Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MiniMig+  (Read 5794 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

MiniMig+
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
Amiga-news.de is reporting on an enhanced version of the MiniMig.

I wasn't terribly excited about the original MiniMig. It's of course an incredible technical achievement and milestone, and it has my infinite praise for that reason, but the fact that it replicated pretty much a stock A500 meant that I wasn't lining up to buy one.

THIS one, however, interests me greatly! I guess I missed/forgot the news on it when it was first announced. 030-comparable performance, plenty of RAM (chip and fast), modern ports, possibility of AGA - now we are talking! I just hope it's a standard form factor or they release a case for it.

Can't wait to buy!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
Re: MiniMig+
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;761992
Amiga-news.de is reporting on an enhanced version of the MiniMig.

I wasn't terribly excited about the original MiniMig. It's of course an incredible technical achievement and milestone, and it has my infinite praise for that reason, but the fact that it replicated pretty much a stock A500 meant that I wasn't lining up to buy one.

THIS one, however, interests me greatly! I guess I missed/forgot the news on it when it was first announced. 030-comparable performance, plenty of RAM (chip and fast), modern ports, possibility of AGA - now we are talking! I just hope it's a standard form factor or they release a case for it.

Can't wait to buy!

Honestly I am not looking for AGA. I am looking for SAGA instead. New complete custom chipset all together...forcing AmiBlitz to update their engine to meet the new SAGA commands for example. Better, faster bandwidth for a starter, support 32 bit colors with no degradation of speed and regardless of the amount of sprite and size is a good start.

How about have a 3D custom chipset that compete with PS3 graphics....that is a beginning of enticing me to sell my A4000D for this "MiniMag+".  But if you are telling me it is the good old AGA with more CHIP RAM even if it is 1 GB CHIP RAM is nice...but I am ok with what I have.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »
That would require a dedicated GPU, not the current FPGA.  If you are looking for that kind on Amiga power, it exists in an AmigaNG

Offline Honkybear

• Show only replies by Honkybear
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
I'm right there with you Matt I chopping at the bit like a dog a Rabid dog. I think it will bring new life to the Amiga especially with the daughter board. It's a cheap entry level for an AGA machine and in a compact foot print. I think it may bring other Amiga enthusiasts back to the scene. Like you I overlooked the 1st Minimig for the same reason. It will be exciting to see what happens!!!!
A600 ,ECS, ACA620EC ,A604
Mini MAC 1.42Ghz Morphos 3.3

Offline curtis

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:42:49 AM »
And reading the press announcement a little closer, it says "the project will not be ready in the near future."

At least they're honest about it.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
I wouldn't call the Minimig a "stock A500".  Mine has a 68000 at almost 50MHz, 3.5MB RAM, 4 "floppies", 2 Hard Drives and a Scan Doubler.  You could say it has a PS-2 keyboard and mouse adapter too.  ;)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:18 AM »
Sounds good :)

The MinMig is great because it actually exists and works which is quite rare in the Amiga scene.

I'm was never that interest in it but an enhanced version with AGA support would be a lot more interesting, especially if someone can start 3D printing miniature Classic cases for them (I'm looking at you AmigaKit)

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;762010

The MinMig is great because it actually exists and works which is quite rare in the Amiga scene.

I'm was never that interest in it but an enhanced version with AGA support would be a lot more interesting, especially if someone can start 3D printing miniature Classic cases for them (I'm looking at you AmigaKit)

Yeah, lack of AGA is a pain.  Mind you, that's what my FPGA Arcade is for.

Still, for 95% of your gaming needs the Minimig does the job.  It is certainly robust and had never given me an issue.  Always buy the 4MB version if you can.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:42 AM »
FPGA Arcade is only for developers so far and the AGA source are still not released. So no go.

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 12:51:18 PM »
hmm the red flag for me is that Dragonball Super VZ is end of lifed. Im not sure freescale produce them anymore.
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;762010

Has been taken care of already by some member of comunity:
http://amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2014-04-00008-DE.html

Offline psxphill

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;761993
How about have a 3D custom chipset that compete with PS3 graphics....that is a beginning of enticing me to sell my A4000D for this "MiniMag+". But if you are telling me it is the good old AGA with more CHIP RAM even if it is 1 GB CHIP RAM is nice...but I am ok with what I have.

I think you have unrealistic expectations, even PS2 graphics would make your A4000 cry.

I'd settle for PS1 graphics without requiring a mortgage. It would at least be doable and would make some software possible that wasn't before.

It would just need 15 bit rgb chunky output and some new blitter modes.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:34:53 PM by psxphill »

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
Instead of having SAGA why don't we start porting old games to 24-bit compatibilty?
What would be involved with that?

How many actual games would take advantage of chunky mode?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;762052
I think you have unrealistic expectations, even PS2 graphics would make your A4000 cry.

I'd settle for PS1 graphics without requiring a mortgage. It would at least be doable and would make some software possible that wasn't before.

It would just need 15 bit rgb chunky output and some new blitter modes.

I thought at 2014 I have realistic expectation.

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;762009
I wouldn't call the Minimig a "stock A500".  Mine has a 68000 at almost 50MHz, 3.5MB RAM, 4 "floppies", 2 Hard Drives and a Scan Doubler.  You could say it has a PS-2 keyboard and mouse adapter too.  ;)

Heh, fair enough, although those features weren't part of the first Minimigs. I'm looking forward to the extra RAM on the Minimig+ for some basic audio and image processing, as well as a comfortably-sized RAM disk workspace. With the Ethernet, it'll also be sufficient for some basic web browsing - enough to grab some files from Aminet, at least. Having just tried to do this on my 6MB 030 A2000, I can tell you it's a little difficult ;)

We may finally have a true "luggable" Amiga that can handle (almost) any modern display and input devices :)

Now if someone can find/build a case for it with an integrated display...