Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SupraDrive Wordsync A2000 help!  (Read 2131 times)

Description:

Offline Fireb0yTopic starter

• Show only replies by Fireb0y
SupraDrive Wordsync A2000 help!
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
Hi!

Let me explain the situation: A few weeks ago, i received an A2000 between any other Amigas gifted by a friend(2*A600, 1*A1200, 1*A500, etc...). The Amiga 2000 was gifted as "not working anymore", so i tested it with a 1084S (gifted on the same pack) :)

Opening the case for viewing the contents, i found 2 cards: One Supradrive wordsync SCSI controller, and a Dataflyer RAM upgrade.

As the Amiga does not boot, i removed the power supply and found that the RTC battery was leaking the motherboard, affecting the CPU socket. That will not be a problem, in this forum i found another thread with the same problem solved. So i get my soldering iron and beginned unsoldering the bad (and now empty)battery. Just cleaned the mess, and carefully remove the M68000. And i stated that one pin was bent towards inside the socket, the D10 one, as the datasheet says. So i looked for info about this bent pin, but no results. The leg of the pin was not cutted at all, only bent, so i suspect that will be a wrong insertion problem.

Carefully unbent the pin to its original position, remove all cards on the board, and power on. Et Voila! It lives again! So i decided to go further with my tests.

PowerOff, insert the RAM card, power on. Ok, works, and the memory was added to the system(WB says 2 Mb FAST and 512K Chip), but it lacks 512K more... So i revised all jumpers and his positions. I stated that the extra 512K jumper (J500)was open, so it was disabled. Closed, test, ok, 2.5 Mb Fast.

And there is when i tested Supra SCSI controller. When i put on the system, no matter the slot, the computer doesn't boot, only shows a white screen. It has a 80 Mb SCSI Conner drive, that resets continuously when powered on. I have tested on a little power supply(i don't have any other SCSI controller at home), and the drive spins on sucessfully, so i suspect the Supra is wrong at any point.

With or without HD, the A2000 does not boot with the Supradrive connected, and then i noticed this: In the lower right of the card(as seen with Zorro connector down and seeing the chips side), there is a power connector, like the ones on the floppy drives. The connector says "P4" , and a voltage on the pins(from up to down: +5, GND,-12,+12), as i have tested with a multimeter.

After this megapost, the question is:

This power connector is for putting some more power on the card? What is intended for? There is an adaptor to the main power supply or anything else? I guess that will be output for giving power to something, or the opposite side: it's for adding some more power to start the card, given from the main power supply with an adaptor.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: SupraDrive Wordsync A2000 help!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:03:41 AM »
The power connector on Amiga hard cards is for powering a drive, which could be mounted directly on the card.  I suggest you look up this card in the Amiga hardware database or Big Book of Amiga Hardware to learn more about it.

http://amiga.resource.cx/

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 05:05:28 AM »
Also an A2000 should have 1MB of memory on the motherboard.  It can be configured (depending on the revision of board) to either 1MB of chip, or 512K chip/512K fast.  I strongly recommend making the modifications to give it 1MB chip.  You may need to move some jumpers or solder some pads, again - depends on the revision of the board.  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;762479
Also an A2000 should have 1MB of memory on the motherboard.  It can be configured (depending on the revision of board) to either 1MB of chip, or 512K chip/512K fast.  I strongly recommend making the modifications to give it 1MB chip.  You may need to move some jumpers or solder some pads, again - depends on the revision of the board.  :)

That depends on the revision.  My very first A2000 had 512MB on the motherboard and 512MB on a Zorro RAM card.  I believe this was one of the original German made OCS models.  When it died I took the Zorro RAM card out of it and added it to my A1500 replacement.  :)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:04:11 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;762478
The power connector on Amiga hard cards is for powering a drive, which could be mounted directly on the card.  I suggest you look up this card in the Amiga hardware database or Big Book of Amiga Hardware to learn more about it.

http://amiga.resource.cx/

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/

Thanks for the reply! But if I connect some drive there, i think that not will be safe(the power connector on the hard disk has +5, GND, GND on central pins and after +12V), so the -12V measured on third pin will make a disaster on the drive, it isn't? Or at least, a shorcircuit with the ground pin that will damage the card, motherboard or the drive itself.

My motherboard is rev 6(do not know exactly the model, think 6.2 or 6.3 by the green barrel battery), do i need(apart from the jumpers J500 and J101) make any other modification on the board?

Thanks a lot for your reply,

Regards!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »
Hi!  AFAIK all Rev. 6 motherboards should have shipped with 1MB chip configured as default.  I'd re-check your jumper settings.  If you remove the ram card and boot up, how much memory is it showing then?

Also I encourage you to read the articles for your particular hard card.  All of the Amiga hard cards I'm familiar with have a power connector for powering a drive directly from your card, like this:

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
I have searched, and also get some from this:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=supra&company=#wordsync

And

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1247

In the manual , here: http://amiga.resource.cx/manual/SupraDrive_Addendum.pdf

It says about some Amiga power cable to an "extender", but i think that refers to a HDD power cable extender. As the pins on the connector show voltages, i don't think its intended for giving power to the drive that can be attached to the card, because the manual and sites says that :furious: power supply on the drive goes from Amiga main power supply. So i guess that will be an input connector or else, but without anybody that has really own and tested the card i don't want to make a mess on this.:hammer:

Thanks a lot to anybody for your reply!

Regards

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:29 PM »
Hi again!

Ok, somebody from my FB says to me, that connector IS NOT for powering any drive, because the own manual says that the power of the drive is from a HD molex, from the main power supply, not the card. He didn't remember exactly if there was an adapter for the mobo power socket to this card.

Before toasting something, i will keep up the card on a box and look for any other hard drive solution ;)

Thanks a lot to everybody for your replies and help, and sorry for my bad english :razz:

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »
I would recommend a GVP hard card or a Commodore A2091.  Both are reliable, well-supported, and expandable.  I have a spare GVP one for sale, but as I'm in the states and you're not (I'm assuming) you'd probably do better to find one locally on ebay or Amibay.  International shipping is insane.  :(

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;762598
I would recommend a GVP hard card or a Commodore A2091.  Both are reliable, well-supported, and expandable.  I have a spare GVP one for sale, but as I'm in the states and you're not (I'm assuming) you'd probably do better to find one locally on ebay or Amibay.  International shipping is insane.  :(

Thanks a lot for your offer Oldsmobile, and yes, i'm Spanish ;)
So sending here will be more expensive that the card itself. I will contact some european(or spanish also) seller for that models, to see what it's affordable now for me(or maybe on a while, at this moment i'm very poor XD)

Thanks again!

Regards.

Offline amiman99

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »
I have the same card and they are correct that P4 is NOT for HD power.

Did you try to move AUTO jumper to NO position?
Mine for some reason, can not AUTOBOOT, it only works when booted from floppy disk first.
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;762624
I have the same card and they are correct that P4 is NOT for HD power.

Did you try to move AUTO jumper to NO position?
Mine for some reason, can not AUTOBOOT, it only works when booted from floppy disk first.

Tomorrow will test it, because we begin here 5 days of holidays...

Thanks a lot!

Regards

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
Well, I have tested the autoboot jumper to OFF and the Ami boots up with the card inserted, Thanks Amiman99! :hooray: :D

But as the SCSI 80 Mb drive it's sooo slow to boot, i cannot see the partitions inside. Also, i haven't the original installing disks(but i have downloaded them in DMS format from amiga.resource)

Next step, juggling with the floppys to partition and format the drive, and then fill with all my mods, iff's, and such dirty things :laughing:

And i have tested to have 1 Mb Chip, but without sucess. Changing the settings of the jumper J101 to 2/3 pin doesn't let the system boot. And I have 8372A "Fat Lady" Chip :angry:

Better than nothing, 512K of chip/4.5 Mb of Fast is enough for now!

Thanks to everybody and will keep you informed of any progress!

Regards

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »
See if this thread helps you any with regards to your chip ram situation:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5614

It may be that you've got some kind of battery damage or a bad chip or something else going on, however, that could be affecting that as well.  Good news about the controller, watch for loading that old hard drive up with too much stuff though, hate for you to load all your files on it then have it crash!  (pro-tip: make a backup, lol).  :D

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »
Well, the fun has begun with hard disks :laughing:

I just tested the 80 Mb Conner SCSI drive, and yes, without autoboot the system runs, but when i boot some of the SCSI disk utilities(Supraboot, Supratools) the drive goes spinning continuously, like rebooting constantly. When the card tries to access the drive, it begins again to rebooting(the drive only, not the entire Amiga). That makes lock the amiga but if i let the drive spin off and on about 20 times or so, it unlocks.

I supposed that may be the 80 Mb Conner was faulty, so i'm doing tests now with a 4 Gb Seagate, without the re-spinning noise, but looking for all the addresses and units takes about 15 min.

I'm using a slightly modified Install Disk from Wb 3.1, I changed the SCSI.device TOOLTYPE to suprascsi.device(and also copied the file from the Supra disks to /DEVS on the WB install disk) at HDTOOLBOX Icon.

I can't by now test the drives on any other computer, but i will look out for a PC SCSI card from a friend for testing purposes.

Thanks Oldsmobile, but i've tried and perhaps my A2000 has any wrong by the leaked battery acid, but... it boots, and also games or anything that i've tested it's working(speaking of software, ofcourse :lol: )

Regards!