600 Vampire v2

VOLIM TE REPUBLIKO SRPSKA!
[/B][/COLOR]

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:53:45 AM »
It would have been great, if you had done some more work, than just an image in paint.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »
btw. Why don't you install Oracle Virtual Box. You can fiddle with an OS all you want without breaking anything.
I'm setting myself to make an extra lean XP install. I've read more bad things about Windows 8 and want to stay well clear of it.
We do have powerful hardware nowadays that you are fully locked away from by horrible operating systems.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:40:21 AM »
Nice idea, but real products don't come from MS Paint drawings and dreams.

Look at the time that has been put into products like the FPGA Arcade to even get compatibility with AGA in hardware.  This is being done by many people who are effectively doing the dev work for free because they love the platform.

Is there a market for a version of the FPGA Arcade that connects to a LCD and is housed in a PSP-style casing? Maybe, but I think that potential customers of this would just buy an existing handheld console that supports UAE (GP2X, etc, do IIRC).

That IndieGogo project is going to stay at $0ยท00.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »

WOW, based on this design I'm in! :rofl:

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
Id rather someone came up with an affordable  PPC motherboard capable of running AmigaOS4. All of the current ones are pretty dated now, and fairly expensize. the new AmigaONE is lovely and all that but so far out of the range of  my disposable income that I cant consider it.

Nick

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:34 PM »
Quote from: polyp2000;762671
Id rather someone came up with an affordable  PPC motherboard capable of running AmigaOS4. All of the current ones are pretty dated now, and fairly expensize. the new AmigaONE is lovely and all that but so far out of the range of  my disposable income that I cant consider it.

Nick

Yes, what happened to the limePC (or some netbook) that was supposed to get os4 support? That would be a better plan.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
The Limebook was a nice idea, but it had one major drawback:
the makers of it stopped making it.

That tends to be a pretty major flaw. :)

The initial investment required to restart production would have been huge, and the resulting price point too high for its specs.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Yes I would also much rather see a new and cheap(ish) ppc mobo.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
How does this end up in the news section? Is there no screening process or are all the moderators idiots?

Offline spirantho

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
I suspect the idea was that the news was the indie-go-go bounty being started.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!