Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 hardware error?  (Read 502 times)

Description:

Offline Dolbyac3Topic starter

• Show only replies by Dolbyac3
A1200 hardware error?
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
I have a Amiga 1200 that suddenly just died while it was on.

the power led flashes 7 times, 6 short and 1 long. have been google`ed that and found out it could be the battery, have changed the battery, but still the same flashing.

the original batter did not have any signs of leaks og looked just fine.

does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

Kind regards

Tor

Offline Rob

Re: A1200 hardware error?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »
The only battery in an A1200 would be on a clock module expansion or accelerator/ram board.  I haven't heard of any such issues but removing these and seeing if the system initialises is the first thing you should try.

Offline paul1981

Re: A1200 hardware error?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »
Quote from: Dolbyac3;761028
I have a Amiga 1200 that suddenly just died while it was on.

the power led flashes 7 times, 6 short and 1 long. have been google`ed that and found out it could be the battery, have changed the battery, but still the same flashing.

the original batter did not have any signs of leaks og looked just fine.

does anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

Kind regards

Tor

Have you tried a different PSU at all yet?

First of all see if the computer works without the ram card inserted. If it does, then you could try removing the trapdoor ram card (which presumably also contains your clock/battery) and cleaning BOTH sides of the copper motherboard connections with isopropyl alcohol or WD-40 (don't spray anything...always apply with a cloth or a cotton wool bud etc. then re-insert the ram card and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, you may have bad capacitors. Amigakit offer a capacitor replacement service here in the UK, and they also sell the capacitors required as well in a kit.

One more thing you could try, is to check the seating of the rom chips... make sure they're firmly pressed into their sockets. Might be a good idea to prise them out just a little teeny bit (I use a large flatblade screwdriver for that) just enough to press them back in again... this will re-make the rom chip contacts.