Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regarding the naming of new A-eon systems  (Read 10885 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Regarding the naming of new A-eon systems
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:38:58 AM »
The future systems from A-eon will not have the "X" prefix, but an "A" prefix, followed by numbers, like A1500, A2000, A3000, A4000, A5000, A4000/20, A4000/40, A5000/20, A5000/40, A5020, A5040.

Personally, I think this is more than a bit offensive, kind of a violation to real Amigas and their history. Parasite marketing if you like. I think they have gone too far this time.

If they wanted to drop the "X" part (after having "invested" so much into the whole "what is the X", "Xorro", "Xena" and whatever), a better naming scheme would IMHO be to use the CPU names to differ them, since it will be the same motherboard with the various CPU's as the only difference, like "Amigaone p5020".

What do you think? What's an "A4000" to you, for example?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
Re: Regarding the naming of new A-eon systems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
Well to be honest I would not like to see the "A" prefix on PPC hardware at all since "A" followed by a number feels like 68K Amiga machines to me.

Why have they decided to use the "A", what will it stand for?

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;750560
Parasite marketing if you like. I think they have gone too far this time.

Oh - interesting. I like that. They should have done that much earlier - the more aggressive, the better. A common, legacy aware naming scheme for both ACube and A-Eon hardware should have been settled much earlier.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
Personally, I think this is more than a bit offensive*snip*

oh what a surprise that you think this, and nice job on slanting the facts in a way to promote your agenda.

if anyone wants to hear what was actually discussed then just watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAq23xRiISI

Offline billyfish

• Show only replies by billyfish
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »

Personally, I think this is more than a bit offensive, kind of a violation to real Amigas and their history. Parasite marketing if you like. I think they have gone too far this time.

Crikey if you're "seriously offended" by this, god only knows how you'll cope in the real world! :-)

FWIW, they can call them them anything they want for all I care

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »
Using numbers associated with the classic systems we all know, prefixed with the letter 'A' will just lead to confusion on the forums. This is completely retarded. I get that there's a want to pay tribute to the original systems, and that's fine, but the naming schema should easily reflect that these systems aren't classic machines because people are going to shorthand the names. Nobody's going to write out "AmigaOne A3000" if that's the official name. They're going to write "a3000". Prefix with the letter 'X' or come up with a different numbering scheme. When classic users are googling for info and support about classic machines, they shouldn't be pulling up posts about OS 4 kit that has nothing to do with what they're looking for.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
Let them write A3000. I think you're all getting confused. The only Amigas with an A prefix were the A1200 and the A600.  All the other classics had no such prefix in front of their number.
Let them name them what they want.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 12:54:23 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;750577
Using numbers associated with the classic systems we all know, prefixed with the letter 'A' will just lead to confusion on the forums. This is completely retarded. I get that there's a want to pay tribute to the original systems, and that's fine, but the naming schema should easily reflect that these systems aren't classic machines because people are going to shorthand the names. Nobody's going to write out "AmigaOne A3000" if that's the official name. They're going to write "a3000". Prefix with the letter 'X' or come up with a different numbering scheme. When classic users are googling for info and support about classic machines, they shouldn't be pulling up posts about OS 4 kit that has nothing to do with what they're looking for.

Totally agree.

I have nothing against A-Eon wanting to promote their appreciation of, and background in, the classic Amiga this way - it's good marketing - but confusion with existing model numbers should be avoided at all costs.

Hell, x3000 x5000/20 and x5000/40 would do just fine.

x1, x3, x5 - they are supposed to be 'odd' computers after all ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:57:10 PM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline mechy

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
Regardless of there being no official A3000 etc they should not rename their machines with numbers to cause confusion with the original amigas. I don't know of a anyone who has never said A3000,A2000 etc. It will just cause confusion.
Besides there are plenty of letters in thealphabet left and a boatload numbers out there, let them pick some not used by the original machines.

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Quote from: Derf;750570
if anyone wants to hear what was actually discussed then just watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAq23xRiISI

Indeed, the discussion starts at 18m55s.

Quote from: billyfish;750572
Crikey if you're "seriously offended" by this, god only knows how you'll cope in the real world! :-)

FWIW, they can call them them anything they want for all I care

Had they called it "PS3" you can bet your left hand that some PS3 enthusiasts would have been upset, because it's not a Playstation 3 (and Sony would come after them of course, since this is an unregistered trademark they use, but that's not my point). Or if a new car manufacturer that's going to produce a brand new car model would market it under an abandoned (but well known) model name from another, dead, manufacturer, despite the model has nothing at all to do with that old one, then you can bet your right hand that there will be an angry bunch of veteran car enthusiasts who are devoted to that *real* model, since it has nothing to do with the cars they are interested in, and it only causes confusion. Or if the MorphOS team would rename their OS to "AOS 5" ("AOS" not meaning *anything* here of course, especially not anything close to "Amiga"), you don't think people would be upset?

So cut down on the insults, don't play stupid and and don't tell me you can't see the controversy here. Maybe you don't care, but I can assure you I'm not the only one who does.

Quote from: koaftder;750577

+1 on everything and all you wrote!

Quote from: gertsy;750578
Let them write A3000. I think you're all getting confused. The only Amigas with an A prefix were the A1200 and the A600.  All the other classics had no such prefix in front of their number.

It's a de-facto naming convention; *all* real Amiga models can be shortened with an "A"+model number. Everyone does this, all the time, and everyone understands.

Quote from: Boot_WB;750579
Totally agree.

I have nothing against A-Eon wanting to promote their appreciation of, and background in, the classic Amiga this way - it's good marketing - but confusion with existing model numbers should be avoided at all costs.

Hell, x3000 x5000/20 and x5000/40 would do just fine.

x1, x3, x5 - they are supposed to be 'odd' computers after all ;)

+1 on this one too! And it's not "good marketing", it's *bad* marketing. IMHO it's unethical, it's parasite marketing, and it will create a lot of badwill for them.

Quote from: mechy;750584
Regardless of there being no official A3000 etc they should not rename their machines with numbers to cause confusion with the original amigas. I don't know of a anyone who has never said A3000,A2000 etc. It will just cause confusion.
Besides there are plenty of letters in thealphabet left and a boatload numbers out there, let them pick some not used by the original machines.

+1, couldn't agree more! The real reason for them going "A" should be clear to anyone. The logical thing would be to stick with the "X", or as you say, there are lots of different letters (if you for some reason want to continue with the stupid "letter plus 4-digit-number" scheme, like for example "P5020" (like the processor's name). Or you could simply give it a proper name based on a real word or something). Even "A5000" or "A6000" etc would be kind of ugly IMHO.

:pissed:
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »
This will be a mess that both sides will have to explain all the time for newcomers to both the original Amiga retro systems and these new PPC systems. Lots of confusion.

And yes, I see it as some kind of parasitic marketing, and in that way it feels like a cheap knock off. Imagine if a company named a great smartphone they recently designed IFone 5. How would you feel about them?

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
awesome we have guaranteed hardware for 10 years and from a trusted supplier (Motorola=Freescale
 ;-) ).

as for the naming I agree that we should stay away from A anything and I'd much prefer to see the new boards called X3000, X4020, X4040 following the X1000's lead of course :-D
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
It looks like wawrzon's prediction was spot on!

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=750422&postcount=10
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline psxphill

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;750578
Let them write A3000. I think you're all getting confused. The only Amigas with an A prefix were the A1200 and the A600. All the other classics had no such prefix in front of their number.

In terms of the badges that is true, however in terms of what the product was called it's not so clear.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;750592
Indeed, the discussion starts at 18m55s.

Had they called it "PS3" you can bet your left hand that some PS3 enthusiasts would have been upset, because it's not a Playstation 3 (and Sony would come after them of course, since this is an unregistered trademark they use, but that's not my point). Or if a new car manufacturer that's going to produce a brand new car model would market it under an abandoned (but well known) model name from another, dead, manufacturer, despite the model has nothing at all to do with that old one, then you can bet your right hand that there will be an angry bunch of veteran car enthusiasts who are devoted to that *real* model, since it has nothing to do with the cars they are interested in, and it only causes confusion. Or if the MorphOS team would rename their OS to "AOS 5" ("AOS" not meaning *anything* here of course, especially not anything close to "Amiga"), you don't think people would be upset?
So cut down on the insults, don't play stupid and and don't tell me you can't see the controversy here. Maybe you don't care, but I can assure you I'm not the only one who does.

+1 on everything and all you wrote!

It's a de-facto naming convention; *all* real Amiga models can be shortened with an "A"+model number. Everyone does this, all the time, and everyone understands.

:pissed:

Me and THM on agreement? Well, I disliked that policy with C=USA so I play fair and vote for NAME AND NUMBERS RESERVATIONS AND NOT MARKETING,

Its next line to AmigaOne x1000

Logically should be AmigaOne x2000 or 2020/2040
or X2000 and X4000
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja