Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS Milestone: 2000+ licenses sold  (Read 6787 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
MorphOS Milestone: 2000+ licenses sold
« on: September 07, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »
It has been a long time coming, but finally the amount of MorphOS registrations has passed the 2000 mark!

http://www.morphzone.info/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5875&forum=14&start=600

Congratulations to the MorphOS team!

:D
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline nicholas

Re: MorphOS Milestone: 2000+ licenses sold
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
Wouldn't linking to the actual official announcement be better?

http://www.morphzone.info/modules/news/article_storyid_2068.html
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;747215
Wouldn't linking to the actual official announcement be better?

http://www.morphzone.info/modules/news/article_storyid_2068.html

Thanks!

:)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
I've really gotta get a supported mac g5 and get morphos. From everything I have seen, it really is "amiga done right!".

I wonder is amiga0s4 sold 2000 copies. I really doubt it...

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
MorphOS: Celebrating 2000 Registrations
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:35:13 AM »
New from ASiegal via MorphZone

In order to celebrate the 2000th MorphOS registration, we'd like to thank our users for their support since the introduction of the MorphOS 2.0 in 2008. Since MorphOS 2.4, we've been expanding our hardware base to a variety of Apple PowerPC computers, including their excellent portables. The adoption rate of the Mac mini quickly surpassed the bPlan machines, and the Mini still remains the most popular MorphOS platform.

Hardware Statistics:

In order to celebrate the 2000th MorphOS registration, we'd like to thank our users for their support since the introduction of the MorphOS 2.0 in 2008. Since MorphOS 2.4, we've been expanding our hardware base to a variety of Apple PowerPC computers, including their excellent portables. The adoption rate of the Mac mini quickly surpassed the bPlan machines, and the Mini still remains the most popular MorphOS platform.

Hardware Statistics:

37% Mac Mini  

25% Pegasos 2

12% Powerbooks  

9% PowerMac G4

8% Efika  

4% Pegasos 1

3% PowerMac G5  

2% Others
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:36:48 AM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
a1200 060

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »
First off congrats to the MorphOS team as I've tried it on a friends system and its a very polished & professional OS; however, that being said,
From a similar thread over at amigawotld.net:

Considering most MOS users I know have at least 2 or more registrations that's hopefully close to 1000 users. Now don't get me wrong this can only be good news but I honestly thought there'd be alot more. So much for the 'cheap hardware will bring the masses' crowd.
It appears there's a lot more than cheap entry into ones decision in choosing an alternative OS.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:24:25 AM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;747243
First off congrats to the MorphOS team as I've tried it on a friends system and its a very polished & professional OS; however, that being said,

Considering most MOS users I know have at least 2 or more registrations that's hopefully close to 1000 users. Now don't get me wrong this can only be good news but I honestly thought there'd be alot more. So much for the 'cheap hardware will bring the masses' crowd.
It appears there's a lot more than cheap entry into ones decision in choosing an alternative OS.

Not to be rude and playing devil's advocate here, but it's AW.net. Do you honestly think "most AW.net users" have anything POSITIVE to say about MorphOS? It's the anti-christ to the majority of them there. That statement is just DRIPPING with diatribe.

And not to be a dick, but we don't really see OS4 releasing numbers, do we? ;)

This red vs blue sh!t is getting old as f*ck............:evil:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;747246
Not to be rude and playing devil's advocate here, but it's AW.net. Do you honestly think "most AW.net users" have anything POSITIVE to say about MorphOS? It's the anti-christ to the majority of them there. That statement is just DRIPPING with diatribe.

And not to be a dick, but we don't really see OS4 releasing numbers, do we? ;)

To also play devils advocate :) , the statement wasn't put in the context of OS4 vs MorphOS. My own estimate is 700-1000 individual users, so a bald '1000 users' is probably on the optimistic side of realism.

He is also right about the cheap, plentiful hardware - I've made the same point myself on MZ. Cheap & available hardware are great things which lower barriers to entry, However if MorphOS team wants to increase numbers beyond the current small pool of remaining Amiga-fans, they still need to entice people to enter. That means some form of marketing (shudder) outside the community forums.

wrt the 'inactive users' point (and also zzd10h's strange comments) I'm sure there are some inactive users, but given that registrations only started in 2008 I doubt it's a large proportion - at least compared to the ~2004 userbase (when it was free) and commercially backed with kickass new hardware.

This red vs blue sh!t is getting old as f*ck............:evil:

It was born old. ;)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline pVC

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »
So much for the 'cheap hardware will bring the masses' crowd.

Well, I think it's quite unrealistic to think that "the masses" would come unless OS is free and runs on x86 and even then it's quite unrealistic to think that they'd stay long enough to start loving the Amiga OS as we do :) But what's left from high end Amiga users "masses" it's very attractive for them and I guess it's succeeded on that area... 61-63% of the registered systems are Mac hw now. I'd think total amount and activity would be much smaller without these cheap options.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 11:09:45 AM »

I see it in different manner: without cheap hardware there would be less users.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline kamelito

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Quote from: itix;747252
I see it in different manner: without cheap hardware there would be less users.

Impossible to say since no new HW was available for Morphos so you can't compare it's just a guess :)  Kamelito

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
Considering most MOS users I know have at least 2 or more registrations that's hopefully close to 1000 users.

That sounds reasonable IMHO. Some users of course have only one MorphOS system registered, while others may have a couple, but an average of 2 copies per user does indeed sound like a fair guesstimate.

A few years ago, most people would guess around 700 users, but a lot has been happening to both MorphOS's features and the supported HW platforms since then that without doubt has made the package more attractive. So about 1000 (more or less active) users, or perhaps "unique license owners" would be more appropriate in this context, seems indeed very realistic.

I honestly thought there'd be alot more.

Then I think your expectations about the interest in "Alternative" OS's in general and Amiga related OS's in particular in 2013 is very unrealistic, especially since it's only running on PPC machines with 2005 (tops) level performance. It's obviously only the surviving but steadily diminishing Amiga community that cares. When (if) it would get to run on modern HW like x86, then the situation may become different. Until it does, this is very good numbers IMHO.

This is a lot better than I personally dared to hope for! :)

So much for the 'cheap hardware will bring the masses' crowd. It appears there's a lot more than cheap entry into ones decision in choosing an alternative OS.

The diversity of available HW platforms (both tiny footprint, big box and laptops) has only been good for MorphOS, the statistics clearly shows that if you look at how the graph develops during a month after support for a new platform has been introduced. In several occasions it has also made the graph steeper (an increase in the growth rate, that has then lasted). In retrospect, the decision to support second hand, mainstream PPC Mac HW was a brilliant move. The low cost, the diversity and the performance (the Mac PPC HW represents the peak of PPC, it's as far as the PPC ever went on desktops/laptops) has definitely paid off! :)

These license numbers could not have been reached without the Mac HW support. It surely made MorphOS a lot more available to Amiga enthusiasts. Which for obvious reasons are the only ones interested in MorphOS, not "the masses" as you seem to believe. It's all a zero sum game within the ever-shrinking Amiga (NG) community. And for sure these high numbers could *never* have happened if the MorphOS team had put their hope to €1,000 Sam 460 systems or $3,000+ X1000 systems.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Re: MorphOS: Celebrating 2000 Registrations
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;747239
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65866

Thanx, threads merged.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: MorphOS: Celebrating 2000 Registrations
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
It's the price of the license, not the hardware that's stopping the numbers being higher than they are. I know more than a few people who use MOS on occasion, but are unwilling to shell out $200-ish for a license (that's a full "modern" computer price).

And before the usual suspects get their panties in a twist, this isnt a criticism (I like MOS, and its much more attractive than OS4.x to me in regards to pricing), just a simple truth (from someone who has no interest in playing favorites). In reality there's more people using MOS than the registrations suggest, its just that not all are willing, or able to afford a license.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.