Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AEROS for Pi beta6 "High-definition" public release  (Read 3459 times)

Description:

phoenixkonsole

AEROS for Pi beta6 "High-definition" public release
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »

A video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCLjLccU2To&feature=player_embedded

Registered users can now download beta6.
In roughly 3 hours unregistered users can too (still uploading).
The free "public" version can be found later on http://www.aeros-os.org public sub-page

What is new in beta6:
- made alias "omxplayer" under AROS. If you put videos into the video-folder you can run them from any place with "omxplayer nameofvideo" from AROS shell
it supports full HD-Playback through GPU (some additional codecs can be purchased from pi-store)
- Linux-Filesystem is now accessible thanks to deadwood fix
- I have added Home: and Media: to Wanderer
- Updated AROS and Linux systemfiles
- Added some icons for Synaptic and File-manager (looks like IndieGO!-Marketplace icon but it just launches Synaptic ; )
- Added Pi-store-icon
- Added UAE4all (untested, experimental)
- If you click double a video file in Linux file manager, it will be played through omxplayer

I wish you merry christmas

http://www.aeros-os.org

Downloads will be safe from 19:30 german time.

Known bugs:
Icons on wanderer are placed wrong (autoclean or resorting is needed every time you boot up)

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
Re: AEROS for Pi beta6 "High-definition" public release
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
I briefly read the page..

So..the public x86 beta6 version has this "JanusUAE" built in and I can click on Amiga apps/games and they should work?

UAE4All is a standalone executable, correct?

If yes to both..that is pretty interesting.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Dwyloc

• Show only replies by Dwyloc
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;755128
I briefly read the page..

So..the public x86 beta6 version has this "JanusUAE" built in and I can click on Amiga apps/games and they should work?

UAE4All is a standalone executable, correct?

I think you need to read the headline again AEROS is for the Raspberry Pi and is ARM based not x86. :-)

But other than that yes it should run amiga game adf's but I think you need to supply your own kickstart rom image along with the adf games you want to play.
Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1
Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
Amiga 1200 Eyetech mk4 Tower, Blizzard 1240 040/40 32MB Fast ram, IDEFix Express mk2, mediatorSX pci, Voodoo3 PCI, PCI network card, OS3.9 BB2.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
I knew that was for the Pi...I just thought a beta6 x86 version was going to be released also.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
Hi,

AEROS for x86 is available as r3.5, so no beta and it includes janusuae as well as Aros vision (68k distribution).

It is old and an update (r4) is planned to be released together with the indiego-marketplace. Also it will no more be bounded to a special configuration (AresOne) but should work on any pc from 2003 or newer.

On pi i plan to offer an option to boot straight in4o uae4all without x11. It needs original roms in the moment

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 12:41:39 AM »
Links are offline or need to donate or buy something?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:44:54 AM by kickstart »
a1200 060

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »
Hi,
Public page
http://aeros-os.org/styled-11/index.html

If you like to try out the registered version you could for example donate to the odyssey bounty on http://www.power2people.org

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »
For awhile now, I've wanted to buy a rasperry pi and a case for it... Knowing this is available sure makes me wanna do that more.

I hear linux is slow, how is this as far as snappiness and responsiveness?

I'm off to find some youtube vids of raspberry pi AROS...

Steven

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »
Scrolling and "resizing" windows is slow. Everything else is ok.
Videos are made with stock clock @700MHZ and a slow 4GB SD-Card.
You can use the icon "raspi-config" to over clock the Pi up to 1GHZ (i suggest a passive cooler at this point  ; ) ).

Video about beta 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmUxs-fjQ8k

You can use the mouse-wheel to minimize a linux-app-window to its title-bar. This way it can be moved without lag as shown in the video.

Offline Dwyloc

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;755396
For awhile now, I've wanted to buy a rasperry pi and a case for it... Knowing this is available sure makes me wanna do that more.

I hear linux is slow, how is this as far as snappiness and responsiveness?

I'm off to find some youtube vids of raspberry pi AROS...

Steven

If you run AROS hosted directly from the console rather than running if from x-windows it make  it a lot snappier and fix's most of the slow scrolling and windows move/resize issues.
The only downside is you can no longer run x11 applications at the same time under AROS.
Amiga 1200 Eyetech mk4 Tower, Blizzard 1240 040/40 32MB Fast ram, IDEFix Express mk2, mediatorSX pci, Voodoo3 PCI, PCI network card, OS3.9 BB2.

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
Yep which is exactly the bonus if you run AROS hosted ; )
So without the possibility to run Linux apps i would prefer AROS native.
As soon (if ever) Wayland is ready (people say it will be in january/february because it was targeted for late 2013) X11 will benefit too. There will be a X11/Wayland-wrapper called XWayland.

EDIT:
on the other hand.. if people run at 1GHZ, mine is only 70% as fast (=700MHZ). So Overclocking may help too.
Also i can't remember that i have used ii the Pentium 200 times any resolution higher than 1024x768 on my CRT : )
So maybe something lower than 1080p may help too ; )
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:51:34 PM by phoenixkonsole »

Offline Dwyloc

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
@phoenixkonsole

Is the lha command available in AEROS? as I cant seem to find it and I am having trouble extracting and running the development test version of DOPUS5 for arm.  At the moment I have extracted the archive with the linux version of lha (lhasa) but no matter were I but the dopus5.library it can't find it on startup, so I would like to make sure I am extracting the file correctly and would rather use the AROS version of lha but I cant seem to find it :-)

Trying to extract the file with DOPUS4 also results in an lha not found error and I would also like to fix that as well as for me DOPUS4 and 5 are the killer apps that make AROS on ARM make sense, but I understand they may not be as important to other AEROS users.

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
Not at home rigtht now. I agree that lha is important.
Could you please check if it is available under Extras:Misc/Aminet/C/  ? If yes i will add it to c next time.

Offline Dwyloc

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Quote from: phoenixkonsole;755621
Not at home rigtht now. I agree that lha is important.
Could you please check if it is available under Extras:Misc/Aminet/C/  ? If yes i will add it to c next time.
Thanks.

Yes its in there along with a number other AROS command line archive tools.

Adding it to c: or adding Extras:Misc/Aminet/c/ to the path if that's were it is normally in AROS builds would be very helpful.

I am really beginning to quite enjoy AEROS os on my Pi is just getting to the stage were it really feels like its adding something useful the the desktop experience rather than just being a slightly snappier way of lunching linux apps.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:43:44 PM by Dwyloc »

phoenixkonsole

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
Ok will change that.
Just a sidenote:
This is the place where all other aros builds keep those tools. On x86 distros we had to keep an eye to that.
Pure nightlies have them under extras:misc/aminet/c

Thanks for your feedback, helps a lot.